Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6speedonline WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:35 AM
blueillusion97
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tryed to register to that webiste numerous times...but then i found rennlist so i gave up for a while on 6speedonline...Well i dont know if im considered a kid by your standarts, im 20...but i sure dont pretend that i own a porsche or lie just to look cool. Im here just to talk to people because i love porsches ever since i was 9 and i am planning to own one as soon as i can support a life style of a porsche owner.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

I just tried to register and got the whole "Your email address has been banned" thing too...

Sounds like a bad way to run a board...
Mike
Old 02-24-2007, 02:11 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I couldnt register with my yahoo address but it took my earthlink one. That was last week and they still dont think I am worthy enough to post so the hell with them. Let the kids have their playground overthere
Old 02-24-2007, 07:10 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
I couldnt register with my yahoo address but it took my earthlink one. That was last week and they still dont think I am worthy enough to post so the hell with them. Let the kids have their playground overthere
Jim and others, it is a good site and lots of good info. But as anything there are occasional silly posts, but still entertaining.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:48 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Tom I know this if off topic but how are the X-50 for autocross. The Citrus region PCA is having one next sunday and I am torn between which to take as I have never done one in the turbo!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:14 AM
silvershark
Track Day

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by doccao
Eversince they dropped the rep points system last week, it has been a much more user friendly site. The rep thing was killing that forum...funny how alot of the regular rep/post guys suddenly disappeared.

Also, when I jumped into my TT I thought maybe I would be surrounded by an older more established bunch of car guys (instead of pre-pubic hair kids trolling the forums). After awhile, you start to get a feel of which guys are legit & knowledgable.
Man! am I bad, I have less than 40 posts in 2 weeks on 6speed. And I posted
something for sale. I was informed, I have to sit in the corner for I week
and think about what I have done."No Posts for you"
Also I have to write 1000 times on the chalk board" I will never post anything
for sale, untill I am worthy with 100 posts to my credit"
I feel as if I am in grade school once again.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:41 AM
C DeVito
Racer

Jim,
Tells us about the Auto-X experience with the TT. I used to do that alot and was also wondering how the X50 would do in that venue. I went to an SCCA event 2 years ago with the C5 and it seemed to be dominated (course design and results) by short wheelbase Japanese imports (WRX, S2000, etc).

Sorry for the hijack.

Carmen
Old 02-25-2007, 10:19 AM
golfguy
Racer

Default how to register with 6speedonline

Originally Posted by club411
I can't figure out if the moderators hate me or there is just nobody sailing that ship?

I have for the past year tried to join/post messages and just cant get approved. I have also sent about 5 emails to them... to no avail.

I have tried different email addresses figuring maybe that is the problem - still no luck

Anyone else have that problem?

Ray
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I just tried to register and got the whole "Your email address has been banned" thing too...

Sounds like a bad way to run a board...
Mike
i was finally able register with a domain from my isp after being banned using email addresses from the following domains:

- yahoo
- hotmail
- gmail

looks like the registration process for 6speedonline is automatically set to reject email addresses from domains with less rigorous verification of users.

i would suggest you register with email addresses from work or your isp.

Last edited by golfguy; 02-25-2007 at 03:01 PM. Reason: fixed typos
Old 02-25-2007, 02:48 PM
blueillusion97
Racer

I wanted to join 6speedonline but after reading how childish they are i will just wait untill they grow up
Old 02-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Craig.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the evolution of 6Speed is largely a result of the radical drop in the price of 996TTs, such that younger folks are now able to afford the cars. I suspect the average age of 996TT owners has declined considerably over the past four years. The new wave of twenty-something 996TT owners have had a profound impact on the nature of the discussion on 6Speed. Personally, I am not offended by the frequent inane musings. I rarely read the Off-Topic section of 6Speed, or any other forum, and I carefully screen which topics within the 996TT forum I read. There are guys on 6Speed that average over 100 posts per day (which speaks volumes about their lives). I have neither the time, nor the inclination, to read all of the threads and/or post vacuous "what he said" responses. I also concur that the Rep system was corrupting 6Speed by promoting wasteful posts for no other purpose than to increase ones Reps. I presume the elimination of the Rep system will reduce the fatuous posts.

