Advise on Paint work

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 04:56 PM
LuigiPetrone
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
The age old question.

Bumper yes, no problem. Painting bumpers seems to be accepted and expected.

It's possible, especially if you have metallic paint, that you can't just paint the front hood without blending it over into the fender. Otherwise the repaint could be obvious.

A few rock chips I would live with.
that's the problem... everything else on the car is in fantastic shape. i would not want to blend on fenders that are perfect just to paint the hood... but the hood is getting pretty chipped up...
Old 04-03-2019, 05:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
Yes. Most, if not all vehicles today, are refinished with color/clear.
I know that most, but not all, automobiles are painted using the color/clear process. I just wanted to clarify which process you were referring to.

How much time do automobile painters allow the color coat(s) to cure before applying the clear coat?
Old 04-03-2019, 05:13 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I know that most, but not all, automobiles are painted using the color/clear process. I just wanted to clarify which process you were referring to.

How much time do automobile painters allow the color coat(s) to cure before applying the clear coat?
Not long at all. Maybe 20-30 min depending on the manufacturer.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s65e90
Not long at all. Maybe 20-30 min depending on the manufacturer.
So the clear paint needs to cure but the color paint doesn't.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,600 Posts

So the clear paint needs to cure but the color paint doesn't.
It is best for the clear coat and the base coat to bond and cure together. Thus no need for the base to "cure", this makes for a lasting solid paint finishing and is in no way similar to the process of applying a clear bra type protective.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:37 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
It is best for the clear coat and the base coat to bond and cure together.
So the base color coat(s) doesn't off-gas?
Old 04-03-2019, 06:01 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiPetrone
that's the problem... everything else on the car is in fantastic shape. i would not want to blend on fenders that are perfect just to paint the hood... but the hood is getting pretty chipped up...
Then I definitely would not blend the hood into the perfect paint of your fenders. It would be paint the hood alone or live with the rock chips. Maybe have them shoot a couple sample pieces so you can see how close they can get; especially important if you have metallic paint because metallic flake size and even the direction in which the flakes lie can affect how the paint looks.

I can tell you that I had my hood resprayed to eliminate rock chips on my metallic color 79SC back in the late 80's, and they got extremely close; but I can tell the difference. I did not blend into the fenders. Others only notice when I point it out to them. If you can get it to the point that only you can tell the difference, I would say you are there. But you'll have to be prepared to accept a slight difference yourself. If you're not ready to do that you'll have to live with the rock chips. Not many options.
The following users liked this post:
wpw3 (08-13-2022)
Old 04-03-2019, 06:40 PM
LuigiPetrone
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Then I definitely would not blend the hood into the perfect paint of your fenders. It would be paint the hood alone or live with the rock chips. Maybe have them shoot a couple sample pieces so you can see how close they can get; especially important if you have metallic paint because metallic flake size and even the direction in which the flakes lie can affect how the paint looks.

I can tell you that I had my hood resprayed to eliminate rock chips on my metallic color 79SC back in the late 80's, and they got extremely close; but I can tell the difference. I did not blend into the fenders. Others only notice when I point it out to them. If you can get it to the point that only you can tell the difference, I would say you are there. But you'll have to be prepared to accept a slight difference yourself. If you're not ready to do that you'll have to live with the rock chips. Not many options.
would it be an easier job if my paint was not metallic? I don't believe mine is....
Old 04-03-2019, 06:42 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So the base color coat(s) doesn't off-gas?
It off-gases with/through the clear coat. The clear coat layer is much thinner and permeable at the molecular off-gas level. It is almost like osmosis.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It off-gases with/through the clear coat. The clear coat layer is much thinner and permeable at the molecular off-gas level. It is almost like osmosis.
So which is more permeable, the clear or a coat of wax?
Old 04-03-2019, 06:53 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So which is more permeable, the clear or a coat of wax?
Depends on what state of cure the clear coat has achieved and which wax is used and the process by which the wax is applied and cured.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:08 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Depends on what state of cure the clear coat has achieved and which wax is used and the process by which the wax is applied and cured.
So there should be a point in time where the clear coat is less permeable than a coat of carnauba wax. At that point there wouldn't be any off gassing of the color coat through a coat of wax. That might well be before 30 days post painting. In fact the clear coat may be finished off gassing before 30 days.

Here's a quote from the interesting article linked below:

"Many paint company now say the 30-90 day recommendations are based on old paint formulations and the p-Sheets need to be up-dated in line with the latest paint specifications, although to my knowledge this has not been done. Most paints can have a paint protection product (wax / sealant/coating) applied within 36 – 48 hours of painting."

http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/2015/0...ars-paint.html
Old 04-03-2019, 07:47 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So there should be a point in time where the clear coat is less permeable than a coat of carnauba wax. At that point there wouldn't be any off gassing of the color coat through a coat of wax. That might well be before 30 days post painting. In fact the clear coat may be finished off gassing before 30 days.

Here's a quote from the interesting article linked below:

"Many paint company now say the 30-90 day recommendations are based on old paint formulations and the p-Sheets need to be up-dated in line with the latest paint specifications, although to my knowledge this has not been done. Most paints can have (wax / sealant/coating) applied within 36 – 48 hours of painting."

http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/2015/0...ars-paint.html
The key word there is, "can", as in "Most paints can have...". Just because they "can", doesn't mean they "should". And who is the author of this article anyway? Why should anyone care what he thinks? I could quote dozens of top flight restorers who have painted multi-million dollar cars and they will tell you this guy knows nothing.

Which gets back to my earlier statement. It all depends on the cure time of the paint and the type and application of the wax.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:13 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextjato
I am thinking of having my 87 911 Carrera repainted and then having paint protection film (PPF), aka "clear bra" applied. On a fresh paint job is there any issues with applying PPF? Does the paint have a period it needs to cure before you can apply PPF?
according to xpel, you can apply after being painted because the gases are still able to escape from the paint with it on. The new ppf stuff is insane!
Old 04-03-2019, 08:17 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The key word there is, "can", as in "Most paints can have...". Just because they "can", doesn't mean they "should".

"Can" would in this case mean wax can be applied without negatively affecting the paint.

And who is the author of this article anyway? Why should anyone care what he thinks?

Because he may be right.

It has taken a long time to get people not to change their oil every 3000 miles. The same may be true regarding convincing people not to wait 30 days (or longer) to wax their new paint.

Quick Reply: Advise on Paint work