Sponsored by:

Hit a deer going 60

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 06:57 PM
Kevpm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hit a deer going 60

Crazy story. My commute to work is through a rural area that is full of deer (I have hit 3 now in my life), almost hitting one headed in. I got off at 8 and since I had the near miss in the morning, I decided to take the longer route home that is mostly highway.

Well that turned out to not help, while taking an exit off the Baltimore beltway, onto another interstate, a deer run out from behind some bushes in the medium and right in front of my 996 traveling at around 60mph. I saw it as it was making impact. No time to swerve or even touch the brakes. I was likely accelerating.

The impact thankfully seemed to be right in the center of my bumper, saving me from injury or worse, had it come through the windshield. No airbags deployed and since I was only a couple miles from home, I just continued to drive before stopping to check out the damage. No warning lights, and the car did not start to overheat.

I now have the pleasure of fighting with the insurance company. I was pressured to use one of their “select shops” but know better after being in the car business for 20 years and knowing that perfect paint work is an art and only ever been happy with work done at 2 shops. Both are closed but the owner of one now manages the bodyshop of a BMW dealer and I trust him to do it right.

Insurance has told me flat out I might have to pay up to 20% of the bill because they only pay a certain rate and he may be higher. He also said he will only use OEM parts, which are the only parts I want, but insurance might deny it.

I have decided to risk the extra expense and take it to this shop. This is my dream car I saved years for to buy, and am as nutty as they come when it comes to paintwork being perfect. I just completed a 60 hour full paint correction on the car with a ceramic coating. I bought the car in January and it is currently my daily driver (until I find a cheap daily)

Anyone have any feedback to help me with this process? I am aware how critical a perfect repair is down the line whenever I do sell the car, plus it will drive me insane if it doesn’t look as close to perfect as possible.

I’m sure once they take the bumper off they will find tons of additional damage. It was a hard hit. Porsche really builds these cars well. One headlight is cracked and I’m almost hoping the other is damaged as well or I know they will never match.

Old 06-20-2024, 07:03 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 823 Likes on 570 Posts

Sucks, pics will help as to it being a comp claim verus collision as we can see the deer fur. I live amongst tons of deer, they're a nuisance, in my back yard all day.

Sorry this happened, I would not worry too much about the non-OEM parts as they don't really make A/M stuff for these cars, at least not the lights, and pretty sure not the front cover/hood. It may have damage at the front tub, they'll know once torn apart. You are entitled to have the car repaired wherever you want, they can't use any tactics to have it repaired at their DRP shops. Just drop the car off to your buddy and let him deal w/ it. He'll get paid for the work and you'll have little to no involvement.
Old 06-20-2024, 07:03 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 823 Likes on 570 Posts

Let me know if you can get the headlights once fixed/replaced, I'd be interested in them.
Old 06-20-2024, 07:42 PM
lost27
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

That sucks, I can empathize. I hit a deer last November and the damage looked much worse than what you have there. After about $32k in repairs using all new OEM parts she's all back together looking new. Here's what my car looked like before and after: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...l#post19415309

Last edited by lost27; 06-20-2024 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2024, 07:50 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Sorry man, deer hits suck. They are one of the things I dread.

As S65E90 was saying you don't have to worry too much about aftermarket parts. From the photos almost everything has to be OEM because there are no other suppliers.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:05 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Sorry to hear of the mishap and glad it was not worse for you. The deer is presumably also worse for wear. I hit one once that was actually born on my property and flew down my property line onto the canyon road I was traversing. The damage was minimal, as it literally rolled up and over the hood. Although there was damage requiring minor hood work and paint, I did not bother filing a claim.

Yours is far worse and that bumper impact tells the tale. Good luck with it.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:22 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

On the bright side a new bumper cover will allow the removal of the front bumperettes.
The following users liked this post:
Road King (06-21-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 09:59 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

I live out in the country and have had a few close encounters with deer.

Amazon.com: AOCISKA 8 Pieces Deer Whistle,Deer Warning Whistles Device for Car,Save Deer Whistles Repellent Devices,Deer Whistles for Vehicles,Car Deer Warning Devices Animal Alert for Cars Trucks Motorcycles : Automotive Amazon.com: AOCISKA 8 Pieces Deer Whistle,Deer Warning Whistles Device for Car,Save Deer Whistles Repellent Devices,Deer Whistles for Vehicles,Car Deer Warning Devices Animal Alert for Cars Trucks Motorcycles : Automotive

does anyone know if these work?
Old 06-20-2024, 10:04 PM
Kevpm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
On the bright side a new bumper cover will allow the removal of the front bumperettes.
this and the 80k miles worth of rock chips on the hood and fenders. Although minimum I believe thanks to a leather bra I found in the frunk. Bumper was mint and has been replaced before, so not sure why they went with another one with the bumperettes.

Does anyone know if the options sticker under the hood can be reproduced? That screams accident.
Old 06-20-2024, 10:48 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

They do not.
Old 06-21-2024, 07:31 AM
lost27
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevpm
Does anyone know if the options sticker under the hood can be reproduced? That screams accident.
Yes, you can get all the underhood stickers reprinted. My shop did that for me.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 10:37 AM
RCF925
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

I also live in a rural area and there are a lot of deer around here, I had a 87 BMW 535is that was cherry and hit a deer, Completely destroyed front of car, Sold car after fixing, At least these Porsches aren't a brick shaped car like bmw was and seem to fair a little better unless rolling up into windshield
Old 06-21-2024, 10:42 AM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 163 Likes on 114 Posts

Awful to see but could definitely be worse. I don't think the underhood sticker is a big deal in contrast the to the damage that will need to be repaired, as far as records go. I can't read mine but have left it alone.

Lost27, wow. $32k! Holy cow
Old 06-21-2024, 03:02 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,472 Likes on 811 Posts

Sorry about the collision. There are a few positives though:

- You can get rid of the bumperettes on the front bumper now
- No more rock chips up front
Old 06-21-2024, 03:23 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

You didnt get hurt. A few years ago someone got killed on the highway near my house during rush hour after a deer went thru their front window. Total freak accident.

Cars can be replaced!

Quick Reply: Hit a deer going 60