I have been a member of Rennlist for almost 5 years and I regularly read this forum as well, albeit not as frequently as 6Speed. I enjoy much of the discussion here on Rennlist, and I fully recognize certain of the inherently superior aspects of Rennlist. The technical brain trust that exists here is second to none. That being said, I have also experienced a level of hostility, combativeness and disparagement here on Rennlist that I have not encountered on 6Speed, and those occasional clashes have soured me a bit on Rennlist. I understand that most of these skirmishes arose from a desire by certain informed and knowledgeable Rennlist members to educate the less informed, such as myself, but the manner in which the “education” was administered was, IMHO, far more aggressive, derogatory and demeaning than necessary. I have posted equally imbecilic posts on both forums. The members of 6Speed are quick to point out the fallacies in my logic and data, but without brow-beating me in the process. In contrast, my uninformed and poorly conceived posts here on Rennlist have, on occasion, been met with hostile rebuke and demeaning characterizations. This hostility has subconsciously dissuaded me from posting as frequently as I once did on Rennlist. Frankly, I do not participate on Porsche forums for the purpose of seeking out combative debates. I get more than my recommended allowance of hostility at work. I seek a more amicable environment for my hobby related discussions. I do not mean to suggest that blatant falsehoods should go without question. Rather, the accurate facts should be developed in a friendly and polite manner, with tolerance for morons such as myself. I have found 6Speed to be less combative, yet equally educational (posters such as Stephen K., Todd K., Jean, Todd Z., and Kevin, among others, are invaluable sources of information).

One final observation: I am not aware of any thread on 6Speed discussing Rennlist. Yet, this Rennlist thread discussing 6Speed is 6 pages long (84 posts), and growing, with over 2,700 views, and growing. Rennlist members that berate 6Speed as childish continue to read the forum on a regular basis. It reminds me of the great line from the Howard Stern movie. The general manager of the radio station reported that the average fan of Howard Stern listens to his radio show for 45 minutes every morning. The most common reason given for their patronage: they want to hear what Stern will say next. The average Stern hater listens to his show for 90 minutes every morning. Why do the Stern haters listen more than the Stern fans? The most common reason given: they want to hear what Stern will say next. Perhaps many Rennlist members continue to regularly peruse 6Speed, notwithstanding their condemnation of the forum, because they want to see what 6Speed members will say next????

BTW, this is not the first Rennlist thread discussing the relative attributes of 6Speed, nor will it likely be the last. I have no idea what should be gleaned by Rennlist’s frequent discussion of 6Speed (I removed the word “pre-occupation”), but it is certainly food for thought.

Craig
Old 02-25-2007, 08:16 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Craig,

Please keep posting on both forums. That's (almost) all I have to say

I've followed 6so since its inception. It's not as interesting today - perhaps I've gotten used to reading the same threads over and over again. And I don't know that it's the age thing (I'm 24!) - I suppose it could be, in part - but rather, it's gone from long-time enthusiasts who know (their) cars well to new owners who just know they have a fast car and have heard they can make it go faster. That, and the fact that it's growth, plain and simple. I joined Google several years ago where everyone knew each other, and the new people heard all the stories there were to tell after about a month on the job. Now there are people who will run in to Larry or Sergey in the hall and say "Hi, I'm Jim, what's your name?". The elastic in the 6so underwear is getting stretched a little too thin

Justin
Old 02-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Craig.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Justin,

My observation regarding changing trends in Porsche ownership does not imply anything pejorative about twenty-something Porsche owners. Rather, I am merely suggesting that older folks communicate somewhat differently than younger folks, including using a different vernacular, tone and point of reference, and the evolving nature of the communications on 6Speed may be reflective of these differences.

Jeez . . . I am beginning to sound like my father.

Craig
Old 02-25-2007, 08:36 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimq
Tom I know this if off topic but how are the X-50 for autocross. The Citrus region PCA is having one next sunday and I am torn between which to take as I have never done one in the turbo!
Jim, depends on the coarse. If it is slow and tight it will feel like a snowplow!!
Joe Weinstein is the autocross pro with this car maybe he will chime in!!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:40 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blueillusion97
I wanted to join 6speedonline but after reading how childish they are i will just wait untill they grow up
that in and of itself is a very childish decision. You have not even looked at the site and made a comment like that? You judge people by what others tell you and then not meet them and decide for yourself?? I think all people and things need a chance and then YOU decide for YOURSELF
Old 02-25-2007, 08:49 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Craig.
Justin,

My observation regarding changing trends in Porsche ownership does not imply anything pejorative about twenty-something Porsche owners. Rather, I am merely suggesting that older folks communicate somewhat differently than younger folks, including using a different vernacular, tone and point of reference, and the evolving nature of the communications on 6Speed may be reflective of these differences.

Jeez . . . I am beginning to sound like my father.

Craig
Craig,

I know I wasn't worried. Your point is well taken. And kids these days, with their crazy Pac-Man video games and Dan Fogelberg music - no wonder they aren't communicating the same way!

I think the most exciting thread I ever saw on 6so was when you had, what, hundreds of pictures of your engine build!

Cheers,
Justin

Quick Reply: 6speedonline WTF???