Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PocketPower: Plug and Play for the 996TT ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 04:45 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just out of curiosity, is that how you were doing the car?
Old 12-24-2005, 03:10 AM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the feedback.
As you head down the tuning road with these cars you will. I also do standalone on older Porsches. Tuning one program and tuning one EFI conversion is not the same. The TT has over 2700 maps in it! Not the 2 major ones that you are use to seeing in the AEM conversions etc.
Funny you mention that. Nearly 10 years ago, my company began with supplying, installing and tuning stand-alone engine management system in street and race cars. But somewhere around '01 we began shifting our focus to OBD-II reflashing. And for the last 5 years, we've spent more time flash tuning customer cars than I want to admit to . As I'm sure you know, once you gain control of the factory ECU, just about any aftermarket stand-alone system looks awfully crude.

Regarding your comments regarding the Pocketpower system, I have to point out that this product isn't new. It's been used in hundreds of Porsche/VW/Audi cars in Europe. It's also supported and developed by some of the most experienced ME7 tuners in the industry. To imply that in-depth Motronic knowledge is specific to American tuners would be unfair. As for map availability, there is no issue whatsoever. In fact, I already have GT2 and k24 performance ROM files available to me. There are few, if any, bases that have gone untouched.

As for concerns about inevitable code assembly issues (and the required support network), they are valid in light of how most current US flash tuners go about the process (ie. adding multiple map switching capabilities on a single ROM file by using non-defined memory locations.) But remember, we avoid this issue altogether by always starting with the standard ROM read from the customers actual car. As for map switching, we are doing it in the truest, most riskless, way: By reflashing new map data into the ECU through the user programming device. Just as long as the user is capable of pressing a button and waiting for 30 seconds, there is virtually no chance of something going awry. Furthermore, the issue of defeating the factory flash counter has also been addressed. When a customer flashes his ECU back to stock, there is absolutely no way to detect that they car was every running a modified ROM file at any point of its life. Feel free to inform me if you still see any inherent flaws to this approach as we are always looking for ways to improve our product

Just out of curiosity, is that how you were doing the car?
For the most part, yes. Although I also add 2 ducted high-velocity fans that blow directly into the intercooler air ducts. Took a bit of fabrication to seal the airflow but it saves a lot of cooldown time when dyno testing. The dyno set-up has finally gotten to the point where manifold air temps similar to what is logged on the road.

Best Regards,
shiv
Old 12-24-2005, 03:23 AM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

For those who are interested, we finished mapping a 996tt for 97oct fuel.

Stock vs. Custom tuned 91oct vs. Cutom tuned 97oct

AWHP and Torque:

As always, each set-up was tested with back-to-back runs to ensure consistency.

Boost and AFR:

As illustrated, the 97oct tune is still conservative

cheers,
shiv
Old 12-24-2005, 11:28 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Just as long as the user is capable of pressing a button and waiting for 30 seconds, there is virtually no chance of something going awry
And what should occur if the unit is unplugged during this process? Simply plug it back in and redo it? There is only one other company using flash in the US and I know for a fact that unless you have the protocol of the factory 7.8 you will crash the ECU. I doubt you have tried this since you have only done limited tuning. This will become a concern and a reliability. I did some checking yesterday and it was told that this issue has not been addressed. Have you considered the liabilities of this should a customer lock up the ECU and you have to physically deslolder the ECU to flash it on something like an MP21. Correcting this issue is still something few have done.

The other issue is unless you are using something ridiculously fast the flashing takes longer than 30 seconds on ME7.8. Loading the PST2/3 takes longer to check the modules. To write takes much longer unless you are talking about 5.2 which is a very small file. The process should include several check sum checks and compare map to map in order to ensure that the file was copied correctly. All bases have to read in because of the emboilzer codes. So while you imply that the we might be using a generic base we are in fact not. Each file is loaded from an original file gained through channels. Porsche produces CDs with every program for every ECU on them. We have all of these that allow us to compare and write the files. If your software looks for specific areas in the program you will find that this will have undesirable results. Those locations will shift depending on the software entered.

