Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie-Advice needed asap on 2004 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:30 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Thoughts on this car??? Price, condition, mods, etc??

Closer than the OR car but not X50... Nice though.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911
Old 08-10-2017, 09:44 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

FYi, 'S' was only in 2005, and all 2005 are S. It was the final gasp for 996TT's as the 911 model line rolled over to 997. It really was just an options bundle including X50 and PCCB's, plus a bold new letter on the rear badge.

PCCB brakes are absurdly expensive to replace the rotors on. So expensive that almost everyone just converts them to steel rotors and matching pads instead (~$22k+ just for four PCCB rotors, conversion to steel about $2K). They are also difficult to inspect for wear and susceptible to chipping and damage, particularly during tire changes by monkey mechanics. Extremely important to at least visually inspect the carbon rotors for physical damage as part of the PPI.

As for the 'isn't a tuned X50 even better than a tuned non-X50?' question, there are probably many many threads discussing that issue. The X50 uses bigger turbos which produce more power but are also slower to spool and have more lag... Good for some but not all applications. I wouldn't automatically assume you would prefer a tuned X50 over a tuned regular TT...
Old 08-10-2017, 09:46 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Thoughts on this car??? Price, condition, mods, etc??
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911
The Boulder car is semi-local to me... If you get serious about it and want a 'renncheck' on it, let me know.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

BTW Folks, I want to say Thank You again to everyone for putting up with all my "NOOBIE" BS and questions. I got into this quite quick and it's taken me over. I'm trying to slow down but it's all I've thought about for a week or so now.
I do however really appreciate each and ever post offering advice, Info, and especially folks offering "Rennchecks" for me!!

Originally Posted by pfbz
FYi, 'S' was only in 2005, and all 2005 are S. It was the final gasp for 996TT's as the 911 model line rolled over to 997. It really was just an options bundle including X50 and PCCB's, plus a bold new letter on the rear badge.

PCCB brakes are absurdly expensive to replace the rotors on. So expensive that almost everyone just converts them to steel rotors and matching pads instead (~$22k+ just for four PCCB rotors, conversion to steel about $2K). They are also difficult to inspect for wear and susceptible to chipping and damage, particularly during tire changes by monkey mechanics. Extremely important to at least visually inspect the carbon rotors for physical damage as part of the PPI.

As for the 'isn't a tuned X50 even better than a tuned non-X50?' question, there are probably many many threads discussing that issue. The X50 uses bigger turbos which produce more power but are also slower to spool and have more lag... Good for some but not all applications. I wouldn't automatically assume you would prefer a tuned X50 over a tuned regular TT...
Good info on the brakes.. $22K????!!!! WOW!! Yeah, count me out!! lol

Standard or X50 will do just fine for me...

As for the X50 or standard vs tuned or not, I guess it really doesn't matter. It's not like I'm going drag racing or expect to be the quickest thing on the street..lol
Heck, even a modded one won't be quite at quick as my old 7100 lb. diesel truck..lol

So, extra power is great and I'll take it but not a deal breaker.

I'm close to sea level so the X50 wouldn't be as laggy I wouldn't think. I'm used to Compound turbos vs. true "Twins" like these, where the smaller helps spool the larger.

The Boulder car is semi-local to me... If you get serious about it and want a 'renncheck' on it, let me know.
Awesome guy you are!!! Thank you! I spoke to him a week ago but wasn't quite ready..Waiting on a call back from him today to speak again.

I'll let you know...Thanks!!
Old 08-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Unrelated to the car itself, Is Anybody familiar with WOODSIDE CREDIT??

Spoke to them today. They finance collectable, antique, exotic cars.

Decent % rate at up to 10 years, to keep payments low. 15% DOWN require. Can prepay loan down as far as you want but you HAVE to keep the loan for 2 Years. I guess this is how they make their money.

I'm thinking of using them to keep this toy affordable and keep my cash.

Just wondering how they structure the interest...Seems it would be heavily loaded to the front part of the loan.

Anybody have dealings with them? Thoughts??
Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Anybody have dealings with them?
The buyer of one of my previous cars (happened to be a supercharged Saleen S281) used Woodside credit. From a sellers perspective, they were a pleasure to work with. Very quick, very responsive.

