So this happened...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 02:42 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,137 Likes on 3,130 Posts
Default So this happened...

In a completely random manner, I started the turbo this AM and immediately got a p300, p306, p309 code (random misfire, #1 and #3 misfire) as the car was warming up.

I reset the codes, restated the car and no issue as it warmed up. Recently, I swapped out all the coils and put in one step cooler plugs to accommodate the Cobb tune.

Sometime ago, I was informed that my throttle body was most likely bunged up with crud and this is most likely the reason I was seeing a little hesitation with throttle application; although not yet installed, I have a new TB and an IPD plenum. Occasionally, I am getting one, or both banks (cats) inefficient code. I attribute that to the TPS being in a different position than the butterfly on the TB, and/or the TB not being open enough to provide the required airflow to the amount of fuel in the engine, making it run rich.

My question is - are the two problems related, or should I be looking at something else?

Once the car is warm, these issues seem to disappear, however I am not yet fully up to speed on how all the parts are programmed to run together; in the old days, I'd pull the plugs, clean them, re-gap them, check the wires for cracks and look at the distributor for wear... Times have changed.

Cheers,
Old 10-24-2019, 03:15 PM
pancing
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts

Do you have the stock airbox?
Old 10-24-2019, 03:27 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I do. I also have the Speedtech 3.0"(ceramic coated), 100dpi cats - I can see soot on the tailpipes, and I cannot really wring it out in the city, so most of my driving is low load.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:45 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

The cats inefficient code is your exhaust and cats. quite common on aftermarket exhausts. i had the same thing with my Kline and the 200 cell cats.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:51 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
The cats inefficient code is your exhaust and cats. quite common on aftermarket exhausts. i had the same thing with my Kline and the 200 cell cats.
So my current motus operandi when starting cold is to start it, and hold it at 2k rpm to get some heat into the cats...

Were you doing something similar, or just resetting every time it threw a code?
Old 10-24-2019, 05:22 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Where is your fuel level?

Have you checked for intake leaks?

Have you replaced your wideband O2's in the last 10 years?
Old 10-24-2019, 06:57 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin

Fuel, full. All new sensors when I put the exhaust on, boosting 1.2 solid.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:25 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

The normal inefficient cat code throws during cruse on the freeway, not typically at start up. At least for me. I would get it a bout once a month or so and just reset it. then i had my tunner code it out as part of a "Msport tune"
Old 10-24-2019, 07:25 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

So did I, with the 200 cell cats that shipped with my Kline back in 2015. i recently installed Kline's newer HJS 200cell cats and lo and behold, no more cat inefficiency error messages!
Old 10-24-2019, 08:03 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Road King
So did I, with the 200 cell cats that shipped with my Kline back in 2015. i recently installed Kline's newer HJS 200cell cats and lo and behold, no more cat inefficiency error messages!
So, is there a fundamental difference between 100 and 200 cell cats other than flow?
Old 10-24-2019, 08:06 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The normal inefficient cat code throws during cruse on the freeway, not typically at start up. At least for me. I would get it a bout once a month or so and just reset it. then i had my tunner code it out as part of a "Msport tune"
I actually have had the same problem at cruise 60/70mph; that was the first time when I thought the differential timing between the throttle opening and fuel being delivered was in fact out of sync, ie, it would run momentarily rich prior to air being available to burn.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:31 PM
napoleon1981
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
In a completely random manner, I started the turbo this AM and immediately got a p300, p306, p309 code (random misfire, #1 and #3 misfire) as the car was warming up.

I reset the codes, restated the car and no issue as it warmed up. Recently, I swapped out all the coils and put in one step cooler plugs to accommodate the Cobb tune.

Sometime ago, I was informed that my throttle body was most likely bunged up with crud and this is most likely the reason I was seeing a little hesitation with throttle application; although not yet installed, I have a new TB and an IPD plenum. Occasionally, I am getting one, or both banks (cats) inefficient code. I attribute that to the TPS being in a different position than the butterfly on the TB, and/or the TB not being open enough to provide the required airflow to the amount of fuel in the engine, making it run rich.

I have never gotten the cat codes, so they are not necessarily related.
Btw, I never have gotten the cat codes. So they are not necessarily related

My question is - are the two problems related, or should I be looking at something else?

Once the car is warm, these issues seem to disappear, however I am not yet fully up to speed on how all the parts are programmed to run together; in the old days, I'd pull the plugs, clean them, re-gap them, check the wires for cracks and look at the distributor for wear... Times have changed.

Cheers,
All year I'm fighting the exact same issue as you.

If I let the car from a cold start idle, i get misfires. I can monitor them with the durametric. Sometimes enough to trigger a codes P300, p303 and P306 (random misfires, cylinder 3 and 6). I can see some misfires on other too, but never enough to trigger a code. Once the car runs for a minute or so, and the choke comes off, all misfiring is over. Its like an on off switch. If i start the car with the MAF unplugged, it never misfires. I changed plugs and coils, no change. I changed the MAF, no change. I boost tested the intake, tight. I smoke tested the low pressure side, no leaks. I'm currently at a loss. So let me know if you find it. Mine is a stock X50 with 50k miles.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:36 PM
napoleon1981
Racer

Forgot to note, I have never seen the cat code, or other codes. So they are not necessarily related.

Btw Macster had it too, I do not know if it was ever resolved (post 8).

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...when-cold.html

Last edited by napoleon1981; 10-24-2019 at 10:42 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 10-24-2019, 10:52 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by napoleon1981
All year I'm fighting the exact same issue as you.

If I let the car from a cold start idle, i get misfires. I can monitor them with the durametric. Sometimes enough to trigger a codes P300, p303 and P306 (random misfires, cylinder 3 and 6). I can see some misfires on other too, but never enough to trigger a code. Once the car runs for a minute or so, and the choke comes off, all misfiring is over. Its like an on off switch. If i start the car with the MAF unplugged, it never misfires. I changed plugs and coils, no change. I changed the MAF, no change. I boost tested the intake, tight. I smoke tested the low pressure side, no leaks. I'm currently at a loss. So let me know if you find it. Mine is a stock X50 with 50k miles.
Funny, mine is a X50 too, but tuned with a Cobb.

Makes me think there something in the base programming, as I know the Cobb doesn't impact the entire ecu.

Now, there are two of us with the same problem...
Old 10-24-2019, 11:16 PM
napoleon1981
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin

Are the widebands used for mixture adjustment during cold startup?

Quick Reply: So this happened...