Sponsored by:

Popping out of second problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 03:17 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Popping out of second problem

I got the B&M installed after putting less than 100 miles on my TT and so I do not know if the problem is due to shifter cable adjustment or not. Whenever I am in second and off the gas slowing down or something, the gearshift just pops out of second!! I am not sure if this is a transmission problem or not. I did the B&M install myself but forgot to index the cables before removing the stock shifter (manual didnt say to do so although many friends here instructed me to do but I just forgot due to the excitement of what was my first DIY).
Any help on this would be apprecited. The problem only exists in second gear!
Old 04-29-2003, 10:38 AM
Dimitry
Track Day

I have had the same thing happen on my X-50 and I do not have a short shifter installed. I'm glad you posted this.

Doe anyone know the fix for this?
Old 04-29-2003, 01:11 PM
Pete.
Banned

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by msindi:
<strong> The problem only exists in second gear!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Known problem.

Got to your dealer, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

(the fix is a new tranny)
Old 04-29-2003, 01:41 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

My car is brand spankin new!! Could this be a factory defect??
Old 04-29-2003, 01:51 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
it is a factory defect, but just to be carefull i'd maybe remove the B&M. I can totally see a dealer just taking one look at it and trying to put the blame on the short shifter.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:55 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

There is one problem with that: Te B&M can not be removed since installing it means cutting the stock plastic shifter and breaking the bushings - I guess I am screwed!!
Old 04-29-2003, 01:58 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are there model years or VIN's that this problem pertains to? Is it simply a crap shoot, maybe it is a good one, maybe not?
Old 04-29-2003, 02:21 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by msindi:
<strong>There is one problem with that: Te B&M can not be removed since installing it means cutting the stock plastic shifter and breaking the bushings - I guess I am screwed!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">no you will still probally be fine. Just tell them that the problem was there before you installed the shifter.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Pete.
Banned

<strong>There is one problem with that: Te B&M can not be removed since installing it means cutting the stock plastic shifter and breaking the bushings - I guess I am screwed!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">The dealers have a step-by-step diagnosis checklist for the problem that enables them to identify exactly what is going on given when/how the car pops out of gear at varying RPMs.

There are supposedly parts available to address the issue but they were recently backordered so the exchange tranny was being done instead.

You should not have a problem with the B&M being installed since it does not relate to the problem nor does it interfere with the diagnosis.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:22 PM
Ibanez
Instructor

I had this same problem with my '02 TT. It had about 1,000 miles on it and kept popping out of second or getting stuck in reverse. I posted about it and then took it in to the dealer. Porsche had them run through a number of tests before they were willing to sport for a new gear box. After they opened it (the gear box, clutch, etc.) up and cleaned it out they had me drive the car for a few days. The problem went away. I now have about five thousand miles on the car and have not had this problem again.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:02 PM
sawmilldriver
Instructor

I too had the popping out of second gear problem. I went to the dealer armed with information about replaced trannies. They tested the car, acknowledged there was a problem, performed some adjustments and since then the problem has gone away, and the other shifts are also improved somewhat. I will call them and try to get a precise diagnosis.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:25 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Thanx a lot guys!!
I guess I will call my Tech first hting tomorrow and schedule an appointment (they are usually good - last time they replaced a defective horn under warranty in about 30 minutes without any prior appointment!!)
Old 05-02-2003, 10:10 PM
TurboRod
Intermediate

Hi!

I had this same problem with my 996TT '01. I gathered some other posts from here with the same problem, insisted with my dealer and got a new tranny. No problem since.

Search for posts by myself as well as "pop out of gear", "2nd gear", etc.

Nevertheless very disappointing issue (together with others) since I never expected this from a Porsche.

Best,
TurboRod
Old 05-02-2003, 10:11 PM
TurboRod
Intermediate

Forgot to mention...

If you check out <a href="http://www.alldata.com," target="_blank">www.alldata.com,</a> you'll find there is actually some kind of TSB or factory letter which mentions this problem already in 2000 if I am correct. Might want to print this out and take it to the dealer as well, so he has no excuse for his "ignorance"..

TurboRod
Old 05-03-2003, 08:47 PM
drjim
Advanced

My friends '01 has this problem and I've had it happen a few times with my '02. I guess they haven't figured it out in three years.

Quick Reply: Popping out of second problem