Advise on Paint work

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:36 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock

"Can" would in this case mean wax can be applied without negatively affecting the paint.

Because he may be right.

It has taken a long time to get people not to change their oil every 3000 miles. The same may be true regarding convincing people not to wait 30 days (or longer) to wax their new paint.
I will ask again, who is this author and why should anyone care about him?

If I have any paint questions I contact John Paterak, http://paterekbrothersinc.com

He has had about a billion dollars worth of Porsches pass through his body and paint shop over the past fifty years. Credentials that mean something.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:38 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 591 Posts

So there should be a point in time where the clear coat is less permeable than a coat of carnauba wax. At that point there wouldn't be any off gassing of the color coat through a coat of wax. That might well be before 30 days post painting. In fact the clear coat may be finished off gassing before 30 days.

Here's a quote from the interesting article linked below:

"Many paint company now say the 30-90 day recommendations are based on old paint formulations and the p-Sheets need to be up-dated in line with the latest paint specifications, although to my knowledge this has not been done. Most paints can have a paint protection product (wax / sealant/coating) applied within 36 – 48 hours of painting."

http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/2015/0...ars-paint.html

I read through and it still states follow the manufacturer guidelines and this may require 30-90 days. Shops will polish paint w/in 24 hrs. That's fine. You can also apply a glaze right away. You just don't want to seal in the paint while it's curing. Anything placed on soft paint can/will cause damage. It's also dependent on the way the clear is mixed/sprayed. My post above covered this. If you can smell the paint, it's still curing and leave it alone.
Today, I'm sure there's many companies pushing faster times as it's geared more to production based environments. Having been around the industry for some time, I'd defer directly to the paint company or refinisher, but again, a good rule of thumb is waiting 30 days.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:42 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
...who is this author and why should anyone care about him?
Well, I would have thought you were capable of reading about him yourself; his information is on the "Home" page. But I'll help you out a bit and pull a quote from there...

"With a background in the physical and chemical sciences earned a Ph.D. (Professional doctorate) and Master's degrees in Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology from Imperial College London and graduated from an MBA program with an MSc Business Administration and Strategy from the London School of Economics. He also attended Royal Air Force College (RAFC) Cranwell, graduating with the rank of Flight Lieutenant and also holds a Bachelor's of Science degrees in Architecture and Building Services from London University, England. With more than four decades in polymer R&D and the chemical and performance coatings industry for both the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) utilizing polymer technologies."

I'd say he has the education and experience to be listened to.

And remember Carlo, change your oil every 3,000 miles...
Old 04-03-2019, 09:46 PM
s65e90
Race Car

So there should be a point in time where the clear coat is less permeable than a coat of carnauba wax. At that point there wouldn't be any off gassing of the color coat through a coat of wax. That might well be before 30 days post painting. In fact the clear coat may be finished off gassing before 30 days.

Here's a quote from the interesting article linked below:

"Many paint company now say the 30-90 day recommendations are based on old paint formulations and the p-Sheets need to be up-dated in line with the latest paint specifications, although to my knowledge this has not been done. Most paints can have a paint protection product (wax / sealant/coating) applied within 36 – 48 hours of painting."

http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/2015/0...ars-paint.html

"
Newly applied paint is soft, much softer than OEM paint, dehydration (drying) is a different process from cross-linking; while newly refinished paint is about 90% cured within 24 hours, even with the help of a drying oven and various additives, and will fully harden (dehydrate) after 60-90 days dependent upon local environmental conditionsThat distinctive smell of paint is actually dibutyl and diethyl phthalate out-gassing- two very volatile compoundsNew paint needs to outgas for approximately 90 days (i.e. the solvents need to evaporate) if this is hindered by an inappropriate product application the clear coat may form a 'hard film' on top and the clear coat matrix may remain 'soft'. Most product data sheets (P-Sheet) state paint will air dry in 12 hours to buff and take 16 hours to fully dry."

