Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PocketPower: Plug and Play for the 996TT ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Brokenleg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. My old 964 was so easy, the chip just plugged in and could be replaced in minutes. Cargarfic USA is on vacation this week, I will try to get some answers next week. I was too quick to mod this car and did not do the research (not happy with the modified stock exhaust either-lots of resonance). Thank you for the information.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:06 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, hardest part of the 964 was getting the board out of the plug!
Old 12-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Brokenleg
Intermediate

yup, I thought I had broken it the first time as it was so hard to see how that thing hooked on one side while standing on my head to see under the seat.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Divi996TT
Track Day

Stephen:

That was an excellent post. The pictures and the info are priceless. Guys with so much knowledge about our cars makes me feel safe to modify my car.
Thanks

Divi.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:32 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Thank you. It is my pleasure to be able to share these things with you guys.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:05 PM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
There are no advantages to chipping an ECU.
There are potential advantages as I described above in my post. Again, this may not apply to the particular applications we are talking about. But the potential is there wheter nor not any given company has the inclination or resources to take advantage of them. But obviously I agree that flashing is the way to go given the whole list of advantages they offer. Anyone who as ever seen a damaged board due to improper soldering can attest to this.

I was just trying to give the chipping option a fair shake. There are a lot of good and innovative chip tuners out there that deserve some credit.

shiv
Old 12-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Thank you. It is my pleasure to be able to share these things with you guys.

How "Big" is your "Head" now....

You are one of the few in the business that will shoot the sh_t with someone for hours about your passion even when it is not related to a sale. Over the years you have always demostrated a willingness to help and share info freely. I never heard you say

Hope you and the family had a great Holiday..

How's the TREG?

PS: No I'm not his brother or an employee...
Old 12-28-2005, 04:21 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Anyone who as ever seen a damaged board due to improper soldering can attest to this.
As yes, notice the removed pads on the board above. BTW I did have this up and running with 22, yes 22 traces repaired it to use as a test bed. The customer said I could keep it so I gave it a shot. LOL, it wouldn't go in a car however

I was just trying to give the chipping option a fair shake. There are a lot of good and innovative chip tuners out there that deserve some credit.
Oh I give credit. We all started here. The difference is who has moved on and who hasn't in this industry. Things like this and various levels of tuning show a mature learning curve and access to proprietary data We all started here.

How "Big" is your "Head" now....

LOL, One of my Tech's say that about my car. He says he can't tell me it is fast because I might get a big head. I say no way. If my head was bigger my hair line would look worse than it is

You are one of the few in the business that will shoot the sh_t with someone for hours about your passion even when it is not related to a sale. Over the years you have always demostrated a willingness to help and share info freely.
I am still an owner and feel like it is a waste of time if I don't. Who else really will share these things. Hell, I was the first to document a true TT motor build. I had competitors calling and yelling at me for doing that. I still don't get it. Info is available somewhere, if I have it I should share it.

How's the TREG
We bought our 2nd one back in Nov. I tried to get a TDI. No go. So we got some options that we didn't have before. That and a different color interior. Camel did not work with our boys. Talk about a mistake. The new interior is gray!
Old 12-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Just a note, these types of flashing operations are quite common in the instrumentation world and we generally refer to the programming as the "firmware" as opposed to the name "software" as the flashed ecu will not change unless it is physically over written.

PHD; I see you say the Egas is changed in the GIAC flash? I take it this is not commonly done in the other commercially available programs?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:03 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

As far as I know no one actually knows how to control those maps so I suspect if they did they would advertise that since we do. We spend as much time making them “feel” better as we do making HP.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:16 PM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

As far as I know no one actually knows how to control those maps so I suspect if they did they would advertise that since we do.
Why would others not know how to control the throttle map? Do they not know where the starting address is? Or the dimensions? Just curious since it's really not a tricky map to deal with.

In fact, here's a screen shot of it:

It does help that we have access to Porsche Damos files as I don't think they are very easy to come by. They are files that describe the function of every single bit in the ROM file.

-shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; 12-29-2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Divi996TT
Track Day

Stephen; Shiv :

Who design this maps(the originals:stock)? What type of engineering deals with the intrinsic details of the ECU mapping? Do you guys use reverse technology to crack the codes?
Thanks
Divi

Last edited by Divi996TT; 12-29-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:17 PM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

Originally Posted by Divi996TT
Stephen; Shiv :

Who design this maps(the originals:stock)? What type of engineering deals with the intrinsic details of the ECU mapping? Do you guys use reverse technology to crack the codes?
Typically, the auto manufacturer's powertrain engineering team maps the ECU themselves using a calibration system provided to them by the ECU manufacturer. This calibration system is proprietary and details regarding the programming code and mapping info rarely leaves the factory. Usually, it is up to aftermarket tuners to reverse engineer the system. At the mapping level, this often involves a lot of trial and error in order to isolate the effects of each and every table. But, in cases where there are hundreds and hundreds of tables, such complete knowledge may never be achieved. In these cases, It's not unusual for the aftermarket ECU tuner to have knowledge of only some of the tables-- mainly those that are critical to engine performance (boost limits, rev limits, speed limits, ignition maps, fuel maps, throttle maps, closed/open loop switchover thresholds, lamba targets, knock sensor parameters, etc,.) As one would expect, there is often a bit of error made along the way (ie. not knowing that/how the output of one table influencing another unknown table and so forth). This is why one will hear about teething problems at the early stages of aftermarket ECU development (Check engine lights, traction control malfunctions, etc,.) It's all solvable in the long run but that's where the countless hours of testing, R&D and interpersonal schmoozing with those "in the know" come into play. The Brits on our team seem to be excel in those areas They even managed to get a hold of the elusive damos files which disclose the function of each and every bit of info on the factory ROM file. Once you have this, trial and error is a thing of the past. Instead, it just boils down to tuning.

Regards,
shiv
Old 12-29-2005, 09:28 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Is that an actual picture of your map and your software?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:53 PM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

Is that an actual picture of your map and your software?
Yes. It is from one of our maps.

Shiv

Quick Reply: PocketPower: Plug and Play for the 996TT ??