THOUGHT MPS TIRES WERE THE BEST!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 12:18 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary (Fl)
The dealers READ all the different message boards...
So does PCNA.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:31 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
If you can turn off the PSM and drift your tt on the street, it says two things about you. You are supernatural and you are nuts.
What kind of drift are you talking about? A four wheel drift? Do you consider a four wheel drift "max performing" the car? Is a four wheel drift the quickest way around a corner?
Old 12-24-2005, 01:09 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I've experienced the full range of my Porsche's performance envelope and have never had it on the track.
Dock, I know you and most people on this forum know more about cars and driving and for that matter life than I do and I certainly respect your opinions but I'm pretty sure your above statement (at least I hope) cant be right?!

Is it really true that you own such a wonderful performance car and have never explored its potential on a race track, at a DE, or at least an autocross?!! Say its not so!

If that is really true I think you might find more in your envelope at the track!!!! Try it you'll like.....not love it!!!

Happy Holidays to you, your family, and the forum, I really enjoy the posts!

tom
Old 12-24-2005, 01:19 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Tom...I've never tracked my Turbo.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2005, 01:29 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Dock, Road Atlanta is calling you!!! Some of my friends are going in a few months, maybe we can get together up there!!!

tom
Old 12-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Some of my friends are going in a few months, maybe we can get together up there!!!

tom
That would be great. We can get the Atlanta guys together for dinner and socializing...and maybe put together a group drive on our North Georgia mountain roads - or maybe even a run up to the Tail of the Dragon.

Here's a picture from the last Turbo group drive on the TOD...to the right of the yellow Turbo you can see part of the hard left hand turn he has just come off of.

Let me know the dates as early as possible so folks can deconflict their schedules.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:59 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Dock,
First, let me wish you a merry Christmahunnakahyear (I think that gets them all).
Re drifting, for most cars being right at the edge of drifting or carrying a very light drift is very near the limit, but so hard to do that "grip" techniques are more consistnetly fast than 'Non-grip". Did you see Juan Pablo qualify for the pole at Indianapolis?- that was right on the edge. But he carried a drift angle on more than one corner.
The point is when you get right to the limit of the car, it starts to slide and you need to anticipate it and react by releasing the line (what you might view as countersteering or corrective steering is basically just widening the line by releasing the steering angle).
With a big, fast car with high grip levels, I don't see how you can get close to that on the street. Can you really find a corner where you can maximally brake, downshift, get maximal side-loading, and exit under full throtle? At the same time recognizing that if you didn't need to use up all the road, you braked too early and need to try it again 90 seconds later? At maximal speeds there are lots of essential corrections you don't need at 8/10ths. Just because you steered to the edge of the road doesn't mean the car needed to- at max speeds it absolutely does.
I'm not looking to disagree with you, because tracking isn't for everybody, and the desire to do it is not explainable. But, if a top notch driver took you for a ride in your car on the track, I don't think you would contend that you could use the car the same way on the street. Nor, should you try.
For fun, have you ever considered renting a Rotax cart and driving that for a morning on a cart track?
I did that last summer (3 levels of carts, all the way up to shifters) with an instructor. The reason I mention it is that many of the top open wheel drivers came up thru carts, and some continue to practice in them- because a cart is over the tractive limit at all times. A fast lap in a kart is a full drift in each and every corner. ( I am not saying a tt is a kart- but you still need to feel the tractive limits)
Purely for fun, I expect to try the Bondurant drift course this spring. I don't expect to use those techniques in the tt. AS
Old 12-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Can you really find a corner where you can maximally brake, downshift, get maximal side-loading, and exit under full throtle?
Yes.

And concerning the four wheel drift, I understand where it sits in the cornering continuum. I wanted to clarify your definition of "max performing" because of the topic here pertaining to one not being able to appreciate the performance abilities of a Turbo without taking it to the track.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:52 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Is that "the" road? I think there is a center-dividing line suggesting cars could be coming the other way. Nice place for a 6/10ths drive. I'm sure there is a better one than that.
Maybe this discussion would end if you confirmed that you really have experienced the limits of the car and how you ascertained that? We may be talking about two different things.
Dock, I guess I mean that when you go all out, you will eventually exit the black paved parts. Then you may need a tow vehicle, or crew, etc. You can't do it if you are worried about traffic coming the other way, trees at the edge, gravel that washed down, or even surface irregularities, or police. To work up to that point you need warm-up laps, and progressive hot laps.
I don't dispute that you may be a great driver, I'm just puzzled about the difference in our certainties. A really hair-raisng ride on the street doesn't exceed 8/10ths of the cars capabilities, even if in one corner the car slides a little. You really can't enter from max speeds, and you can't late brake because you don't know what the pavement is like. Have you had much competition or track experience? AS
Old 12-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Is that "the" road? I think there is a center-dividing line suggesting cars could be coming the other way. Nice place for a 6/10ths drive. I'm sure there is a better one than that.
There are lots of roads in GA/NC/TN where someone could experience the maximum performance of their Porsche. Is every turn taken at 10/10th? No, but even one of them taken at the edge of the performance envelope shows what the car can do. One mountain road here in Georgia has two *wide* lanes plus a wide shoulder going up the mountain, with one wide lane coming down the mountain. In many sections you can visually clear two to three turns (or more) ahead. It's lightly traveled during the week. Someone who wanted to explore the performance envelope outside that needed for the fastest time around the corners would have huge "get well" areas outside the line. Have I seen Porsches use this to four wheel drift? Yes. Can drivers hang the tail out under power as far as they want? Yes. Can drivers go WOT post apex and max perform the car through the next corner or two? Yes. Are these curves just as fun at 8/10s? Yes. Can drivers enter corners from max speed? Yes...and on many of the corners that max speed is not very high...max performance can be achieved on a 30 mph corner as easily as it can be on a 80 mph corner.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

concerned about only 6/10ths and cars coming the other way? you need to drive with some of the guys from my area!
Old 12-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's a road in North Carolina where it's rumored that Porsches have exceeded 6/10s of their performance abilities...

Last edited by Dock; 12-24-2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:28 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at the last N.GA mountain run! I had to bail out early during the run because of a certain 944T and a Single Turbo (700HP) Supra that thought they were on a race track. These were some 20something y-o. The Supra had a couple of cans of race gas in the back next to a bottle of NOS (can you say Pinto?). They made things very uncomfortable. Come on! If you are experiencing the full capabilities of your chipped and modded TT on a two lane public road with all the Sunday morning church crowd and tourists in their minivans, you are delusional. Or suicidal!
Old 12-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RXDOC
If you are experiencing the full capabilities of your chipped and modded TT on a two lane public road with all the Sunday morning church crowd and tourists in their minivans, you are delusional. Or suicidal!
The roads are opened on days other than Sunday, and there's not always traffic up there either.

For those owners who use discretion and who pick their spots, there are places where the full performance of their cars can be used.

The bottom line here is the question about having seen the performance potential of ones Turbo without going to the track. There isn't a minimum number of exposures above "1" that is required before knowing what the car is capable of.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

dock, I have been on those roads, you most definately can "push it". beautiful area/roads. from driving the popular desolate canyon roads in my area which are known to be great "test" roads, the roads in your area are just as challenging at 6/10ths.

I agree, canyon drives and track runs are not the same, but you can experience the essence of performance. even at 6/10ths.

just because you don't track doesn't mean you can't get the "feel"

Quick Reply: THOUGHT MPS TIRES WERE THE BEST!?