PSI 996TT dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 04:51 PM
RobCS
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
RobCS, welcome to Rennlist.

Can validate what you have posted? Did they go bankrupt??
Hello Kevin , thank you for your welcome.

There were several news reports on this company over here. Here is a link:
http://www.racingworld.be/nieuws/2764
I am assume that your Dutch is a little rusty so here is a brief translation :

Christian Schumacher closed the books of PSI Motorsport early August this year. They now found someone else who bought the remains of the company. It is Frenchman Philippe Thillie who used to drive one of the PSI racecars last year.
There have been a lot of rumors and signs that the company was in ( financial) trouble. A couple of months ago the company closed their "motortuning" devision. The"ïncentives"devision could not meet the required results either. The moment that they fired some employees of their "racing" devision it became clear that the company was in serious trouble.
The race-service for the PSI race cars for the last races was outplaced to another race-team. Some ex-employees of the Thimister based company have already found a new job at other race-teams.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Woodster
Drifting

could this info be not completely correct?
why is Christian Schumacher still listed as main contact
on their website? Will they do more or less racing next year?
We shall see, buy many may be surprised? Remember you
cannot believe everything you read in a "paper"...Maybe they
reorganized for a very good reason??
Old 12-11-2005, 09:05 PM
mikerosi
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks Stephen for the response. Your explanation was very clear and totally understood. Mike
Old 12-11-2005, 09:14 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
You have to know what you are looking at in order to interpret what it means. This is the problem with this industry. People bolt things on with no understanding what they are looking at. This is an example of just that. There was more emphasis to get the number out. That is what they saw, nothing else. The chart spoke of another issue. It is not meant to be a dig at them in any capacity, but the bottom line is the term "tuner" is rather loose. In this case the "tuner" from Belgium should probably be on the next flight to the US to support their new market. We spent the first several years flying all over the US to reprogram peoples ECU after the fact. That learning curve is huge. And just when you think that is might be ok something will change in the setup. You are at it all over again. In one year I was in 4 different states on some strange dyno interpenetrating and correcting issues. If you don't know what an issue looks like then how can one identify it? You don't.
You are the kind of man I would want to do business with.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:59 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you. I can't say that anything is easy in this industry, but you have to have the desire to do it 110% or just not at all. It isn't easy. Ask my wife and my employees Again, thank you for the kind words
Old 12-12-2005, 03:48 AM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

I too have the PSI 480 with Fabspeed system, I find this a bit worrying regarding the PSI (company in trouble) issue. I know that PSI are a very well respected company over here in the UK, and this is what tipped it for me over the GIAC programme. The UK distributor for PSI is Robert Lewin http://www.rupertlewinracing.com/PSIhome.htm this guy is very well respected in the Porsche Racing circle here in the UK so I might give him a call to get the lowdown.

I personally think that the PSI programmes are superb and works well especially with our octane in Europe and if anything is likely to hurt PSI it would be further/future development in the performance tuning sector.

Would love to see someone respond from PSI headquarters!!!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Default Some PSI info that has not been discussed...

From the above website:
"PSI has an established history in developing and producing reliable Porsche products since 1994,
and has distributors in France, Germany, Spain, Italy" (and the USA).
All power upgrades are researched and tested.
They (PSI), have recieved considerable recognition from the European Motoring Press for the
DEVELOPMENT of their OWN RACING CARS!!! For the past (2) years PSI Motorsport is the ONLY
team to have a full FIA homologated 996 GTR-2 !!!!
What I have learned:
PSI has its own MAHA DYNO, which it uses to help develop and test its software. (it does not
have to rely on the MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE, and less sophisticated Mustangs, and Dyno Dynamics
Dynos). PSI also rents out their MAHA dyno to many other well known race teams throughout Europe.
PSI also has 100% access to one of the worlds finest ECU tuners, who has
worked with numerous race teams (which much of seems highly con-
fidential).
They will be campaining several race teams this year including one
in the American Lemans Series! (ALMS)
So apparently PSI does have some smarts and abilities and yes they are
aware of what octane fuel we use on this side of the pond.
I bring this to peoples attention since the people at 969 who should know
all of this and be educating people have chosen not to do so, and they
are selling representing a bulletproof product that has not been given a
chance becuase it is not part of the "old boys club..."
Old 12-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,099 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodster
I bring this to peoples attention since the people at 969 who should know
all of this and be educating people have chosen not to do so, and they
are selling representing a bulletproof product that has not been given a
chance becuase it is not part of the "old boys club..."

Yep, and someone, I can't remember who said Neil was a shipping mgr and Roock. But this article in Car and Driver says different.

http://www.roockusa.com/car_driver.pdf
Old 12-12-2005, 02:30 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Rolo
Yep, and someone, I can't remember who said Neil was a shipping mgr and Roock. But this article in Car and Driver says different.

http://www.roockusa.com/car_driver.pdf
Again, the marketing world at its best. Rook was chased out of the business and it is widely known that his staff did not have the technical background. In fact the original programming done for Rook was by GIAC. I will not get into the reasons why they stopped, but they built their US files around that.

