Sponsored by:

So this happened...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 09:51 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,191 Likes on 3,170 Posts

I forgot to add when I also have all new O2 sensors.

I'll try and get some data in the next couple of days.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:30 PM
napoleon1981
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
napolean Your RKAT is negative so you are running rich
You say you changed your MAF>> Aftermarket or genuine Bosch?
Have you changed your wideband O2 sensors? They control your fueling and set the tone for closed loop operation when running thru the MAF
Do you have a stock intake >>when pulling the lower boost hose from turbo to IC on the drivers side is there any oil present?
Everything is stock. I have seen an oily residue on turbo to IC, but nothing like drops of oil or blue smoke on startup.

MAF is genuine Bosch. Original and replacement give the same issues.

I haven't changed the wideband O2s, but my misfire problems are on open loop.

Anyway am I running way to rich? It is less than 1%, I figured that is within normal range?
Old 10-29-2019, 03:33 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,191 Likes on 3,170 Posts

Originally Posted by napoleon1981
Everything is stock. I have seen an oily residue on turbo to IC, but nothing like drops of oil or blue smoke on startup.

MAF is genuine Bosch. Original and replacement give the same issues.

I haven't changed the wideband O2s, but my misfire problems are on open loop.

Anyway am I running way to rich? It is less than 1%, I figured that is within normal range?
I too would like to understand this; Kevin?
Old 10-30-2019, 07:44 PM
napoleon1981
Racer

Fuel pressure 54 psi during idle. Looks normal
Old 10-30-2019, 07:48 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,656 Posts

Does the diagnostic let you see the volume of each individual injector?
Old 10-30-2019, 09:04 PM
napoleon1981
Racer

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Does the diagnostic let you see the volume of each individual injector?
No. It only lets you turn injectors on and off.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:33 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No. It only lets you turn injectors on and off.
That is disappointing.

The OBD2 system design was supposed to eliminate these sort of mysteries.

You have eliminate an ingniton problem. If it was throttle body I would think there would be random misfires on all cylinders, not just the same two or three.

What are you thinking of doing next? For me it is pointing to some sort of injector issue on cold start or another possibility is that some engine oil or coolant is making its way into those cylinders as the engine cools, a head gasket leak. Have you done compression/leak down test?
Old 10-30-2019, 10:46 PM
napoleon1981
Racer

That is disappointing.

The OBD2 system design was supposed to eliminate these sort of mysteries.

You have eliminate an ingniton problem. If it was throttle body I would think there would be random misfires on all cylinders, not just the same two or three.

What are you thinking of doing next? For me it is pointing to some sort of injector issue on cold start or another possibility is that some engine oil or coolant is making its way into those cylinders as the engine cools, a head gasket leak. Have you done compression/leak down test?
To be honest im at a loss.

- Headgasket has crossed my mind. But again why would the two of them fail at the same time? The car has not been in range 2 over rev range. I have 10 range 2s which happened apparently 700h ago (way before my time).
- Injectors, again why would 2 go bad at once? I would not be opposed to swapping some around, but I have heard that you virtually have to drop the engine to do so...….also if I unplug the MAF and start the car, I never see any misfires. (this points to me to a mapping/wrong mixture)
- Ignition: Coils and plugs have been eliminated by swapping stuff around and both are now. As a desperation move, I could reinstall the original coils (which worked fine when I removed them) and try a different brand plug. However the Bosch FR6 LDC is a tried and proven plug.
- A leak down and compression test would be something useful to do to eliminate a mechanical issue, but im not sure I have one.

I cleaned the throttle body. It was somewhat dirty, I was hopeful that was it, but that didn't resolve anything either.

Maybe I just need to try the original coils with some different brand plugs...……...
Old 10-30-2019, 10:55 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

To be honest im at a loss.

- Headgasket has crossed my mind. But again why would the two of them fail at the same time? The car has not been in range 2 over rev range. I have 10 range 2s which happened apparently 700h ago (way before my time).
- Injectors, again why would 2 go bad at once? I would not be opposed to swapping some around, but I have heard that you virtually have to drop the engine to do so...….also if I unplug the MAF and start the car, I never see any misfires. (this points to me to a mapping/wrong mixture)
- Ignition: Coils and plugs have been eliminated by swapping stuff around and both are now. As a desperation move, I could reinstall the original coils (which worked fine when I removed them) and try a different brand plug. However the Bosch FR6 LDC is a tried and proven plug.
- A leak down and compression test would be something useful to do to eliminate a mechanical issue, but im not sure I have one.

I cleaned the throttle body. It was somewhat dirty, I was hopeful that was it, but that didn't resolve anything either.

Maybe I just need to try the original coils with some different brand plugs...……...
Did the problems start right after the coils and plugs were changed? If not, was any work done and then the problems started?
Old 10-30-2019, 11:45 PM
napoleon1981
Racer

Did the problems start right after the coils and plugs were changed? If not, was any work done and then the problems started?
Nope, it started this year after winter hybernation. Coils and plugs were changed 2 years 2k miles before problems started (OEM 997 coils).
Old 10-31-2019, 09:05 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 890 Likes on 603 Posts

You say the problem goes away with MAF unplugged. Have you cleaned it or replaced it? These are usually simply issues. Def not head gaskets.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:01 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I agree with s65e90 try swapping the MAF again. Preferably with one from another car that is functioning correctly.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:39 AM
napoleon1981
Racer

I agree with s65e90 try swapping the MAF again. Preferably with one from another car that is functioning correctly.
The circle is round again

MAF was replaced with a brand new bosch unit,. same porsche numbers. Issues remain. Read outs look good on the MAF as well

The MAF often times gets blamed falsely due to the "unplug" experiment. Unplugging the MAF forces the ECU to go in a emergency predefined engine map, ignoring many sensors. MAF has been ruled out, and not to be snarky, it has been discussed 3x before in this topic.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:54 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 890 Likes on 603 Posts

You're not being snarky, it's hard to digest 4 pages. We could offer less advice?

In any event, what made the change to the colder plugs? Did you really need em? Why are you treating the car like it's got a carburetor when starting it? No need to hit the gas, and certainly no need to keep it at 2k to get heat in the cats. Did you ever reset the TB adaptation and clean it? Also puff of smoke at startup is normal as the engine is sideways.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:05 AM
napoleon1981
Racer

Originally Posted by s65e90
You're not being snarky, it's hard to digest 4 pages. We could offer less advice?.
It a complicated matter and lots has been tried. I think the silver bullet will come from somebody who is able to put it all together (I.e. digests the 4 pages) before responding. The one liner suggestions have all been tried and results have been summarized.

Originally Posted by s65e90
In any event, what made the change to the colder plugs? Did you really need em? Why are you treating the car like it's got a carburetor when starting it? No need to hit the gas, and certainly no need to keep it at 2k to get heat in the cats. Did you ever reset the TB adaptation and clean it? Also puff of smoke at startup is normal as the engine is sideways.
This was not me. But the 2k experiment was done to show that the misfire codes only show up during cold startup idle, not if you give the engine some throttle.

The plugs are OEM replacements from Porsche according to the dealer catalog.

Quick Reply: So this happened...