docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Time to get the GT2 front bumper!
Old 06-21-2024, 06:13 PM
Scrh1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Sorry this happened but the important thing is that you escaped unscathed. New bumper cover and hood and you should be good to go ( of course after detailed inspection etc )
Old 06-21-2024, 06:39 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 241 Posts

What exit were you getting off? Lately I'm been going up to Baltimore maybe twice a week, 70 to 695 W. A few years back someone got killed when a deer went through the windshield, think on River Rd. I'm seeing a lot of deer recently, up to today in backyard and running through the development. Way more than in past years, especially given the time of year.

GL getting it fixed.
Old 06-21-2024, 06:47 PM
Kevpm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Certainly more than just a hood and bumper. Drivers side headlight has a large crack in it, passenger headlight was hit hard enough to loose washer cover (which leads me to think it broke something else) and I can’t imagine hitting a 100lb+ animal at 60 didn’t push things out of whack behind the bumper. It was a really hard hit and amazed the car took it so well. I got very very lucky.

I expect everything forward of doors to be repainted and doors blended. 23 year old paint is certainly faded. Of course the hood and fenders are original paint.

GT2 bumper might look nice since I do have a larger carbon fiber wing on the back, but I’m sure getting insurance to put anything that improves the car will be hard. A new bumper without the bumperettes will do if they don’t fight me on that. I am an insurance agents worst nightmare. Very very nutty about my car and its condition. It’s about as nice as any 2001 with 80k miles. Lifelong California car until I bought it. It will never see snow or salty roads, but is a driver I plan to add about 5k miles a year to.

Dealership also said it will need an alignment. Thankfully I work at a car dealer with a Porsche franchise next door, and get my servicing done insanely cheap. The car was just in a week ago and left with a perfect bill of health.

Last edited by Kevpm; 06-21-2024 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-21-2024, 07:06 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevpm
Certainly more than just a hood and bumper. Drivers side headlight has a large crack in it, passenger headlight was hit hard enough to loose washer cover (which leads me to think it broke something else) and I can’t imagine hitting a 100lb+ animal at 60 didn’t push things out of whack behind the bumper.
Those "washer covers" can come off if you try use them at over 20 mph so that's no usable criteria, but it is as you suggest any "unseen" damage that is the concern.

Saying you need an alignment is roughly analogous to saying that will all "buff out". If luckier still ( you were not hurt! ) then it's all just superficial cosmetics. The car can be repaired properly and to your liking, but will always have had that "accident". Count me also among the others that suggest that the good news is you will have the opportunity to remove the bumper war.. err, sorry "bumperettes". I was going to suggest that also but waited so as not to add insult to injury. But I truly empathize as I once had a 20+K mile 996 Turbo creampuff totalled, and I was distraught for quite some time. Even after replacing it with another. You never get over your first. Good luck man and give 'em hell at the insurance claim. I once "fought" and got my claim upped several thousand $ but not without a fight. "they" like to settle fast and cheap(ly) if possible. So be their ":worst nightmare" and get what is due you for your loss even though it's not a TL is still diminishes value on the market.

Last edited by Lazurus; 06-21-2024 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2024, 07:47 PM
Kevpm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
What exit were you getting off? Lately I'm been going up to Baltimore maybe twice a week, 70 to 695 W. A few years back someone got killed when a deer went through the windshield, think on River Rd. I'm seeing a lot of deer recently, up to today in backyard and running through the development. Way more than in past years, especially given the time of year.

GL getting it fixed.
I was getting off 695 at Falls Road which merges into the end of 83 which of course is a highway. Never would have expected a deer to be there of all the places I drive.

Maybe I need a heavy duty brush guard for the front? lol
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (06-21-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 02:07 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

I was getting off 695 at Falls Road which merges into the end of 83 which of course is a highway. Never would have expected a deer to be there of all the places I drive.

Maybe I need a heavy duty brush guard for the front? lol
I know where that is, and surprised that deer would be running around in those parts. Then again there's just so much of them around. Everyday I have to run them from the backyard.