They had an inspector do an on-site inspection (just a very general inspection, looking at VIN numbers, actual title, car mileage, yes it starts, overall cosmetic condition), but we went from agreement / bill of sale through inspection and wire transfer of money in just a few business days. Buyer paid his portion in cash and I fed-exed the signed title directly to Woodside.

Can't speak for their interest structure, but I've seen them mentioned on Rennlist and other forum threads quite a few times. I think Barret-Jackson has a partnership with them as well...

If you need a contact over there, I can pm you the name/number of the guy who handled the transaction I was involved with... He personally shepherded the deal through.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:26 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

The buyer of one of my previous cars (happened to be a supercharged Saleen S281) used Woodside credit. From a sellers perspective, they were a pleasure to work with. Very quick, very responsive.

They had an inspector do an on-site inspection (just a very general inspection, looking at VIN numbers, actual title, car mileage, yes it starts, overall cosmetic condition), but we went from agreement / bill of sale through inspection and wire transfer of money in just a few business days. Buyer paid his portion in cash and I fed-exed the signed title directly to Woodside.

Can't speak for their interest structure, but I've seen them mentioned on Rennlist and other forum threads quite a few times. I think Barret-Jackson has a partnership with them as well...

If you need a contact over there, I can pm you the name/number of the guy who handled the transaction I was involved with... He personally shepherded the deal through.

Very good to know sir. I have actually already completed an application and been approved for the entire amount. I'm just waiting on which car I'm going to purchase.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:33 AM
mxracer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Decent % rate at up to 10 years, to keep payments low. 15% DOWN require. Can prepay loan down as far as you want but you HAVE to keep the loan for 2 Years. I guess this is how they make their money.

I'm thinking of using them to keep this toy affordable and keep my cash.

Just wondering how they structure the interest...Seems it would be heavily loaded to the front part of the loan.

Anybody have dealings with them? Thoughts??
Check out LightStream as well. Have had 2 personal great experiences with them. PM if you want more details and we can talk.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:10 PM
DarenB68
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mxracer
Check out LightStream as well. Have had 2 personal great experiences with them. PM if you want more details and we can talk.
+1
Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarenB68
+1
+2
They do unsecured loans on classics and older used, no inspection needed.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:19 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How about a nice 02' Speed Yellow with many nice upgrades, including FVD X50 turbos, Exhaust, GMG alloy diverter valves, 997 GT2Rs intercoolers, 91 Tunning tune, Euro OEM X73 suspension, GT3 seats, Tequipment roll bar, Yellow belts, GT2 rear seat belt delete side panels, Double din Excelon GPS head unit, Bose, Numeric shifter, Cup shifter cables, GMG adjustable sway bars, New 4 liter GT3 rs clutch package including light weight flywheel, new Clutch slave cylinder and accumulator, 997 PCCB upgraded 6 piston calipers with new upgraded slotted rotors, Aero front splitter, New tires, water pump, serpentine belt, plugs and coils.
Everything works including the rear spoiler.
I do have most of the OEM stuff, including sport seats, sway bars, shifter, radio and such.
Car has 39K miles.

Let me know what you think,
Al Z
Attached Images            
Old 08-11-2017, 05:25 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Al Z
How about a nice 02' Speed Yellow with many nice upgrades...

Let me know what you think.
I think you should tell us your asking price...

If there was ever a car that cried out for a GT2 bumper conversion, it's ^^^^^^
Old 08-11-2017, 05:54 PM
napoleon1981
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Heck, even a modded one won't be quite at quick as my old 7100 lb. diesel truck..lol
True, 7100lb diesel trucks and Saabs are the Achilles heel of 996 turbo. In fact I always get nervous when one pulls up along side me, knowing I'm going to get smoked in my poor x50.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:56 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ You might have missed the video of his insane truck..
Old 08-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mxracer
Originally Posted by DarenB68
+1
Originally Posted by Hosewater2
+2
They do unsecured loans on classics and older used, no inspection needed.
Interesting...I'll have to look them up.

Do they require you keep the loan for 2 years before payoff, like Woodside?

Quick Reply: Newbie-Advice needed asap on 2004 996TT