Dyno Numbers Are In : A Lesson In Power Under The Curve

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by KPG
The weight is a number the tech put in from EPA files on the car... do not know why. Go over to 6speed and ask him. He posted and is his name is Rico930 . Kevin
No need to ask him...you just answered my question.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:33 PM
KPG
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dyno tech this morning is a Rennlister and a 6speeder and he sent me over a file comparing his stock TT dyno graph overlaid on my data. Interesting comparison. Kevin
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

You mentioned that he has the Stage 4 on his car, so he has that dyno file. Ask him to overlay that one..
Old 10-23-2006, 10:37 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin
You mentioned that he has the Stage 4 on his car, so he has that dyno file. Ask him to overlay that one..
Now your being mean Kevin
Old 10-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Here's a dyno of an EVO stage 4...from EVO:

Old 10-23-2006, 11:01 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

Kevin,

Congrats - those are great numbers.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 10-23-2006, 11:02 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by John D II
Kevin,

Congrats - those are great numbers.
Thanks John.... now if it doesnt snow there is 1/4 mile file on a FedEx plane as we speak. Kevin
Old 10-23-2006, 11:11 PM
rico930
6th Gear

Hey gents, it’s nice to hear terms like area under the curve etc. I see it every day with customers only worried about the peak hp #s and don't understand the dynamics of tractive effort and the motivating force behind what drives our cars to feel the way they do.
Kevin..very impressive results you should be commended. Coming from someone who does calibration ( on a GM scale) I think people don't appreciate the effort that goes into these things (except KPG). Very nice.

Dock
the weight comes from a spec provided by the EPA and it encompasses the vehicle equivalent weight (loaded with typical air pressure etc.), rolling resistance and "weight" of average passenger as well as cd equivalence.Thank God that is calculated for us lol I would hate to do that for every car. The dyno is an eddy current design and will actually increase resistance as speed goes up just like the conditions on the street.

Hey KPG thanks for making my Monday worthwhile...and to all, I have not run my stage 4 on the dyno yet.. I guess I have been to swamped lately (and slightly lazy)and I guess now I will have to do it to provide the data we are all wondering about

ps a camera next time is a great idea had I thought about it a would have grabbed the company one ...Damn!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:16 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by rico930
Hey gents, it’s nice to hear terms like area under the curve etc. I see it every day with customers only worried about the peak hp #s and don't understand the dynamics of tractive effort and the motivating force behind what drives our cars to feel the way they do.
Kevin..very impressive results you should be commended. Coming from someone who does calibration ( on a GM scale) I think people don't appreciate the effort that goes into these things (except KPG). Very nice.

Dock
the weight comes from a spec provided by the EPA and it encompasses the vehicle equivalent weight (loaded with typical air pressure etc.), rolling resistance and "weight" of average passenger as well as cd equivalence.Thank God that is calculated for us lol I would hate to do that for every car. The dyno is an eddy current design and will actually increase resistance as speed goes up just like the conditions on the street.

Hey KPG thanks for making my Monday worthwhile...and to all, I have not run my stage 4 on the dyno yet.. I guess I have been to swamped lately (and slightly lazy)and I guess now I will have to do it to provide the data we are all wondering about

ps a camera next time is a great idea had I thought about it a would have grabbed the company one ...Damn!!!
Thanks again... if all goes well we will be seeing each other soon....very soon. Kevin
Old 10-23-2006, 11:32 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by Dock
Here's a dyno of an EVO stage 4...from EVO:

Dock, I think that is a DynoJet.... do you have a Mustang graph so we can compare apples to apples? Kevin
Old 10-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks rico.. I sent KPG a email, he should have sent it to you.. Thanks again..
Old 10-23-2006, 11:40 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

Kevin,

The new program sounds interesting...What is the boost level of the new 1/4 mile program going to be? Any idea how much you & Kevin expect it to help in terms of 10th's and MPH in a typical run?
Old 10-23-2006, 11:51 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by John D II
Kevin,

The new program sounds interesting...What is the boost level of the new 1/4 mile program going to be? Any idea how much you & Kevin expect it to help in terms of 10th's and MPH in a typical run?
Heck, I am the last one to know about these things. Kevin likes to underpromise and overdeliver. I never even asked for this file , I guess this is what he does for fun, but given the reaction from him this morning when I called with the dyno numbers I think it will be worthwhile. He wasnt nearly as surprised as I was this morning.... clearly he knew what to expect. I do not think boost will be changed since I still have the TB shutdown in place so not much room to work there. Since all my files have been pump fuel, I think this will crank low to mid torque way up due to the 100 octane. I am going to try and dyno the file as well. Should make for some interesting conversation. Kevin
Old 10-24-2006, 12:06 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats and thanks for posting. Don't bend a rod Kevin. Looking at US131 dragway this weekend if the weather holds.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:11 AM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by Acropora
Congrats and thanks for posting. Don't bend a rod Kevin. Looking at US131 dragway this weekend if the weather holds.
I am in good hands. File is written with the rods being the top concern. MIlan on Wed...If it doesnt snow. Kevin

Quick Reply: Dyno Numbers Are In : A Lesson In Power Under The Curve