Sponsored by:

996CTSR race build....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 03:22 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,098 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
I have 4 similar LED lights on the front of my Tacoma. They make night into day for a good half mile down the road.
Yes they do...

Old 06-03-2022, 03:46 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,484 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
We have it set up with a daytime running feature at a reduced output for greater daytime visibility on track.
Good idea. Just using a PWM controller on them?
Old 06-03-2022, 03:57 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,086 Likes on 3,096 Posts

That is very cool; pity they are not street legal as they are most certainly brighter than stock.

And there is nothing wrong with an 8800lm light with that filter on it; very impressive. I used two of them (not that model, drive/flood) on my Excursion and they are very very good at identifying caribou and deer lurking in the ditches on the side of the road.

As it is now a pure race car, do you even need lights up front? Sounds like a little more weight savings potential if you don't.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:10 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Good idea. Just using a PWM controller on them?
Everything is controlled via the Motec M150 ECU and Motec PDM. The programming variations for the operation of the lights are infinite.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:14 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
That is very cool; pity they are not street legal as they are most certainly brighter than stock.

And there is nothing wrong with an 8800lm light with that filter on it; very impressive. I used two of them (not that model, drive/flood) on my Excursion and they are very very good at identifying caribou and deer lurking in the ditches on the side of the road.

As it is now a pure race car, do you even need lights up front? Sounds like a little more weight savings potential if you don't.
Lights are obviously needed for night races. Not that I have plans to do that but having lights on the car with a daytime running feature for increased visibility is always good. Having lights on a car is a no brainer. The weight savings in this area are significants and the light output of the OEM lights is lousy by comparison so getting rid of them was a no brainer.

With the said, I have a mint condition set of OEM Xenon light assemblies for sale now...
Old 06-21-2022, 03:44 PM
rathersmart
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which CF roof did you end up getting?
Old 06-21-2022, 08:48 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rathersmart
which CF roof did you end up getting?
Manthey

Last edited by powdrhound; 06-21-2022 at 08:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rathersmart (06-23-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 10:07 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Engine has been in and out of the car a few times getting all the various details sorted and for basic engine runs. Base Motec tune is done with the rest to be tweaked on the dyno. I stopped by the shop and did the last engine drop yesterday so that final fitment off all the various accessories can be finalized. Since the engine has been severely simplified, dropping it out of the car is roughly a 90 minute affair start to finish. Disconnect Y-pipe, Drain coolant, disconnect driveshafts, 5 coolant hoses, 2 clutch lines, 1 fuel line, shifter cables, harness connector, and unbolt the gearbox and engine mount nuts. That's it. Here are some pics some of you technical engine types may find interesting...

Tial XR1000 turbocharger with deleted breather line.. Note the water cooling return line.

Left side bank fuel rail.. Note the capped-off supply port which is no longer used. Fuel enters the fuel rail via the fuel line between the 2/3 intake runner.

Right side bank fuel rail.. Note the absence of a fuel pressure regulator. Fuel enters the fuel rail via the fuel line between the 4/5 intake runner.

-8AN fuel supply line feeding the engine through 3 fuel dampers. The 3rd fuel damper is visible mounted on a bracket next to the #3 intake runner. Note the left bank N75 valve above the duel damper. Right bank has it's own N75 valve.

Close up of the fuel damper. Note the crankcase pressure line ahead of the oil cooler and it's associated line going to the pressure sensor.

Water heater line capped off on the engine Cup style, visible between intake runner 1 and 2.

Gill oil level sensor. These are the sensors used on F1 cars. Very precise...

-4AN wastegate lines. Note the capped-off turbocharger breather lines.

IPD 75mm intake plenum. Note the only port on top of the plenum is for the -3AN vacuum/boost reference line for the fuel pressure regulator located in the front trunk by the fuel tank.

Motec LTCD (Lambda to CAN dual) module along with the intake plenum boost pressure sensor located under the Y-pipe (where the A/C compressor would normally reside).

Left 1-3 bank and right 4-6 bank connector for the turbine drive pressure sensors. Note the aluminum "Y" splitter for the -8AN fuel lines going to each respective fuel rail.