You might want to consider different cooling methods. Your charts suggest that it is needed. Just some friendly help. You also will want to test your K24 files closely. Several tuners who are very good at VW/Audi also made the error in assuming that the ME7.* would be similar. They are not and will still cause issues in some arrears with concern to ABS/PSM failure.

Good luck you product. Best piece of advise I can give you. Test, test, test, test and do not even consider the market for sales until you have a half of dozen test cars running around for 4 months+. I have flown all over the US to correct early issues many years ago.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:03 PM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

And what should occur if the unit is unplugged during this process? Simply plug it back in and redo it?
Yes indeed. We obviously don't encourage such sloppy technique. But the necessary precautions are in place in case in cause such a thing should happen.

There is only one other company using flash in the US and I know for a fact that unless you have the protocol of the factory 7.8 you will crash the ECU. I doubt you have tried this since you have only done limited tuning. This will become a concern and a reliability. I did some checking yesterday and it was told that this issue has not been addressed.
Who told you this?

Have you considered the liabilities of this should a customer lock up the ECU and you have to physically deslolder the ECU to flash it on something like an MP21. Correcting this issue is still something few have done.
Well I guess we are one of the few that did our homework

The other issue is unless you are using something ridiculously fast the flashing takes longer than 30 seconds on ME7.8. Loading the PST2/3 takes longer to check the modules. To write takes much longer unless you are talking about 5.2 which is a very small file. The process should include several check sum checks and compare map to map in order to ensure that the file was copied correctly. All bases have to read in because of the emboilzer codes. So while you imply that the we might be using a generic base we are in fact not. Each file is loaded from an original file gained through channels. Porsche produces CDs with every program for every ECU on them. We have all of these that allow us to compare and write the files. If your software looks for specific areas in the program you will find that this will have undesirable results. Those locations will shift depending on the software entered.
On again, we also have factory information but still hand craft the modified file directly from the original standard ROM file. This allows us to generate the re-flash code with all immobiliser and checksums details as per factory standards. There is no guesswork involved.

You might want to consider different cooling methods. Your charts suggest that it is needed. Just some friendly help. You also will want to test your K24 files closely. Several tuners who are very good at VW/Audi also made the error in assuming that the ME7.* would be similar. They are not and will still cause issues in some arrears with concern to ABS/PSM failure
I appreciate the friendly bit of advice. But as you can probably tell, we have on our side a group of very experienced European Audi/VW tuners who have done this before. As for dyno set-up, the temps registered during the testing were analogous to temps seen on the road. So I'm not sure about we are doing wrong in that respect. We did try using the AWD Mustang Dyno facility in our Union City location for tuning but, as usual, that dyno doesn't offer the necessary resolution (all the results look like a best-fit plot using a few data points, drawn by a crayon) to properly tune a car like this.

Good luck you product. Best piece of advise I can give you. Test, test, test, test and do not even consider the market for sales until you have a half of dozen test cars running around for 4 months+. I have flown all over the US to correct early issues many years ago.
Once again, I appreciate the advice. But to to say that this unit isn't tested just because you haven't seen it before does it some serious injustice. We'll be doing a demonstration for a auto magazine within the next few weeks and will disclose some more info that may be of interest

Cheers and Happy Holidays to all
shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; 12-24-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:14 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
I appreciate the friendly bit of advice. But as you can probably tell, we have on our side a group of very experienced European Audi/VW tuners who have done this before. As for dyno set-up, the temps registered during the testing were analogous to temps seen on the road. So I'm not sure about we are doing wrong in that respect. We did try using the AWD Mustang Dyno facility in our Union City location for tuning but, as usual, that dyno doesn't offer the necessary resolution (all the results look like a best-fit plot using a few data points, drawn by a crayon) to properly tune a car like this.

If you want to know what the issues were with the Mustang drop me a call. There are several issues that unless you have worked closely with Mustang and the network of Mustang owners steady state tuning on them is a bear. You really need to own one in order to accurately hold and load and tune with it. This is how I tune everything so I could offer some friendly advice. Also if you want to know what the cooling issues are I will explain at that time. Do not rely on the inlet temps and assume that they are the same as the road. There are other issues.

