Sponsored by:

How to safely hit top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 02:57 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
This sounds like a really bad idea. Just because your TT is capable of near 190+ speeds doesn't mean you should risk doing it. At those kind of speeds bad things happen. BTW, your in the wrong forum.
"you're"
Old 11-28-2017, 02:59 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
"you're"
*I'm
Old 11-28-2017, 03:49 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Btw I believe this is what the OP is talking about. It's not an airport runway!

https://visitsunvalley.com/things-to...ley-road-rally
Old 11-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Ryan_G
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32

"Drivers will hurl themselves down the highway in search of their cars’ top speeds, past cheering spectators,"

What is this Group B rally? We know how that ended and those were world class professional drivers in factory prepped cars and not amateurs in street cars.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:21 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan_G
What is this Group B rally? We know how that ended and those were world-class professional drivers in factory prepped cars and not amateurs in street cars.
Comparing competitive rally racing to a closed course recreational drive seems like hyperbole.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:29 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

What's your experience at speed in the 996tt?
You need all the safety, alignment and experience available to you before going for it.
Or, just go for it, YOLO
Old 11-28-2017, 05:49 PM
Ryan_G
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Comparing competitive rally racing to a closed course recreational drive seems like hyperbole.
It's obviously hyperbole. I doubt the people are standing directly in his path and stepping out of the way at the last second like they were in group B. I was just making a point. This is a public highway that is being closed down for event use. That means the surface will likely not be designed or maintained with top speed runs in mind and there may be objects or people to smash into if a mistake is made or if there is a mechanical failure. I just want to make it clear that there is significant danger involved. Being safe and mitigating risk is about preparing for the unexpected. You don't plan as if everything is going to go perfectly. You plan for what happens when it goes sideways in a hurry and mitigate the risk to a level at which you are comfortable. Maybe he is comfortable with mat the pedal and let Jesus take the wheel but he does need to know the real risks before he makes that call.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:37 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I can't speak for the Turbo, but in the 40th, getting to 100 happens in the blink of an eye, 120 likewise, even 140 happens pretty quickly. Beyond that in the NA car takes some doing. I've been up to an indicated 165 a few times (NCCAR counter-clockwise lets you enter the long straight around 100mph) and honestly as long as you remain calm and smooth (and on throttle) it wasn't much of an issue. When it comes time to slow down, breathe off the throttle, don't just quickly lift. My car didn't have any special prep other than better brake pads and fluid. As mentioned before, be sure the tires are rated for the speed, pressures are good, the undertrays are properly fastened, and you have a seat/hans/roll protection.

I think it would take a *LOT* of space to get in the 175-185 range in the NA car. Surely it happens much faster in the turbo.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tt350
Looking to get involved in the Sun Valley event in either 18 or 19 which means i'll get an opportunity to possibly get up to top speed. I get my 02 TT service at the Dealer and they do their normal checks. Tires are 1 year old, 2k miles on them, brakes still check good. I got it aligned last year as well when I did the new tires.

I bought it used a year ago and mods (from receipts) are: K24 turbos, EVOMS intake, unknown brand headers, unknown brand exhaust, AWE tune. Have not dynoed, but looks like I'm making 550ish horsepower based on tune packages I saw from AWE. I think I have the horsepower to do it.

Anyone have a checksheet of things to look at before trying to hit top speed?
Hit some big MPH in my 2003 Turbo. I keep the car in tip top shape, run N-rated tires, 5K mile oil changes, alignment good with even tread wear at both ends. The car had zero issues.

Hit the big MPH on the return leg of a 4K mile road trip.

The car felt really good. It was very clear the car is designed for high speed driving. The driver not so much. The scenery goes by at a fearsome clip.

I'm out of practice and didn't watch the speedo but instead focused on the road, a long ways down the road. At <static> one is traveling at (way) over 200 feet per second and even a quarter mile down the road is just seconds away.

This high speed run is really no different than a visit to the race track.

My checklist would be do a walk around the car. Check tire pressures. Be sure tire pressures are correct for the speed and load. Find a low tire? The tire probably has something in it. Scratch the run.

Be sure there is plenty of fuel in the fuel tank. Of course the fuel should be fresh and the proper grade of octane. Under hard acceleration and at high speed/loads the engine sucks fuel like there is no tomorrow. At high speed just running out of fuel with a resultant loss of power at speed could upset you and you upset the car.

Be sure the engine oil level is good. I'd be sure it was right at the max line. The oil should be fresh too. (The oil in my Turbo's engine had around 3K miles on it but it had accumulated those miles in just a few days driving since the oil/filter service. I have changed the oil after a 5K mile road trip and the oil comes out translucent and with a hint of amber to it. What you don't want to do is a high speed run with oil that has spent the last 6 months getting all sludgy from coffee and cars sessions at the local donut shop.)

Do not have anything loose in the cabin. Check under the seats. You do not want any distractions. You certainly don't want a water bottle or something getting under your feet, under the brake pedal.

Turn off the A/C. Under hard acceleration/high load the DME will deactivate this anyhow and the sudden change from cold to warm/damp air can be unnerving.

Be sure the road ahead is clear. Be aware a stray pet or wildlife can appear at any time. Be mentally prepared for this. Swerve at 60mph and you can be off the road before you know. Swerve at double that or more speed and you can be dead before you know it. (Nevada state troopers I've talked too tell me they make the occasional call to an accident scene in which a driver swerved to avoid a rabbit. Sometimes the driver paid a big price and still ended up killing the bunny...)

Be sure the radio/CD player is off. Turn off your cell phone. No selfies. No pics of the speedo. The only way I knew what top speed I hit was after the run and I called up the max. speed from the navigation unit. I took a pic of this.

After the run be sure you give the engine enough run time to shed the big and I mean big heat load. Let the engine idle more than the 2 minutes the manual calls for.

Be very aware of how much road you have and know and note where you have to lift off and begin to brake to give yourself plenty of time to remove speed without having to resort to an emergency braking action.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:40 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Make sure to document it with video.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:24 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts
Default It is pretty close to an airport runway

Originally Posted by wildbilly32

Old 11-30-2017, 11:28 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send it?
Old 12-01-2017, 12:12 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Make sure alignment is dialed in, always keep an eye on tire condition, if on coilovers try to keep some rake in the chassis to help aero
GT2 aero is light-years better up top...
If you have some proper space and a raised rev limiter, welcome to the 200 club
Old 12-01-2017, 01:59 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

In addition to much of the above, tire pressure.

Checked cold, and after preliminary runs to lower high speeds. And again. And again. With a gauge you'll bet your life on.

And some driver training? If your car starts to oscillate, do you know what to do? If it starts to spin, do you know what to do? If you are going sideways or backwards at 150+ do you know what to do?

If you have ANY aftermarket suspension or aero mods on the car, you better make sure they are set up perfectly, even more so than just making sure a stock car has a spot-on high speed alignment.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:14 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

Tire condition check, tire pressure check....When I do my fast run I always do several runs at lower speed to get the feel of the car. And I increase this speed slowly until I reach top speed of the day. Wind speed and direction is also a factor but my slower runs will determine if it is safe to go faster....Having the feel of the car is really important.....

Quick Reply: How to safely hit top speed?