Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Comparison-Which really is best??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 06:32 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Exhaust Comparison-Which really is best??

I feel I'm about to open a "Pandora's Box", but out of complete and notorious ignorance I'm wondering what everyone's opinions and experiences are for the best exhaust systems out there for the 996 TT and TTS.

I've read and seen where there's a complete generic system available on Ebay for well under $2000 up to the most expensive manufacturer, Europipe. Then there's Fabspeed's newest "Gen 3" that is now being discussed on other posts, including questions about its 65mm ports vs. Europipes 70mm. Does this really make a difference? It's almost $2000 in price! Still, I've heard of Cargraphic, GHL and, blah, blah, blah...

You may notice from my signature below that I drive a Chrysler SRT8 w/ various mods. I started w/ only the CAI and catback exhaust (Magnaflows). Due to a midrange drone, I switched to CORSA, but lost some growl to the sound. I subsequently installed Kook's headers w/ high-flow cats and at first hated how loud she became, but now hate the thought of driving my stock exhaust TT. Can't believe I did this to myself, but time to upgrade the Porsche. (As a result of my hands on w/ my SRT8, I'm very leary of making the wrong decisions, eg, I currently have my engine light constantly on due to Kook's headers needing to create a flash that has yet to be done. Apparently, O2 sensors giving out false readings and it's a pain in the neck!) I don't want any problems w/ my 996.

I spent quite some time on the phone w/ Kevin (Ultimatewerks) and although he is admittedly biased to Europipe, he was very helpful and suggested I get open feedback. So, although it is my opion I've made the right choice on his programmer (thanks to all who PM'd me offline regarding that on other thread), I am curious to hear what everyone's experiences are.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

It depends on what the word "best" means to you.

If the exhaust's sound is what's important, then unless you actually hear, in person, the various exhausts you're considering, it's a crap shoot.

I believe the EP has the least amount of resonance. I also believe it has the highest build quality.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:23 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Qualifier

Dock-

You're right. I actually thought about what specifics I needed to include after I listed my post as it is truly "subjective."

Let's face it, the sound is going to be as diverse as many ears exists. However, I am still interested in hearing those subjective comments, but in addition, I'm looking for feedback on issues like engine drone, or lack thereof, performance increases, workmanship/quality (I've seen certain threads where systems are coming apart at welds), service support, and also the ever so importance issue of cost to name a few.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

Although the exhaust's sound is subjective, it is still a very important consideration. The only good answer to this is to hear some exhausts in person.

IMO, the EP has the least amount of drone...essentially none. I believe it has the best build quality/workmanship hands down. Stef provides just GREAT customer support...but he lives in Europe, so that might be a slight down side. EP is also relatively expensive...but you get what you pay for.

In terms of performance improvements, I noticed some throttle response improvements with the EP (70mm piping). It's HP/TQ improvements are I believe better than average...but it depends (like so many things) on where in the rpm band you're talking about.

In the end, I decided on the EP2 Loud because the sound was what I liked, there was no resonance, it was the best build exhaust available, and because Stef is such a good guy (stands behind his product). After lining up all of these considerations, the cost issue resolved itself...
Old 01-22-2007, 12:34 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Dock has it right...EP is the standard all others compare to. And it gets better with age.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

One thing that one must always keep in mind is the resale dollars that one gets when we want to sell our Europipe...

Over the years I have seen them for sale and have noted that they usually sell for $3,200-3,600 used.

With a few noted exceptions... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120074562763
Old 01-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EP stage 2 quiet (me) or loud. Period.

Unless you want loud and drone (some people dont mind it believe it or not!!)

MK
Old 01-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I sold my 3 year old EP2L for $3100 to a friend this past summer. It was a sad day sending her off on the bus to Toronto. I wouldn't entertain the thought of another brand.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want the largest hp increase, the original GT2 Fabspeed still reigns supreme above all commercially available brands. I bought one used a couple of months ago.........and still haven't grown big enough ***** to actually install it.

It just sits in the corner and glares at me menacingly
Old 01-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Fabspeed reigns supreme...if you are tone deaf!!

MK
Old 01-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The Europipe stage II also produced the best total power under the curve,
according to the side-by-side comparison a few years ago, ceding to
the FabSpeed at the highest RPM.
Joe
Old 01-23-2007, 04:28 PM
red993tt
Racer

John
I have owned and heard most. Europipe has the best sound and quality plus it's the most wanted items in the classified section.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
The Europipe stage II also produced the best total power under the curve,
according to the side-by-side comparison a few years ago, ceding to
the FabSpeed at the highest RPM.
Joe
Nope, only up to 3500 rpm (just looked again to confirm), which honestly means nothing in turbo cars where all the action is 3000 to 6500.....where the Fabspeed Super Sport wiped it out

If power gain is secondary to civility, EP is the choice

On the other hand, if sanity is secondary.......Fabspeed is your Dr Feelgood
Old 01-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

k, thanks, where's that link again?
Joe
Old 01-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

No that's not true.. We want the turbochargers to spool quicker in the 0-3500 RPM range.. That gives us the slingshot effect.. LAG is everything in torque under the curve. That's why in TUNE my engine packages with the Europipe.. I can bank on the flow and this benifits my turbochargers. I want them to get out of the hole and I can then program for this early benifit=monster bottom end torque..

Quick Reply: Exhaust Comparison-Which really is best??