Sponsored by:

OBD2 programming!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 03:58 AM
Jon Elliott
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD2 programming!

I researched high and low for 6 months to find the right ECU programming for my 01 996 TT. If any of you have engaged in the same experience, it is quite a ride of disinformation and information overload.

There are retailers that offer solutions from solder on ECU hardware, to those that need your ECU shipped to them for programming to, what I consider the least obtrusive option, an OBD2 upload from a palm sized programmer.

In my travels to Europe, I always like to pick up any magazine that is focused on 911's for information that we (US folks) can't get local. I ran across an OBD2 programmer that is widely respected as a top solution and programmed by one of the top tuners in the UK. This, through research, I learned was offered in the states by one of the #1 turbo builders in the US, Ultimate Motorwerks.

For those of you that are familiar with Ultimate Motorwerks and Kevin, the owner, you are well aware of his amazing knowledge and customer service. I have to be honest, I have contacted many vendors and each had a unique and conflicting assessment of ECU tuning and the approach. With Kevin, he was very balanced in his assessment and advice.

In my years of working on domestic cars and selling services and goods, it became clear to me, that the retailer with the most balanced view has the most balanced solution.

I just uploaded my Stage 1 program tonight that Kevin provided while he is building my Stage 2 kit. I have to admit it was even easier that I could have imagined. I plugged the bad boy in to my OBD2 port and in 2 minutes, BAM!, I had another ~75 hp and lbs of torque on hand.

I'll give performance stats in the next few days but, for those of you looking for a Stage 1 setup, this is clearly the cleanest and easiest approach out there. Since Stage 1 kits are pretty standard from the major vendors, the way that you apply them and the service you receive, is the most important variable.

I'll keep you all posted on my build as it progresses.

Thank you Kevin and Ultimate MotorWerks!

Jon
Old 11-02-2006, 07:19 AM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by Jon Elliott
I researched high and low for 6 months to find the right ECU programming for my 01 996 TT. If any of you have engaged in the same experience, it is quite a ride of disinformation and information overload.

There are retailers that offer solutions from solder on ECU hardware, to those that need your ECU shipped to them for programming to, what I consider the least obtrusive option, an OBD2 upload from a palm sized programmer.

In my travels to Europe, I always like to pick up any magazine that is focused on 911's for information that we (US folks) can't get local. I ran across an OBD2 programmer that is widely respected as a top solution and programmed by one of the top tuners in the UK. This, through research, I learned was offered in the states by one of the #1 turbo builders in the US, Ultimate Motorwerks.

For those of you that are familiar with Ultimate Motorwerks and Kevin, the owner, you are well aware of his amazing knowledge and customer service. I have to be honest, I have contacted many vendors and each had a unique and conflicting assessment of ECU tuning and the approach. With Kevin, he was very balanced in his assessment and advice.

In my years of working on domestic cars and selling services and goods, it became clear to me, that the retailer with the most balanced view has the most balanced solution.

I just uploaded my Stage 1 program tonight that Kevin provided while he is building my Stage 2 kit. I have to admit it was even easier that I could have imagined. I plugged the bad boy in to my OBD2 port and in 2 minutes, BAM!, I had another ~75 hp and lbs of torque on hand.

I'll give performance stats in the next few days but, for those of you looking for a Stage 1 setup, this is clearly the cleanest and easiest approach out there. Since Stage 1 kits are pretty standard from the major vendors, the way that you apply them and the service you receive, is the most important variable.

I'll keep you all posted on my build as it progresses.

Thank you Kevin and Ultimate MotorWerks!

Jon
Congrats..another happy customer. kevin G
Old 11-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

Jon, well you definately must have receive the unit!!! Glad to give you a "Stop Gap" performance file before working some Stage 2 magic.. Hopefully we will see some nice weather this weekend..
Old 11-02-2006, 12:21 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Welcome to the UMW family. Now for some of those nice new hybrid turbos!
Old 11-02-2006, 02:30 PM
red993tt
Racer

2 minutes to download? It only took me 1.
Congrats.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:40 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin
Jon, well you definately must have receive the unit!!! Glad to give you a "Stop Gap" performance file before working some Stage 2 magic.. Hopefully we will see some nice weather this weekend..
ZC perhaps.....
Old 11-10-2006, 11:54 PM
live2shift
Advanced

Default Any Stat's Jon?

So Jon, Any performance stat's? Still "in-Love"?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:01 AM
esemes
Intermediate

so you dont need to mail in your ECU for the flash??

((this has been a sticking point for me))

is the loader included in the cost, and is it reversible/selectable??

more info!

-ese
Old 11-13-2006, 10:20 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by esemes
so you dont need to mail in your ECU for the flash??
((this has been a sticking point for me))
is the loader included in the cost, and is it reversible/selectable??
more info!
-ese
No, the programmer is sent to you. You plug it in and download your car's persoanl ID. Then ship the programmer back to UMWs. Kevin writes programs on (up to 8 incuding stock) and ships the unit back. You simply plug the unit in and choose the program you want and within a minute you are good to go. The programmer is smaller than a deck of cards.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:36 AM
esemes
Intermediate

^^^ fantastic!!^^^

thnx

-ese
Old 11-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Jon Elliott
Advanced

No chance to get stats yet but the thing hits 1 bar faster than it hit my past .7! It is now as fast as my modified C5 ZO6 was. Now it is tme to go after the 997 TT and the C6 Z06's....

Quick Reply: OBD2 programming!