Sponsored by:

Flash programming

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 04:53 AM
SLVRX50
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flash programming

Well I’m definitely going to step up to the plate and do the ECU flash programming. I’ve narrowed it down to either a GIAC flash at 91 octane rating – good for about 60-70HP – about $2500. In about a month GIAC can offer me a flash switch to change from a 91 octane setting to a 100 octane setting - that's where that 100 octane 76 gas will work!
OR
The REVO flash programming good for about 65-75HP and about $2500 as well-

Both are undetectable at the dealer – neither show how many times the ECU has been flashed – both are reversible and both companies are willing to flash back to stock and the reflash it again - if I needed to have any major warranty work performed.

Any suggestions, comments, or I’m I missing something – looking for advice.

Thanks!
SLVRX50
Old 01-19-2005, 05:12 AM
kwb
Advanced

I have the Revo on my GT2 and live in San Clemente if you want to go for a ride and check mine out -

I highly recomend it and Mark at Hergesheimer Motor Sports in Lake Forest is awesome!
Old 01-19-2005, 06:20 AM
vyper340
Pro

How can I find out who in my area (Virginia Beach, VA) can do these upgrades or is it like others that you have a module that you plug into the OBD II and flash yourself?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Laura
Pro

SLVRX50,

If you are interested in having REVO, I am extending to you an offer to visit us in Lake Forest and I will install a 5 hour (engine hours) trial version for no $$. I'm confident you will like it.

Laura
Old 01-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Craig.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SLVRX50,

I have had MANY different programs in my 02 996TTx50. First, I had a few different FVD programs -- without getting into details, I was less than satisfied (understatement). Next, I used a custom program created by Gunther specifically for my car (Gunther has done programming for a few different European tuners) -- this was a great program and I was very happy with it. Next, I switched to a GIAC program custom designed by Garrett for another 996TT using the same turbos as I was using at the time -- great program! Next, I switched to another GIAC program custom designed for the new turbos I am currently using -- great program.

I do not have any personal experience using a REVO program. However, a friend of mine used a REVO program for his S4 -- he has a very agressive S4 -- one of the fastest in the country. Initially, he was very happy. At some point, his glee wore off -- I don't recall why.

At my friend's recommendation, I spoke with a REVO representative (I forgot his name) who was in California at the time. I was very impressed with his knowledge of programming and his pitch for the REVO products. It appeared to me that REVO has a good product (although I am far from an expert on such matters). Interestingly, the guy from REVO spoke VERY highly of Garrett and GIAC. In fact, whereas he promised a significant hp increase over almost every other programmer, he observed that GIAC's programs were top notch and, if he was able to achieve any hp gains over GIAC on my particular car, they would be minimal. He claimed that REVO's programs address more reference points than GIAC's programs and, were therefore, somewhat better. He also claimed that only REVO has solved the 1.3 bar throttle body shut down issue, which is not true -- GIAC has solved this issue as well. Nevertheless, he showed great respect for Garrett and GIAC, in contrast to other companies offering programs for the 996TT.

I ultimately stayed with GIAC because they already had a program customized for my unique turbos, they have much more experience with 996TTs than REVO, and REVO prasied GIAC's program and candidly acknowledged that it would not be able to achieve meaningful gains over GIAC. My sense is that REVO has a good product. REVO is also more ameanable to custom dyno tuning than GIAC. On the other hand, REVO has not been doing 996TTs for that long.

Thats my 2 cents.

Craig
Old 01-19-2005, 02:46 PM
SLVRX50
Intermediate

Wow – thank you all for such good input – Both the REVO and GIAC sound like good options.
Laura – thank you for the offer – once I get my car back from the dealer (it’s been popping out of 2nd gear – I’m working on getting a new tranny put in), I’ll call you to schedule a time to come down and try the REVO program! Question- does the REVO have an adjustment for different octane levels or is it set at one level. The reason I ask is because I can fill the tank with 100 octane locally in Orange County (the 76 station off La Paz and the 5 frwy) but if I take it for a long trip and don’t have the 100 octane available will the REVO program have any adverse affects?
Apparently the GIAC is going to offer a flash adjustment that I can adjust myself from a 91 octane to 100 octane level – that adjustment feature will be available in about a month-

Thanks,
SLVRX50
Old 01-19-2005, 02:50 PM
kwb
Advanced

SLVRX50 - I buy gas at the same station! Revo comes with a switch box that allows you to select timing for the car to adjust for different octane levels. I'm sure Laura has more info..... Good luck.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

One thing that one must consider is that Revo has not tuned to anything other than K24's or GT1's.. Right now GIAC has and will tune to turbochargers than will dwarf the output of the mentioned turbochargers.. Craig's car hit 1.7bars the first time out the door.. He has been dialed back and everyday sees 1.4-1.5 bars.. Sharksters Stage 4 turbochargers I personally seen 28-29 PSI and I dialed them back.. He is now running larger turbochargers.. Stephens car run 1.4-1.5 bars on demand... Writing programs for stock turbochargers whether they are K16's or X50 K24's have and has been around for many years.. Flash loading these high HP programs kind of point to who the leaders are in this market..
Old 01-20-2005, 01:19 AM
SLVRX50
Intermediate

Cool-very good insight!
KWB - might see you filling up sometime!

Thanks!
SLVRX50
Old 01-20-2005, 01:31 AM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Craig,
You have PM.
Evan
Old 01-21-2005, 01:59 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
One thing that one must consider is that Revo has not tuned to anything other than K24's or GT1's.. Right now GIAC has and will tune to turbochargers than will dwarf the output of the mentioned turbochargers.. Craig's car hit 1.7bars the first time out the door.. He has been dialed back and everyday sees 1.4-1.5 bars.. Sharksters Stage 4 turbochargers I personally seen 28-29 PSI and I dialed them back.. He is now running larger turbochargers.. Stephens car run 1.4-1.5 bars on demand... Writing programs for stock turbochargers whether they are K16's or X50 K24's have and has been around for many years.. Flash loading these high HP programs kind of point to who the leaders are in this market..
I wish we could all run 28-29psi! Won't last long but maaaan it's fun
Old 01-21-2005, 02:12 AM
kwb
Advanced

It is very easy to crank up the boost on any turbo / supercharged engine and make huge power - but for how long?????

tic-toc-tic-toc-tic...boom!
Old 01-21-2005, 02:49 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's not on the 996TT. The ECU on that car is one complex SOB. There really are only a few people in the world (Garrett being one of them) that can actually figure out what's going on with PSM, Throttle Body cut out, AFRs, knock sensor/suppression, timing advance etc.... It's not _that_ simple on these cars.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:15 AM
kwb
Advanced

It can be done - but my point is at 25+ psi on an otherwise stock 996 motor you can't expect it to live long.......
Old 01-21-2005, 03:20 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kwb
It can be done - but my point is at 25+ psi on an otherwise stock 996 motor you can't expect it to live long.......
Well I agree about shortening the life of a motor. I have 30K miles on my highly boosted car and am going to do some surgery on it at 40k or sooner. I believe Stephen did his at 40K also? One thing that WILL prevent the car from blowing up however is the increadibly impressive knock supression on the 996TT brain. Where as many other cars would surely see detonation under certain instances (bad gas plus too much boost combos) the 996tt one doesn't seem to let that kind of thing happen. Now plug in a piggyback system where you start essentially to "lie" to the ECU and knock supression and that's a different story.

Quick Reply: Flash programming