Don't misread my position. I wish you the best of luck. However there are a lot of "well known" in this industry that know ME for the VW and Audi and the reality is the TT is no where near the same. In this industry a know it all attitude will allow for mistakes. This is why I own a TT because there is never to much testing. The dyno is only one of three phases of tuning the cars we do go through. You seem to be on top of your game, please trust me though...These cars are not like ANY ME in a VW or Audi. If you can crack the 1.3 shutdown and know the difference between the GT2 files and the TT other than PSM then you will be golden.

Good luck.

One other thing. This is not meant to be a dig. If you are going to promote a product you sell then please do what the rest of us have done. Become a sponsor and support the board. Also support the board with not just product claims of HP but with answers to peoples questions. This board is not like all the others. This group is here to help and offer advice to one another.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Now I have to go play Santa since my boys are a sleep.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:27 AM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
One other thing. This is not meant to be a dig. If you are going to promote a product you sell then please do what the rest of us have done. Become a sponsor and support the board. Also support the board with not just product claims of HP but with answers to peoples questions. This board is not like all the others. This group is here to help and offer advice to one another.
No problem. I have already gotten the ball rolling in terms of forum sponsorship. I'm guessing that holidays are just slowing down the process. That's probably why they are tolerating my posts to begin with.

Have a Merry Christmas. Gotta finish watching Anchorman

-shiv
Old 12-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Divi996TT
Track Day

Good to hear that the new ECU upgrades are been tested for efficiency. I mean, new ECU upgrades have to measure up to others that are functional and safe.
Can someone explain, how the ECU keeps the stock or upgraded maps when the car battery goes bad? Lets say, that it takes about a week to get a new battery.When you first start the car , does it run stock, or it will run with whatever program was running at the time the battery went off?

Thanks

Divi
Old 12-27-2005, 10:31 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

All programs are burned into the chip. Flashed, burned either way hard copied to the system or chip. In the older days we had to delsolder, then flash the chip with a MP21 or like writer. Now we simply hook into the OBD2 port and upload (flash) the ecu. This means that the information stays in place. It can not be removed without flashing it back out or deleting. much like a flash card in your computer. You have to tell it to remove the info. Loosing battery voltage will not cause this.

Once our system sees the battery is gone on power up it goes back to the stock map. This is in case the car has to go to the dealer and you don't have a chance to visit the car before hand or the battery doesn't have enough umph to switch back to stock. It is a fail safe.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:32 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Once our system sees the battery is gone on power up it goes back to the stock map. This is in case the car has to go to the dealer and you don't have a chance to visit the car before hand or the battery doesn't have enough umph to switch back to stock. It is a fail safe.
Does this mean if you don't buy the flashloader you have to return the ECU for re-flash every time the battery goes out? I lose my battery for one reason or another every two years......48 month battery my a$$
Old 12-27-2005, 12:44 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

No, you can not loose the program. Only if you have the optional flashswitcher with stock AND perfromace would it go into stock mode. It then can be switched with your switcher back to perfromance. The software can not over write the chip.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I keep my car hooked up to the porsche battery maintainer
whenever I'm not driving it. I have the original battery still
working fine since August 2000.
Joe
Old 12-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Divi996TT
Track Day

Stephen:
Thanks for the info. I dont want to put you on the hot spot but, do you have any comments on those Dyno graphs for the TT??
I was looking at Mr. Vishnu Performance website and He is a very good tuner for the Evos, and Sti's. I know that tuning the 996TT is another story, but is the graph acceptable in terms of proper upgrade tuning for the TT?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Ditto, on the Porsche battery maintainer!
MK
Old 12-27-2005, 01:26 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Divi996TT
Stephen:
Thanks for the info. I dont want to put you on the hot spot but, do you have any comments on those Dyno graphs for the TT??

Thanks
I think I will respectfully stay out of this one...

Quick Reply: PocketPower: Plug and Play for the 996TT ??