Let us know how it works out.
Old 06-22-2024, 10:31 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Insurance doesn't care what parts go on the car. They're going to give a certain amount to pay for a bumper cover, you just use that amount for a GT2 one.
Old 06-22-2024, 03:19 PM
Kevpm
Rennlist Member

GT2 bumper doesn't sound like a bad idea. The car has a carbon fiber rear spoiler I could sell and use it to pay for a GT2 wing to complete the package. I am guessing my current wing with the working mechanism would sell for close to what it would cost to buy a GT2 looking rear wing. OEM is insanely costly and there seem to be ones that look 98% the same.

I do worry about resale value down the line. It does seem that 100% OEM makes the value the highest. I do not plan to sell this car anytime soon, but down the line when I do, I would want to get the most for the car. I fully expect the value to rise. I got a good deal on this car when I bought it because it is lightly modded (tune, remus exhaust, HRE wheels, carbon fiber wing, carbon fiber steering wheel)....plus it had 78k miles. I didn't want a garage queen as I want to drive the car without worrying too much about mileage. I am shopping for a cheap daily to use when the weather isn't nice out or hauling crap.

I originally planned to put it all back to stock (minus the tune and exhaust).....but the more I look at GT2's the more I am thinking this is a fantastic idea.
Old 06-24-2024, 02:27 PM
Kevpm
Rennlist Member

Insurance estimate is $1322.12 via photos I had to send in. No parts listed even though pictures clearly show a broken front bumper, severely damage hood, and cracked headlight. They seem to think they can fix this all with labor. Based on other accidents I have seen on here, this estimate is about 1/10-1/20th the true cost to put the car back exactly as it was.

I will not list the name of the insurance company but was told by my body shop guy that this is one of the two companies that give them the most problems.

Old 06-24-2024, 02:30 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Insurance estimate is $1322.12 via photos I had to send in. No parts listed even though pictures clearly show a broken front bumper, severely damage hood, and cracked headlight. They seem to think they can fix this all with labor. Based on other accidents I have seen on here, this estimate is about 1/10-1/20th the true cost to put the car back exactly as it was.

I will not list the name of the insurance company but was told by my body shop guy that this is one of the two companies that give them the most problems.
They must of been looking at a corolla pics. That's way too low.
Old 06-24-2024, 02:42 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

I had someone back into my front bumper and put a crack in it. Cost was double your estimate.
Old 06-24-2024, 02:43 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 823 Likes on 570 Posts

They can't accurately estimate via photos. Just let the shop deal w/ them.
The following 2 users liked this post by s65e90:
Carlo_Carrera (06-24-2024), LinwoodM (06-26-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 02:46 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 823 Likes on 570 Posts

Car will likely get a left headlight, new hood/emblem/grommets, front cover (though that can be fixed, hood is arguable too, but eh), and fenders will need to be blended due to proximity of hood. Headlights will need re-aiming. Once front cover is removed, there may be slight damage hidden near reinforcement. Likely a $5k+ repair.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 04:07 PM
Kevpm
Rennlist Member

What scares me is them continuing to tell me that I might be on the hook for 15-20% of the repair costs since I am not using one of their shops. I will happily pay a little bit to make it right, but 10-20% of a $10k+ repair.... plus rental car fees when my 33 days of rental run out.... could add up quickly. Just a new OEM hood, bumper, and two headlights is a lot of money (both headlights are damaged beyond repair).The passenger fender is flattened on top compared to the other. I believe the deer bounced off that area, taking the headlight washer cap off, and breaking the headlight internals....plus damage to that fender.

I hit a deer in a simlar way about 15 years ago in my E46 M3. Very similar damage. Estimate at the body shop when that happened was $7k at the beginning, when all was said and done it was $15k.

If this was an accident that was my fault, I might feel different, but this was completely out of my control and happened when I was driving home a route that tried to avoid the deer.

Quick Reply: Hit a deer going 60