Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 322 Likes on 222 Posts

It comes down to tuning a car that is made in Germany.

Call your local Porsche dealership and ask what a crate 996TT is worth..

I can replace my Caddy 6.0 ltr for $5,700.00 and yes I have the Delphi ECU cranked up.. It's a little different animal comparing the protocol between the two models. Do a online search for the Porsche PIWIS or now obsolete PST2 tester and see how much that will set you back $$$.

At the 650 level you are looking at injectors, MAF solution, turbochargers, intake system, exhaust. Then custom tuning..

If your game, pull off the motronic and install a stand alone system..
Old 03-17-2007, 04:36 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And say goodby to smog /OBD
Old 03-17-2007, 05:34 PM
nitrorocket
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a waiver for emmissions if you pay enough. I am also pretty sure you can install a motor(tt) into the car as long as it was an option that year, which it is. As far as passing emmisions, that will not be a problem with a modified TT motor if tuned correctly.

I am aware of most of what will be involved, What software do the tuners use??? That is basically what I am asking...
Old 03-18-2007, 12:19 AM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can the current tuners out there tune a TT motor to 650 crank hp on 93 octane???
YES and much more. There are guys talking about 800+ HP on these cars. Of course you are then talking about modifying internals at that point. 600-700 is actually fairly easy from what I have read so far. Shoot you can take a stock 420 HP and do a 1 bar program, exhaust, air filter, and upgraded diverter valves (for reliability only) and be over 500 HP. Isn't much of a stretch to change turbos, intercoolers, etc... and another extra 100 HP is yours
Old 03-18-2007, 12:10 PM
C DeVito
Racer

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
I am aware of most of what will be involved, What software do the tuners use??? That is basically what I am asking...
That is a great question I've never heard it asked or spoken on any forum before. In GM land you have LS1 Edit and others that allow anyone with the right skills to modify many aspects of a cars performance. In the P-car world it seems the knowledge stays with a small group of tuners. I don't know the reason. It could be a different model driven by a smaller user community or the design of the Bosch system versus GM's. There are plusses and minus to both.

Carmen
Old 03-24-2007, 04:54 PM
C DeVito
Racer

The only thing I've found that gives something close to the "Predator" used in GM land is the RevoTechNik.com SPS3 unit. Like GIAC they offer selectable valet, normal, perf, etc options but also allows the user to load different performance limits (boost, spark, etc) besides those offered by them. You still need a scanning package if you are going to set your own parameters. This is not exactly what you've asked for, but I haven't found anything like LS1Edit for P-cars, yet.

Carmen
Old 03-24-2007, 09:59 PM
nitrorocket
Instructor

Bummer... What software do the tuners use??? Who sells it?
Old 03-25-2007, 10:02 AM
MGS996
Racer

I have spent the past month or so searching for Software/Hardware which allows for ‘Real time Tuning’ of my recent acquired 996TT. Only product located so far is sold by Dimsport (located at dimsport.com). Application list includes 996TT. (Bosch ME7.8). Product is called a MET 16 Emulator. Not sure what others are using. Hope this helps !
Old 03-25-2007, 10:30 AM
C DeVito
Racer

This is a great find and looks like the real deal. They seem to be able to monitor and change using their Race program (555 Pro) or the Met 16 or make limited changes using the hand held OBDII Genius console. I don't know if the current tuners use this software but it looks like it has what is needed by the Pro Racer, Tuner, or Tweaker.

Carmen
Old 03-25-2007, 11:00 AM
roadsterdoc
Advanced

...Do the porsches have the MAP (MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE) sensor built into the MAF(MASS AIR FLOW) sensor like the C5 vettes??...
No, just the MAF, made by Bosche. It seems to be a weak link when pushing beyond 650hp. I read that the 997TT has two (or more) of these instead of our single unit. Someone out there has modified a Hitachi MAF to work, but unfortunatley the info is not available. It seems to be less limited than the Bosche units (probably cheaper, too).

As far as software to tune the Bosche Motronic ECU, well, it hasn't trickled down to us DIYer's...yet...maybe you will be the one to change this. I have faith in you and will call you Neo, the chosen one.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:48 AM
MidnighTT
Racer

Originally Posted by MGS996
I have spent the past month or so searching for Software/Hardware which allows for ‘Real time Tuning’ of my recent acquired 996TT. Only product located so far is sold by Dimsport (located at dimsport.com). Application list includes 996TT. (Bosch ME7.8). Product is called a MET 16 Emulator. Not sure what others are using. Hope this helps !
This *is* a great find - thanks! Now if only I could read Italian. The Google page translation was typically humorous.

Jeff
Old 03-26-2007, 01:18 AM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

Who sells DIY tuning software for these motors, I want to be able to tune the AFR and timing.
We're in the process of developing a tuning solution right now. Similar to what we've been using with the twin turbo BMW 335i which very good success. It's not done yet. Nor are we a forum vendor/sponsor yet. But once we have something done, we'll provide as much info as you request. As well as become an official supporter of this forum

Cheers,
shiv
Old 03-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Kiko
Racer

Bummer... What software do the tuners use??? Who sells it?
I apologise if I sound arrogant whgich is not my intention... but here's goes.

Why don't you just SEARCH and lurk around absorbing some of knoledge around. You will soon realized the car's complexity and your own limitations to do a sucessfull, reliable job without the years long expertise needed to play with these cars. Just don't be too confident once you've eventually got your hands on this software please remember each of these reconditioned engine costs half of what these cars are worth.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:41 AM
roadsterdoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by MidnighTT
This *is* a great find - thanks! Now if only I could read Italian. The Google page translation was typically humorous.

Jeff
Click on the British flag at the top of the page and magically the text will appear in English.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:49 AM
roadsterdoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
We're in the process of developing a tuning solution right now. Similar to what we've been using with the twin turbo BMW 335i which very good success. It's not done yet. Nor are we a forum vendor/sponsor yet. But once we have something done, we'll provide as much info as you request. As well as become an official supporter of this forum

Cheers,
shiv
Shiv,

Man, you pop up everywhere. I don't know if you remember me, but a had a 1.8 Miata with a bastardized BEGI system...T3 with super 60 trim, done by you here in Arlington (originally for a guy in FL). I know you moved on to EVOs and STIs, didn't know you were doing the 335i. Welcome to the Porsche world. Everybody keep an eye on Shiv...he always comes up with something innovative (and often controversial). We will benefit from his touch.

Chris

Quick Reply: Who sells tuning software??