Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frwy Speed Cameras - Valentine are you there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Trust me, you CAN jam radar.....it's the basis of standard ECM design since the 50's.
I could tell you how....but then I'd have to kill you......
No, wait, you're a Cayenne owner.....you've already suffered enough.

Think HARM missile.....it's been around for a LONG time.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/agm-88.htm

God, how I miss Reagan and the 80's. Haven't had any real fun since then.
You're right... GW isn't fun...
Old 01-02-2006, 09:18 AM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

Oh, I dont know about that, I am having plenty of fun out here in South West Asia
Old 01-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Trust me, you CAN jam radar.....
Yes.

All we need is a small version of this for our cars...

AN/ALQ-131 pod.

Last edited by Dock; 01-02-2006 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dock
Yes.

All we need is a small version of this for our cars...

AN/ALQ-131 pod.

Stop it, I'm starting to get teary eyed.......
Old 01-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Stop it, I'm starting to get teary eyed.......
I'm with you on that, but here are the "trons" that really get me teary eyed...

AN/APG-63...
Old 01-03-2006, 09:25 AM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

I agree, ANY radar signal can be jammed, my argument was that Lasers cannot, maybe redirected, abosrbed or like the current laser jammers send a confusing signal back to the transmitter. However to my knowledge not jammed.

I am partial to the AWG-9/APG-71 system personally (F-14), then again, I am sure if we all pitched in, we can rent ourselves an EA-6B / EF-111 to fly cover :-)

And now that we have installed the AN/ALQ, its time to upgrade the alternator, any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2006, 09:24 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,

rront grille, and rear license plate, dealer installed

tom
Old 01-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Jonathan A
Advanced

Originally Posted by Torags
I don't think you can jam radar. Perhaps if you can hit the source - I believe it throws a radius, opposed to laser beam.

The military has a heat seeking device (for missiles), but a radar seeking device in such a small package? Hmmm....
Correct. Radar sends out a band of lasers to see an entire set of cars speeds, which are usually the ones mounted over the drivers side rear door.

And the ones that the cops hold usually shot single laser beams, at a very fast rate.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:47 AM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

Not to be a pain, but this is not correct, Radar has nothing to do with lasers and vice versa. Radar is a radio frequency (or frequencies) and for the most part covers an area (bad anaology, but like a shot gun), the longer the distance, thre wider the coverage area. Yes, there is Synthetic Aperature etc, but for the scope of this conversation, police employ basic radar (sometimes supplied by insurance companies). Lasers are like a pencil beam and are generally aimed at the front license plate, this is why many states have made it a law to have a front plate now. I have also head that police will aim at the top of the window/roof line, but thats just hearsay. Police training says license plate.

You can technically jam radar, but it is a federal offense. It is not illegal to "jam" lasers, this is a tougher ticket to beat so use your best judgement.

<Quote>
Correct. Radar sends out a band of lasers to see an entire set of cars speeds, which are usually the ones mounted over the drivers side rear door.

And the ones that the cops hold usually shot single laser beams, at a very fast rate.
</Quote>
Old 01-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deepblue
Radar has nothing to do with lasers and vice versa. Radar is a radio frequency (or frequencies) and for the most part covers an area (bad anaology, but like a shot gun), the longer the distance, thre wider the coverage area... Lasers are like a pencil beam and are generally aimed at the front license plate, this is why many states have made it a law to have a front plate now. I have also head that police will aim at the top of the window/roof line, but thats just hearsay. Police training says license plate.
Correct.

One addition...police are trained to shoot at either the front plate or one of the headlights. Mounting your detector as low as possible on the windshield maximizes your chances of receiving a laser alert.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dock
Correct.

One addition...police are trained to shoot at either the front plate or one of the headlights. Mounting your detector as low as possible on the windshield maximizes your chances of receiving a laser alert.
windshield rather than grille?
Old 01-09-2006, 11:08 AM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

I would agree with putting the laser detector as low as possible, mine is mounted right below the license plate holder inside the grill. However, to maximize your radar detecion time, the detector needs to be as high as possible.

In my other cars, I have athe Valentine 1 as high as I can put it to the left of the mirror. It has been my experience that the police will issue a speeding ticket because you have a detector, when otherwise you would have received a warning or just told to slowdown and be careful There are lots of ducmented tricks to hide the detector etc...I know V2 makes remote volume and displays. K40's are probably the most hidden units.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:29 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Doesn't the camera need a photo of your plate? Do the darkened plastic covers work, or the spray I recently saw advertised in the auto mags? That, in theory, creates light refraction from the automated flash (which they assert is there) to create an unreadable plate...at least that's the claim. Any ideas or info? AS
Old 01-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Darkworx
Instructor

That's it! I'm switching to an F15
Old 01-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Torags
windshield rather than grille?
For a permanent mount, the grill is better than the windshield. I only have one V1, and I move it to the car I'm driving that day.

Here in Georgia we don't require a front plate, so the best possible mounting would be a dual antena arrangement with one in each headlight unit.

Quick Reply: Frwy Speed Cameras - Valentine are you there?