Sponsored by:

Who sells tuning software??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:30 PM
nitrorocket
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who sells tuning software??

Who sells DIY tuning software for these motors, I want to be able to tune the AFR and timing.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:05 AM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure about the DIY part but Kevin at www.ultimatemotorwerks.com makes some very good software ECU flashing. I'm sure you could work with him to write something custom you would like.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:05 PM
nitrorocket
Instructor

Thanks, I will have to contact them.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:32 AM
MidnighTT
Racer

I've recently (this week!) made the jump from a supercharged C5 to a beautiful midnight blue 996tt. I've been doing my own tuning for almost 10 years, first with a supercharged Camaro and then the Corvette. Is there a DIY option for our cars? I understand that the pro tuners know what they're doing, but it's very nice to go out for a Sunday drive and flash in little tweaks.

Jeff
Old 03-17-2007, 12:36 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

How well do you know Bosch code?

Last edited by wross996tt; 03-18-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:03 AM
MidnighTT
Racer

Originally Posted by wross996tt
How well do you know Bosche code?
Not at all, unfortunately. I never had to dig into Chevy code because there were so many bright guys hacking into it. I simply bought the tools they developed. What I did get good at was filling in the tables with values that made my car perform better.

So I am a tuning tool user, not a tuning tool developer.

Jeff
Old 03-17-2007, 01:15 AM
nitrorocket
Instructor

That is all I want to find. Any software that I could buy for the 996, I would be able to figure out. Just need to locate the software that is available, if any. Otherwise it's going to be reverting to oold tricks like bumping fuel pressure at certain boost and or rpm levels and tricking the MAF.

Do these cars run on wide or narrow band O2's??
Old 03-17-2007, 11:10 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

There are 2 types of modified ECU programming I am aware of....Piggyback which uses multipliers of the Bosch code (litttle algorythms) and re-written Bosch code. Very few (in the world) have the ability to re-write the Bosch code...it is kind of secret. GIAC, Upsolute, REVO, 9ff...all offer plug and play ECU tunes (there are others of course). Kevin at UMW will modify programming as you like. I am sure it is possible to DIY, but no one makes it easy for you...

Last edited by wross996tt; 03-18-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:30 AM
nitrorocket
Instructor

The plug and play is fine for the upgrade packages they sell, but not a custom application done by someone else.
Example, If I go with the TT motor, I will be upgrading the turbos, fuel injectors, making my own custom intercoolers, using a programmable boost controller instead of the standard PCM(Allows different boost setting in each gear to gain optimal traction), and different wastegates.

There tunes will not work with these custom changes because they are not a part of a pre-tuned (kit) that they tuned for.

Anybody know how many bar or PSI of boost the stock MAP sensor can handle??
Old 03-17-2007, 11:31 AM
MidnighTT
Racer

Originally Posted by wross996tt
GIAC, Upsolute, REVO, 9ff...all offer plug and play ECU tunes (there are others of course). Kevin at UMW
That list is VERY helpful to a noob trying to get a handle on what's out there - thanks!

Jeff
Old 03-17-2007, 12:27 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
There tunes will not work with these custom changes because they are not a part of a pre-tuned (kit) that they tuned for.
THEIR tunes...actually many of those off the shelf programs work with other modifications. Kevin builds his own turbos/custom kits as well and writes his own programs to "match". Give him a call.

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
Anybody know how many bar or PSI of boost the stock MAP sensor can handle??
First for Porsche it is a MAF (m*** air flow) sensor. There is much debate on the "rating" of the MAF. Current theory suggests there are a number of factors that affect may the MAF...air flow, turbulence of the air flow, environment (e.g., altitude) and HP. It is not the boost per se that affects it, but the amount of/condition of the air that flows over the MAF.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:43 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Looks like I'll need to mind my spellllling on this forum. Seriously, my boosted GM cars have both a MAP and a MAF sensor. Both have their limitations, but it's the MAF that can really hold a boosted engine back. I was able to tune my supercharged Camaro to run quite well despite the factory ECU being limited to a 1 bar MAP sensor.

Jeff
Old 03-17-2007, 01:54 PM
nitrorocket
Instructor

Sorry, I failed english class!

Do the porsches have the MAP (MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE) sensor built into the MAF(MASS AIR FLOW) sensor like the C5 vettes??
Most cars have them seperate, the MAF measures vulume of air to help the more keep the fuel mixture in line with actual air consumption. Works great as it can compensate for changes in air density from temp changes and humidity.
Many high HP cars have to ditch this and go to a calculated speed density route due to flow reading limitations of the MAF. Or you can run 2 parrallel to eachother and split the reading before the PCM or in the PCM.

The MAP sensor reads actual manifold pressure to tell the PCM the load on a motor based on TPS podition to choose the correct VE calculations from the maps in the pcm. The PCM uses the actual engine vacume or boost reading, intake temps, air temps, engine temps, and throttle position to choose the correct cell for correct fuel management through the fuel injectors and keep the car running at the desired AFR.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:38 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

You are not in a GM any more!
Old 03-17-2007, 03:30 PM
nitrorocket
Instructor

I know, that is why I am trying to find all the "hacking" info I can, I would rather try to find some info on tuning software Can the current tuners out there tune a TT motor to 650 crank hp on 93 octane???

That is what I am hoping for and I imagine someone is going to charge $3k plus to tune that.

Monday I will have to call some shops and see what they can do and what they charge for tuning.

Quick Reply: Who sells tuning software??