Sponsored by:

996CTSR race build....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 02:08 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by diverdog
I used to be in the "real men drive stick shifts" camp but wheel to wheel racing a 800HP car is way different than tooling along a country road at 8/10ths. Things happen very fast and I want two hands on the wheel at all times. Then there is the possibility of a money shift and the $40k engine replacement. This happened to me once when my pro co-driver blew it in an enduro.. I still have to manually up and down shift but paddles and a dog box make it much easier.

Now PDK's, THAT'S CHEATING! LOL
The money shift is a very real threat and one I would love to avoid…. That’s for sure.

Which system are you using?

Last edited by powdrhound; 11-19-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:27 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,174 Likes on 3,153 Posts

I used to be in the "real men drive stick shifts" camp but wheel to wheel racing a 800HP car is way different than tooling along a country road at 8/10ths. Things happen very fast and I want two hands on the wheel at all times. Then there is the possibility of a money shift and the $40k engine replacement. This happened to me once when my pro co-driver blew it in an enduro.. I still have to manually up and down shift but paddles and a dog box make it much easier.

Now PDK's, THAT'S CHEATING! LOL
I have discovered a few weaknesses in the PDK; primarily, when going down a grade, bending left or right, its 'intuition' seems a little compromised in that it will not downshift and hold speed, rather, it would pull load and not shift at all. I found that feeling a little unnerving. My M5 does a similar behavior, but it is overall not as smart as the PDK. Another quandary is if you are in Sport, or Sport +, auto, and if you try to override the choice with a manual input, sometimes it simply doesn't do anything, or is really slow to respond.

I have not driven an RS car, so the calibration on inputs and algorithms may be tuned a little different, or more finely tuned, but overall, even with those observations, the PDK is the best auto box I have ever driven.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:20 PM
diverdog
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
The money shift is a very real threat and one I would love to avoid…. That’s for sure.

Which system are you using?
The shifting hardware and software is from Geartronics.. The software runs on the Motec ECU. I decided on an Albins gearbox because of the much greater torque capacity and ease of gear changes. They don't make them for the rear engine Porsches. There are other 996 Cup Cars at Vision converted to TT engines using the Cup sequential gearbox with after market paddle shifters.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:30 PM
diverdog
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I have discovered a few weaknesses in the PDK; primarily, when going down a grade, bending left or right, its 'intuition' seems a little compromised in that it will not downshift and hold speed, rather, it would pull load and not shift at all. I found that feeling a little unnerving. My M5 does a similar behavior, but it is overall not as smart as the PDK. Another quandary is if you are in Sport, or Sport +, auto, and if you try to override the choice with a manual input, sometimes it simply doesn't do anything, or is really slow to respond.

I have not driven an RS car, so the calibration on inputs and algorithms may be tuned a little different, or more finely tuned, but overall, even with those observations, the PDK is the best auto box I have ever driven.
If you want a PDK car set up properly for racing the only one is the GT4 club sport. Getting a PDK to work with a good race ABS and shift properly is very difficult. The software for each type of car is different, IE, code modifications written for a Cayman PDK will not work for a 911. The turbo and GT3 are different too. Porsche has gone out of it's way to make it extremely difficult to modify the code. A friend of mine spent $30k + on coding to get a Cayman PDK to play nice with a Bosch race ABS.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:00 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

The shifting hardware and software is from Geartronics.. The software runs on the Motec ECU. I decided on an Albins gearbox because of the much greater torque capacity and ease of gear changes. They don't make them for the rear engine Porsches. There are other 996 Cup Cars at Vision converted to TT engines using the Cup sequential gearbox with after market paddle shifters.
A friend of mine has a very slick paddle shifter system on his 7.2Cup. I can't recall if it's Holinger or KPM but looks pretty slick. There are definitely options if I ever decided to go that route but for the time being I enjoy rowing the gears myself which is part of the overall enjoyment for me personally.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:23 AM
diverdog
Instructor

Originally Posted by powdrhound
A friend of mine has a very slick paddle shifter system on his 7.2Cup. I can't recall if it's Holinger or KPM but looks pretty slick. There are definitely options if I ever decided to go that route but for the time being I enjoy rowing the gears myself which is part of the overall enjoyment for me personally.
I drove a converted 996 turbo race car with 4 wheel drive and a six speed for a couple of races while my car was being finished. It was great fun except for the unassisted brakes. It took me a while to have faith that it would stop! Being a weight lifter with very strong legs was a good thing! LOL
Old 11-20-2021, 11:35 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you want a PDK car set up properly for racing the only one is the GT4 club sport. Getting a PDK to work with a good race ABS and shift properly is very difficult. The software for each type of car is different, IE, code modifications written for a Cayman PDK will not work for a 911. The turbo and GT3 are different too. Porsche has gone out of it's way to make it extremely difficult to modify the code. A friend of mine spent $30k + on coding to get a Cayman PDK to play nice with a Bosch race ABS.
No real surprise there; based on the way it operates (for the most part) on the 991TTs, I imagine that an enormous engineering effort has gone into each PDK platform to custom tailor it for that specific application, this GT4RS now being the latest and greatest, as it were.

A friend of mine spent $30k + on coding to get a Cayman PDK to play nice with a Bosch race ABS.

You know what they say about re-inventing the wheel...?

I also think that because of the mass of data Porsche collects on the PDK, both in daily driven and race applications, it will be a long time before the aftermarket can produce an economical (at least reasonably priced) solution that is on par with factory programming.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:44 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Welding is fairly easy once you get the concept down; doing the above is a whole different type of skill set.
having done a couple of less complex cages in my time, I agree with this 100%
Nice work, beautiful car
Old 01-07-2022, 01:15 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Finally had a little downtime to get the XR1000s set up. I did a light port match on the headers and the hot housing for optimal flow. Both the header outlet and hot housing inlet are 48mm which closely matches the ID of the header primaries. Using the trusty Mityvac, I set the wastegates to start cracking at 7.5psi and fully open at 14psi. This is what I used on the XR980s and should be a good starting point on the larger 1000s. Plan is to get them hung on the engine this weekend....

The following 6 users liked this post by powdrhound:
Darkstar1 (03-28-2023), diverdog (01-08-2022), kalyan (01-10-2022), LinwoodM (01-09-2022), moburki (01-07-2022), zbomb (01-09-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-07-2022, 01:51 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,878 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Wow...

That is all.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:03 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

+1, wow.

Those look very good.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:21 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,558 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Nice.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:29 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Nice.
Or, dare I say, sexy...?
Old 01-07-2022, 09:07 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Stopped by the paint shop today to take a peek at the car and it's coming along with the first coat of paint on the interior done with 3 more to go. 996Cup doors were taken down to bare carbon and getting fully refinished and painted to match. It's all coming along nicely...

While there, was given a little show and tell and got to poke around a serious piece of Porsche history getting restored. This is one amazing machine, 1 of 12 in the world. Absolutely stunning in person and about 2 weeks from completion. Pictures do not do it justice. This truly is a sexy car...

What a face!!

Those hips!

Those shoulders!

What an ***!

Now that's a center lock!

Not much protection back in those days!

Love the 10K rpm tach!
The following 8 users liked this post by powdrhound:
501Max (01-10-2022), Carlo_Carrera (01-07-2022), Darkstar1 (03-28-2023), diverdog (01-08-2022), kalyan (01-10-2022), SCraigB (02-21-2022), TheDeckMan (01-09-2022), zbomb (01-09-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-07-2022, 09:17 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sexy, in this case (and I love sexy...), Is an understatement.

That is fan fvcking tastic!

One of twelve, of what?

Quick Reply: 996CTSR race build....