Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frwy Speed Cameras - Valentine are you there?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frwy Speed Cameras - Valentine are you there?

Mike are you guys working on this?

"Arizona Gives Final Approval to Freeway Photo Radar
Scottsdale, Arizona begins installation of its lucrative new freeway speed camera system

Arizona Department of Transportation officials yesterday gave final approval to Scottsdale's plan to install automated speeding ticket cameras on the Loop 101 freeway. The city will start installing the devices overnight today with cameras being ready to issue the first tickets by February 9. Early estimates suggested the city could issue between 1500 and 2500 tickets every day, generating $235,000 in daily revenue.

The program will first target individuals doing 11 MPH over the 65 MPH speed limit, collecting around $157 for each photo taken along the 7.8 mile stretch of highway. Australian camera vendor Redflex collects a $42.48 bounty for every citation it is able to generate.

In 2004, Scottsdale issued $9.3 million in photo tickets causing a near doubling in the city's fatality rate. The city is hoping the new system will add tens of millions of dollars to its budget."
Old 12-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

How lucky I am to be living in Scottsdale. We already have the cameras in various places and all they do is cause the traffic to jam on their brakes about a block before the camera, then everyone resumes their high speed. It will destroy rush hour traffic. Bad idea.

If you ever drive in an area with a lot of speed cameras, put down your sun visor... they have to be able to prove it was you driving your car and a photo of your face is how they do it.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:36 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 533 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Torags
In 2004, Scottsdale issued $9.3 million in photo tickets causing a near doubling in the city's fatality rate. ... ."

I would guess that a doubling in the fatality rate would have personal injury lawyers flocking to AZ with high saturation TV commercials offering you a shot at the lawsuit lottery.

In the UK, there are maps available which detail the location of each speed camera.

Some cameras have had to be removed because of an increase in wrecks related to the hard braking and then acceleration around the cameras.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:32 PM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they radar?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Torags,
I could always revert to my military electronic countermeasures work if you like.
Would you like the photo radar jammed or fried?
Old 12-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
Torags,
I could always revert to my military electronic countermeasures work if you like.
Would you like the photo radar jammed or fried?
Ha... you devil...

I think the frying would be a public service to the auto enthusist community. Would you have to aim at the camera to fry it?

With the jamming: Do you think the current jamming technology might work? Do you think its laser triggering the camera?
Old 12-31-2005, 04:05 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Mike are you guys working on this?
If it has to be jammed Mike will not work on it... He has expressed his view on Laser jammers on these boards and that is why he does not have one.

He stated on another board that he is on frequently that he would not produce something that interferes (jams).
Old 12-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Well then... We'll have to use our secret weapon....... His name is Lewis. The founder of the Cayenne fan club.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:07 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, since you guys mentioned "Jamming" (I personally have no problem with it!), I have the dealer installed famous K-40 "laser, radar 'jammer'".
Then how come when I drive by those "this is your speed, radar set ups" My speed on the digital readout is exactly what my car is doing.......so.......if this thing "jams" radar like it says the numbers shouldnt match, right? (Lewis, what say you?)

tom
Old 12-31-2005, 07:41 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Ok, since you guys mentioned "Jamming" (I personally have no problem with it!), I have the dealer installed famous K-40 "laser, radar 'jammer'".
Then how come when I drive by those "this is your speed, radar set ups" My speed on the digital readout is exactly what my car is doing.......so.......if this thing "jams" radar like it says the numbers shouldnt match, right? (Lewis, what say you?)

tom

I personally have no problem with jamming either...

Those items you speak about all run on K or KA band radar... They would not be jammed by a "laser jammer" which is what K40 jammer is I believe (like the lidatek, etc). But your K40 detector should be going crazy.... My V1 does....

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2005, 09:18 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they both do Gary, (have both, never could decide what was better!) For some reason I thought I read that the K-40 was a "radar/laser" jammer, guess I'll have to go back and refresh my memory!

Happy New Year!!

tom
Old 01-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I don't think you can jam radar. Perhaps if you can hit the source - I believe it throws a radius, opposed to laser beam.

The military has a heat seeking device (for missiles), but a radar seeking device in such a small package? Hmmm....
Old 01-01-2006, 03:53 PM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

New 996TT owner here, new to the RENNLIST as well. Generally I lurk until I am familiar with what the subject is, lucky me, I know a bit about this.

Radio (Radar) frequencies are "governed" by the FCC, it is a federal offense to "jam" any radio frequency by unlicensed civilians (do this repeatedly around an Airport and you will get SS/FBI attention). Lasers aren't moderated by the FCC but by the ... get this, the FDA. There are no limitations to laser usage outside of shining (Painting in Government-ese) at Govt officials and/or Commercial Transportation. Absolutely DO NOT do this! (Think Homeland Defense).

In all actuality, you cannot JAM a laser, however you can "paint the painter" with your own laser with like frequency, which will confuse the device. I have experience with Blinder M06's on an NSX, the Laser carrying police was shaking his laser gun as I passed above the speed limit on multiple occasions. I have the K40 radar (detector) and laser jammer on the 996TT, I dont have any success (or failure) stories ...yet.

Cool trick I learned, if in doubt of your laser jammer's operation, take a handy cam, turn it on looking at the jammer, you should see some illumination, if not, its not working.

HTH
Old 01-01-2006, 08:17 PM
mikerosi
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Tom, where is your jamber located? I know K40 makes a license plate bracket that houses this.
Mike
Old 01-01-2006, 09:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't think you can jam radar. Perhaps if you can hit the source - I believe it throws a radius, opposed to laser beam.....
Trust me, you CAN jam radar.....it's the basis of standard ECM design since the 50's.
I could tell you how....but then I'd have to kill you......
No, wait, you're a Cayenne owner.....you've already suffered enough.

The military has a heat seeking device (for missiles), but a radar seeking device in such a small package? Hmmm....
Think HARM missile.....it's been around for a LONG time.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/agm-88.htm

God, how I miss Reagan and the 80's. Haven't had any real fun since then.

Last edited by ltc; 01-01-2006 at 09:53 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Frwy Speed Cameras - Valentine are you there?