Sponsored by:

Daytona Track Day Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 06:16 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 331 Posts
Default Daytona Track Day Video

I had always wanted to do this and I finally had the opportunity this past Monday (the day after the Pro race). Upshifting through the gears from 3rd to 6th while going through the banked turns is initially quite unnerving, but after a few laps you get somewhat used to it, and the sensation in 6th gear while coming out of Nascar Turns 2 and 4 is incredible. You are being pushed mostly straight down with not that much lateral load and it is intense. I have 6 point belts in my car and the shoulder belts felt a little loose coming through the banking, but still very tight pretty much everywhere else. Wild.

My line was not very consistent through Turn 1 and I never really got comfortable with where the true braking point was coming off the tri-oval and into Turn 1 as I was doing over 165 mph at that point and there really weren't any dedicated markers that I was able to pick up on. Additionally, I was pretty conservative coming through the Kink in the infield, so I know there is definitely time to be made up in my lap. Maybe next time...

Also, just a recommendation if any of you ever decide to go there: I was advised to adjust my alignment ahead of going so that the car could handle the banking better and not overheat the right side tires (especially the right rear). I ended up taking about a degree of negative camber OUT of the RIGHT side of the car and running about 3psi higher tire pressure on the RIGHT side of the car. My typical setup for road courses (like Sebring) is -2.6 in the front and -2.4 in the rear. YMMV but be careful if you do decide to go there.

I hope you all enjoy the video!

Old 02-01-2019, 03:10 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Very cool vid, thanks for the ride!
The road track is an interesting combo of hi and low speed corners, impressive when you see the speed differences in person.
Had you been there before?
Old 02-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Hi Mark, glad you enjoyed the video. I have been to the Rolex 24 many times and I did some touring laps during Rennsport Reunion back in 2007, but this was my first time actually driving on the track at speed up on the banking. It was fun for sure.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:53 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,186 Likes on 3,165 Posts

So very, very cool - I would very much like to try that.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:06 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 181 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Looks like scary fun. What kind of speeds are you hitting on the oval? Is it flat out past the bus stop?
Old 02-04-2019, 03:35 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

From the exit of the bus stop I was flat out from there all the way to the braking point for Turn 1 (going down into the infield). Leaving the bus stop I was going about 85 MPH and just past the start finish line I was doing about 167 MPH (I tried not to focus too much on the instrument cluster at that speed). The real weird part is how the compression makes you sink down into the car as you build speed up on the banking and the fact that you can't see very far behind you because of the angle of the rear view mirror and the roof line block how far back you can see pretty quickly. Other than that, it's a pretty straightforward track and I'm pretty confident that with a bit more time I'd have been a good bit quicker in the infield. Definitely worth doing if you are interested, but be careful with suspension settings and tire pressures!
Old 02-04-2019, 04:00 PM
Nifty911
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job. It gives you a perspective between the race cars and street cars. I've seen perhaps every in-car camera view around Daytona and nothing changes. I ran around Sebring years ago but didn't have the guts to really push. I wanted to be able to get back home. Still, for what little I did, it was a blast.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:51 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Hi Mark, glad you enjoyed the video. I have been to the Rolex 24 many times and I did some touring laps during Rennsport Reunion back in 2007, but this was my first time actually driving on the track at speed up on the banking. It was fun for sure.
Nice driving, especially for a first run there. Going into that infield at speed looks like you better not miss your line! I went to the 2016 Rolex 24 event and it's great to watch with the ability to be close to the action, night time braking discs, and an entertaining mix of people and displays. Would be great to do from the drivers seat someday.

Quick Reply: Daytona Track Day Video