In regards to the dime title. He has admitted that he was the shipping manager for Mr Rook. Bottom line is if anyone here had visited Rook all the engines were sent across the pond. Nothing was internally modified in house. It was all bolt on. There was no in house dyno. All of those same business practices are the same today with Neil.

This is the problem with the industry and the flash and bling.

No one is questioning PSI as a company. Just what is happening here in the US. The dynos floating around show a common issue that no one has yet to explain or address. The info is out there in black and white.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Again, the marketing world at its best. Rook was chased out of the business and it is widely known that his staff did not have the technical background. In fact the original programming done for Rook was by GIAC. I will not get into the reasons why they stopped, but they built their US files around that.

In regards to the dime title. He has admitted that he was the shipping manager for Mr Rook. Bottom line is if anyone here had visited Rook all the engines were sent across the pond. Nothing was internally modified in house. It was all bolt on. There was no in house dyno. All of those same business practices are the same today with Neil.

This is the problem with the industry and the flash and bling.

No one is questioning PSI as a company. Just what is happening here in the US. The dynos floating around show a common issue that no one has yet to explain or address. The info is out there in black and white.

Are there more dyno's out there that show this problem other than the one posted here? Per the dyno's on the website they look pretty smooth, they don't have that dip. So are we beating them up over one dyno chart? Do all tuners dyno charts look exactly alike, or from time to time do they show a problem?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:51 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Yes, but you will have to have the owners that have them post them. There are several out there. I think that most of us are in agreement that this is an issue here, not there. Until recently no one had even seen a US car on a dyno with these programs.

Dynos will tend to show like curves. They will not be identical, but dips like the one present will not be there is there isn't an issue Regardless of dyno. I post mine directly from my dyno and they stay consistent with testing from the customers or other dealers.

When we have had a problem we have publicly acknowledged and corrected the issue. As mentioned before the amount of traveling we use do while development was going on.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Yes, but you will have to have the owners that have them post them. There are several out there. I think that most of us are in agreement that this is an issue here, not there. Until recently no one had even seen a US car on a dyno with these programs.

Dynos will tend to show like curves. They will not be identical, but dips like the one present will not be there is there isn't an issue Regardless of dyno. I post mine directly from my dyno and they stay consistent with testing from the customers or other dealers.

When we have had a problem we have publicly acknowledged and corrected the issue. As mentioned before the amount of traveling we use do while development was going on.

So do you think its a software problem or a writing problem?

My buddie has the 480 PSI on his 01 tip. And I tell you that car is fast.

Obviously I don't have a chip on my 3 cause I am not conviced anyone can get much more HP out of it. So I have no dog in this fight.

We have another friend that had Brumos chip his car. He thinks its a GIAC chip??? Would you know?

Anyway, the PSI car rips him a new one, and his car is back in getting redone cause it thows all kinds of lights. The PSI car hasn't thrown the first one?

And I didn't use GIAC to make a point against your product, cause I am not positive its a GIAC chip.....but thats what he THINKs it is.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:36 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Well that would be one in the same. Whether or not it is a US vs Euro file conversion is what I don’t know. I can speak from experience that the Euro files and the US files that we use are not the same.

In regards to what is fast and what feels fast. I apologize, I can’t data-log the “feel” factor. This is why I do tons of testing and retesting. Unfortunately what would feel fast to you would more than likely feel rather slow to me. It is not a data point that can be accurately measured. I need real data in order to make an educated ruling. Even with all of the data it still is not a clear cut answer all the time. So many factors.

Brumos is not a GIAC dealer. So what mod he has I really couldn’t tell you. After 50K mikes I have never had a CEL that was not caused by something physical, nor have my customers. You can look around at some other brands and see issues with PSM/ABS etc. These issues were never issues for our software.

Tell your friend if he wants to find out if it is a GIAC send me the ECU. I will have a look at it for him free of cost.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:11 PM
RobCS
6th Gear

Ok I found some official information concerning PSI Motorsport.

They voluntary laid down the books in August. A report of the official revisor states that they had a negative balance-sheet of 888.000 Euro , that's over one million dollar.

You can read all about it in the official collection of the laws of Belgium.
http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/tsv...sv_sum_a_f.htm
click on Autre Sommaire , then click on 2005-09-02 , then click on PSI Motorsport.

A new company with a new owner was founded with the name PSI Experience , click on 2005-10-10

Too bad they had to go down this way.
I wish them all the best with their company.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:35 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Originally Posted by RobCS
Ok I found some official information concerning PSI Motorsport.

They voluntary laid down the books in August. A report of the official revisor states that they had a negative balance-sheet of 888.000 Euro , that's over one million dollar.

You can read all about it in the official collection of the laws of Belgium.
http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/tsv...sv_sum_a_f.htm
click on Autre Sommaire , then click on 2005-09-02 , then click on PSI Motorsport.

A new company with a new owner was founded with the name PSI Experience , click on 2005-10-10

Too bad they had to go down this way.
I wish them all the best with their company.

Yes truely too bad. I found out about their mess late summer when a whole bunch of race engines arrived at Manthey Racing for completion.

Theo

Quick Reply: PSI 996TT dyno results