Left bank stainless steel exhaust with it's V-banded 3.5" titanium straight pipes and associated Ti 1/4 wave resonators. Only 1 newer generation Bosch LSU 4.9 oxygen sensor per bank. Note the 997GT3 vacuum pump located on the drivers side intake camshaft.

997Cup serpentine belt routing. Note the 997Cup idler pulley (one with holes) and the associated light weight Cup crank pulley.

Gearbox with it's oil cooler and accessories visible. Top to bottom, note the disconnect line for the clutch hydraulic bearing supply, vacuum/boost reference, clutch hydraulic bearing return. The blue silicone coupler is for the cold side coolant inlet for the gearbox cooler. Vacuum operated coolant valve is programmed to open when vehicle is moving and gearbox temp is above a preset temperature

-8AN fuel line disconnect ahead of the gearbox bolts up to the 2nd fuel damper located in the tunnel (1st fuel damper is by the fuel tank in the trunk). The fuel dampers are a key (but completely overlooked by most) to a smooth running engine with big injectors. The hot coolant from the gearbox cooler outlet connects to the hot side coolant pipe in the passenger side of the car.

Solid metal hard transmission mount

Last edited by powdrhound; 07-07-2022 at 08:57 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by powdrhound:
17ram2500 (07-06-2022), kamlung (07-06-2022), zbomb (07-09-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 10:15 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

so sexy...
Old 07-06-2022, 10:45 PM
17ram2500
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 115 Posts

I hope to one day have half of the knowledge you have.
The following users liked this post:
Capt. Obvious (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 11:05 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,484 Likes on 816 Posts

...I'd even settle for half the budget.
The following 2 users liked this post by Capt. Obvious:
17ram2500 (07-07-2022), LinwoodM (07-07-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 11:22 PM
paopao
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 99 Posts

Awesome info as usual. @powdrhound can you explain the engineering/design behind deleting the breather tubing at the turbochargers? Do the turbo oil tanks just not need this system anymore with the Xonas? Would love to simplify as much on my setup as I can while I have the engine out.

Am I correct that these deleted hoses originally had vacuum to help gather oil vapors back to the sump tank (vacuum provided by the larger hose on the side of the sump tank plumbed into the intake plenum pre-turbo)?

Tial XR1000 turbocharger with deleted breather line.. Note the water cooling return line.

-4AN wastegate lines. Note the capped-off turbocharger breather lines.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:38 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paopao
Awesome info as usual. @powdrhound can you explain the engineering/design behind deleting the breather tubing at the turbochargers? Do the turbo oil tanks just not need this system anymore with the Xonas? Would love to simplify as much on my setup as I can while I have the engine out.

Am I correct that these deleted hoses originally had vacuum to help gather oil vapors back to the sump tank (vacuum provided by the larger hose on the side of the sump tank plumbed into the intake plenum pre-turbo)?
Chris Cervelli is the one who did all the technical engineering on this engine so I can not take credit for any of this. He said the breathers were not necessary. The 993GT2 race car used K24s and they did not have any sump tank breathers either. You can see this in the picture below. We did contact Mike Franke, the Xona engineering rep at Tial and he confirmed that the sump vents were indeed not needed for our application on the XR1000s. We essentially deleted anything that served no purpose.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/87731073@N06/, on Flickr
The following 3 users liked this post by powdrhound:
Darkstar1 (03-28-2023), kamlung (07-07-2022), paopao (07-06-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 12:10 AM
sub-zero
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

very very nice !!!!
Old 07-07-2022, 12:14 AM
paopao
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 99 Posts

A couple questions about the vacuum setup here:
- Are you still running the venturi for the brake booster? I know the OEM setup has it connected here.
- I believe the #16 check valve looks to be gone and the associated fuel tank EVAP valve. Deleted since it's a race car I'm assuming? Do you just have the tank vented to atmosphere?

Love the simplicity!

IPD 75mm intake plenum. Note the only port on top of the plenum is for the -3AN vacuum/boost reference line for the fuel pressure regulator located in the front trunk by the fuel tank.

Quick Reply: 996CTSR race build....