Ferrari Challenge Stradale

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ferrari Challenge Stradale

I took a test drive in a Ferrari Challenge Stradale yesterday and was so impressed I decided to buy it. Although my Ruf accelerates much faster, there's no way in hell I could keep up with the Stradale on the twisties. The response to the driver's input is nearly instantaneous. In fact, gear changes can be made in about 1/10 of a second! Throttle, steering and braking response are equally fast.

I've been a Ruf/Porsche person for over 20 years and would have never considered a Ferrari due to their poor reliability, quality and mediocre performance. The Stradale is something else entirely. I highly recommend it. It's a completely useable race car for the street and very exciting to drive. In fact, I've been told some owners prefer it over their Enzos for the street.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that in order to get the desired increase in handling/performance, Ferrari had to trim excess "fat" from the 360. This includes the sound system, insulation, and other "creature comforts". Most magazine reviews say that this is exactly what makes the challenge stradale UNDESIRABLE for the street; that it's purely a track car.

I've never been in one, but the magazine line of reasoning sounds more on the money to me...
Old 09-22-2004, 08:54 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I understand that in order to get the desired increase in handling/performance, Ferrari had to trim excess "fat" from the 360. This includes the sound system, insulation, and other "creature comforts". Most magazine reviews say that this is exactly what makes the challenge stradale UNDESIRABLE for the street; that it's purely a track car.

I've never been in one, but the magazine line of reasoning sounds more on the money to me...
It depends on how you ordered it. Mine has leather seats, leather dash, leather door sill trim, leather-trimmed radio and leather headliner. No carpet, but rubber mats. Door panels and center console are carbon fiber. Your do feel and hear the seams in the freeway. You also occasionally hear the rocks hitting against the underside. Engine is loud but tolerable. I think the level of noise and stiffness if just right for the performance you get. However, that's me. It might be too little or too much for others.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:55 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A RUF and a Stradale! Wow! Post pics!
Old 09-22-2004, 10:59 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought the Stradale was more comfortable than the GT3. The sound is a plus. Like the Corvette vs Porsche argument, it's a matter of style, performance, and cachet vs. price. In this case, the GT3 occupies the Corvette role. AS
Old 09-22-2004, 11:32 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Yes, those Ferrari's are a work of art and finesse especially in the twisties. A couple of months ago I was at Ferrari DE event at Limerock and those cars were amazing in the esses before no name straight. However, with the twin turbo's I would pull away from the regular 360's on the straight and the up hill. Yea, for Porsche.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:16 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know if the Stradale has automatic adjusting shocks? The quality of the ride with jounce and rebound control was was impressive, in view if the absence of roll. Anyway, I thought the difference was shock absorbers. AS
Old 09-23-2004, 01:20 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I beleive so because when you're in race mode it is significantly stiffer
Old 09-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill S.
It depends on how you ordered it. Mine has leather seats, leather dash, leather door sill trim, leather-trimmed radio and leather headliner. No carpet, but rubber mats. Door panels and center console are carbon fiber. Your do feel and hear the seams in the freeway. You also occasionally hear the rocks hitting against the underside. Engine is loud but tolerable. I think the level of noise and stiffness if just right for the performance you get. However, that's me. It might be too little or too much for others.
Congrats, Bill -- drive it in the best of health. You didn't waste any time -- didn't we only talk about these cars 2 days ago.

The CS is a stripper, but therein lies it's beauty -- leather or racing suede interior are no cost options -- the radio is an after thought and totally unnecessary (and useless in terms of sound quality) given the magnificent sounds the engine makes -- the carbon fibre is real and everywhere it should be -- and what a fun car to drive. While it's reliable, it's not a daily driver. It just attracts too much attention, even if it's not yellow or red. .

Old 09-23-2004, 11:24 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Nice ride Jack. Use it in good health. AS
Old 09-24-2004, 12:13 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Bill,

Congratulations for the Stradale. It's an amazing car. last month I had dinner with an M5 buddy (visiting from Boston) who just got his Stradale. He gushed about his car, as wll he should. He then took a spin in my RUF and adored the ride as well.

Like Addison said, a RUF and a Stradale, you are living right. Enjoy in good health.

CP
Old 09-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack
Congrats, Bill -- drive it in the best of health. You didn't waste any time -- didn't we only talk about these cars 2 days ago.
Jack, you should get a commission on your "sale".

Here's some pics...
Attached Images   
Old 09-24-2004, 12:42 AM
CP
Race Director

Bill,
Pretty maids, all in a row.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the car in the middle? I can't make that out from the pics.

Thanks.

CP
Old 09-24-2004, 12:49 AM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CP
Bill,
Pretty maids, all in a row.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the car in the middle? I can't make that out from the pics.

Thanks.

CP
That's a Viper RT/10. When parked side-by-side, the Viper almost always made the Ruf invisible. Now the Stradale makes the Viper and the Ruf invisible.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:09 AM
CP
Race Director

Bill,

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that is the case, but the mirror of the Stradale hid the rear side vent of the Viper from view.

That's gotta be about 1,500+ ponies rseting in that garage there. You are my HERO.

CP

Quick Reply: Ferrari Challenge Stradale