Emphasis mine.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s65e90
I read through and it still states follow the manufacturer guidelines and this may require 30-90 days.
More of a legal "out" IMO.

He clearly states that wax can safely (in terms of the health of the paint) be applied far sooner than 30 days. Makes sense to me too.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:49 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiPetrone
would it be an easier job if my paint was not metallic? I don't believe mine is....
l think so. Confirm with a reputable body shop. I won’t pretend to be an expert on this. If metallic material size and shape is eliminated from consideration then they only have to worry about the shade. But that is just my gut feel; no basis as I’ve never painted a single car myself.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:51 PM
s65e90
Race Car

More of a legal "out" IMO.

He clearly states that wax can safely (in terms of the health of the paint) be applied far sooner than 30 days. Makes sense to me too.

Do as you wish. I've been in/around shops for a long enough time to think otherwise. Soft paint is too easy to damage when applying product.. He states himself defer to the paint manufacturer and as I quoted above it states cure time as 60-90 days. My first post is still the most accurate for gauging when you should apply waxes/sealants. If you can still smell it, it's still curing. It's not worth the chance of issue, just wait.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:39 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well, I would have thought you were capable of reading about him yourself; his information is on the "Home" page. But I'll help you out a bit and pull a quote from there...

"With a background in the physical and chemical sciences earned a Ph.D. (Professional doctorate) and Master's degrees in Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology from Imperial College London and graduated from an MBA program with an MSc Business Administration and Strategy from the London School of Economics. He also attended Royal Air Force College (RAFC) Cranwell, graduating with the rank of Flight Lieutenant and also holds a Bachelor's of Science degrees in Architecture and Building Services from London University, England. With more than four decades in polymer R&D and the chemical and performance coatings industry for both the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) utilizing polymer technologies."

I'd say he has the education and experience to be listened to.

And remember Carlo, change your oil every 3,000 miles...
Is he as experienced/qualified or hands on as John Paterak, no, so who cares what he says.

Nobody cares about oil changes either.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:43 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Is he as experienced/qualified or hands on as John Paterak, no, so who cares what he says.

Nobody cares about oil changes either.
I'll go with the PhD in chemistry.

The oil change point is about how some things die hard.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:53 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

When do think the PhD guy painted and polished/waxed a car? I am thinking never. I will stick Paterek.

Oil changes have no bearing on any of this.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:01 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

When do think the PhD guy painted and polished/waxed a car? I am thinking never. I will stick Paterek.

Oil changes have no bearing on any of this.
Read his bio...you'll find out (hint: he has 50 years experience in detailng). Seriously, read his bio before you attempt to disparage him again.

Oil changes are very germane to this topic.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:03 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you can't figure out how to read his bio at that site I linked to I'll be glad to copy and paste it here for you.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:04 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Read his bio...you'll find out (hint: he has 50 years experience in detailng). Seriously, read his bio before you attempt to disparage him again.

Oil changes are very germane to this topic.
When did he paint a car? Never. He is pointless, as are oil changes.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:04 PM
s65e90
Race Car

One can easily search for dissenting opinions on the internet. Why do you search for things that discount what you read here? What about the qualifications of the people here? Carlo is right, this guy has some education, but how much real life painting experience? There's a lot of variables you discount, hence the wait approach to applying products to new finishes. Climate, temp, mixing ratio in the gun, etc. Why are you such a skeptic? There's more out there agreeing with the wait approach than of the school of thought that says wax right away. I literally just took my car from the shop last week and was advised the same from a guy who paints cars for a living. I have been taught the same all my life. I'll go with what the schooling taught me. You can read articles online. Again, defer to your own nose. You can smell the paint curing. If it still stinks, wait.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:09 PM
s65e90
Race Car

When did he paint a car? Never. He is pointless, as are oil changes.
He's a trip. Let him trust the 50 year detailer from the internet.

Quick Reply: Advise on Paint work