Sponsored by:

For those who regularly track their 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 12:22 PM
jjv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who regularly track their 996TT

How have the track-related maintenance costs been?

I'm currently in an Audi RS 6 that I have tracked 12 times. I'm burning through brake pads, rotors, and tires at an alarming rate, but I'm certain it's directly related to the physics of stopping and turning 4,200 lbs. Audi stuffed a lot into the engine bay, so things get quite heated up in there. The intercoolers vent right into the front wheel wells, too, which adversely affects brake cooling. At the high speed tracks like Pocono (the Long Course) and Mont-Tremblant, a 20-minute run session is about all I can squeeze out of the RS 6 before everything starts to overheat. I went through a set of Pagid Blue front pads in two days at Pocono earlier this year. Pagid Grey has worked well but they are not rotor-friendly. I'm currently using Pagid Black. I've also boiled the power steering fluid. In order to replace the power steering rack, the engine needs to be pulled! Twenty-five service hours...

The RS 6 is a great daily driver, but quite honestly, I've been driving it less on the street so I can "save" it for the track. I'm thinking about replacing it with a used 996TT, but I'd like to get a sense of the track-related "issues" that might crop up, especially since I will be owning the car out of warranty. It won't be my daily driver, and I will most likely be trailering it to the track.

I know there are other 996 models that are more suited as a track-only car, but I cut my teeth on the track with the Audi RS 6 and AWD has become my security blanket. Now if I should really be thinking GT3 or another model, please don't be afraid to steer me in that direction.

Great community you guys have here. I've own/owned Bimmers and Audis in the past, and I think it's time to step up.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 08-19-2005, 03:52 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

I have tracked my 996TT for the last 1.5 years. The TT is also heavy and therefore uses up pads, rotors and tires. But there are no heating/overheating issues. The engine was designed from a race engine so it is rock-solid for track use. A GT3 would be a better track car, bu the TT is the best compromise for track/street driving.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:59 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The RS6 ravenously eats brake pads and tires, and boils brake fluid on the track. You'll have much better success with the 996, any variant. The RS6 is just way too heavy.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:57 PM
jjv
Intermediate

Thanks for the input. Good to hear that the engine is solid. I presume that the tranny is as well?
Old 08-20-2005, 07:53 PM
nova996
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jjv
Thanks for the input. Good to hear that the engine is solid. I presume that the tranny is as well?
Yes. The tranny in the Turbo is a more robust unit than the tranny used in the C2/C4/S cars. Not that the regular 996 unit is fragile either. But the Turbo/GT3/GT2 have similar (same?) trannies and are extremely capable for the track. I don't know if the Turbo has the steel syncros and tranmission oil cooling system of the GT3/GT2.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:18 PM
BoneDaddy
Advanced

Oil, brake pads, oil ,tires, oil, brake pads, oil, tires...
Old 08-22-2005, 07:49 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 54 Posts

66,000 miles on my Turbo and 6 track events - daily driven in snow, rain, sun or whatever I get thrown at me and I just replaced my first set of pads on the PCCB's. The car is ROCK solid.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:28 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Four seasons on the track.....ave 4-6 weekends/summer...35K total miles......I use Pagid Orange & go through a set of rotors a year but other than going to steel lines & religiously changing super blue, the brakes are great (adequate for me anyway).
My opin is this car is a hoot on tracks like Mont-Tremblant, Rd America, etc

For me, no signif driveline issues.........I've changed to Sachs motorsports clutch & early-on went through a front differential (while still under warranty ).
She's a pretty solid car Joe........most anything can be taken apart and fixed........take care of her and she makes a great weekend warrior

Quick Reply: For those who regularly track their 996TT