Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie-Advice needed asap on 2004 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely agree, just unsure how the center console got left black, that had to have been an eyesore even accounting for early-aughts taste. I bet the dude who ordered it asked the same when he picked it up.
Originally Posted by Dock
Neither.

I don't think any wood looks good in a Porsche sports car. Additionally, I don't think that interior color looks good with the exterior color.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:40 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
...just unsure how the center console got left black.
Maybe it isn't what originally came in the car. Someone may have had problems with the original wood console deteriorating, and replaced it with a black console.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:12 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Your showing your age... But I assume you meant coils.
i most certainly did lol but i was sourcing some bike parts and was distracted ( yeah right lol..) good catch. even my 66 triumph doesn't use points any more! yes, coils. whether i need 'em, or not

did i say "points'? ha!
Old 08-18-2017, 04:34 AM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Z View Post
How about a nice 02' Speed Yellow with many nice upgrades...

Let me know what you think.
I think you should tell us your asking price...

If there was ever a car that cried out for a GT2 bumper conversion, it's ^^^^^^

Personally , I would not install the GT2 front or rear spoilers .
My car is not a GT2 . It is a very nice , well taken care of Turbo with many nice quality upgrades in my opinion ��
I have been considering listing it for sale officially, to acquire a GT3.

Price ? Would have to be around 60K or so. Including all the stock parts.

Just the FVD X50 upgrades , exhaust, euro suspension and tune came out to over 17K . The work was performed by Orbit Racing out of Jupiter Florida.

Thanks
Attached Images    

Last edited by Al Z; 08-18-2017 at 08:41 AM. Reason: added infor
Old 08-18-2017, 05:12 AM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Neither.

I don't think any wood looks good in a Porsche sports car. Additionally, I don't think that interior color looks good with the exterior color.
I guess two people liked it...

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/197...che-930-turbo/
Old 08-18-2017, 10:46 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Anyone near Rancho Cucamonga, CA that would be willing to go check out a car for me???

That's near Riverside and San Bernardino
I'd be happy to check out any LA area car for you, but Rancho Cucamonga is a rather unpleasant drive from West Los Angeles.

Should be lots of candidates in metro LA area.

Oh, and to the other point - interior....

I bought the best car I could find despite the puke beige/wood interior. then I replaced the interior (not a small task, but doable)
Attached Images   
Old 08-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by techweenie
I'd be happy to check out any LA area car for you, but Rancho Cucamonga is a rather unpleasant drive from West Los Angeles.

Should be lots of candidates in metro LA area.
Thank you Sir!! But before I ask you and put you out, the owner said that his car has the 2nd gear pop out issue but ONLY when it's first cranked and driven cold.

He claims that once it's warmed up, it will not do it anymore.

Is this a true statement about the issue? How much is the 2nd gear pop out issue to repair?? I've not done my research on it yet.

Other than that, it looks pretty good ( minus a few cosmetic issues).
Old 08-18-2017, 11:49 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Quotes and my reply from another thread. Thoughts???

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
If you want the 996.2 "stiffened" chassis it shows up in all Turbos built after 2/1/2001. Some some 2001 cars have it. If you want a glove compartment then you have to buy a 2002. Small improvements were made as the years went on but I would take a quality low mileage early car over over a lesser newer car everytime.
Well the Chassis probably isn't as important to me, as I will just drive on the street more than likely. Would only track it if I can ever afford to lose a ton of money on value and maintenance.

Glove box would be nice to have but could live without it.

The hollow spoke wheels on 02 and up seems like a legit thing to want though ( less rotating mass ).

The 01 I found is in Great shape but has 63K miles. Awesome records and maintenance history. He's firm on his $46K price though. I'd prefer to pay less for an 2001.

What are thoughts on this car for that price????

Old 08-18-2017, 11:50 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Thank you Sir!! But before I ask you and put you out, the owner said that his car has the 2nd gear pop out issue but ONLY when it's first cranked and driven cold.

He claims that once it's warmed up, it will not do it anymore.

Is this a true statement about the issue? How much is the 2nd gear pop out issue to repair?? I've not done my research on it yet.

Other than that, it looks pretty good ( minus a few cosmetic issues).
I can't speak for everyone's experience, but I had a handful of 2nd gear pop outs until I added a ball bearing spacer to a spring on top of the trans (there's a write up somewhere on this mod) AND switched to stiffer engine/trans mounts. Those 2 things stopped it cold. Having said that, if you want the definitive fix, it's probably best to swap out to a newer trans. - which is likely cheaper than rebuilding. I've heard of people doing more than one rebuild to stop 2nd gear pop-outs because the tolerances are super critical and not every rebuilder is up to it.

Again, my own experience + what I've read that I've found credible. There are people here with vast experience I hope will weigh in.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:03 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

to repair 2nd you'll need to have the transmission opened and at a very minimum replace 1/2 gears and the synchros for same. not the kind of thing you want to do if your purchasing a car to drive and expect to be trouble free for "awhile". its about a $4-6K job unless you hand deliver the g'box to save the 6-8 hours of r&r to drop the box. either way, a fairly costly endeavor. pass on that one, unless you want to upgrade the g'box put in a "built" box anyway....

its caused by the 2nd gear "dogring" which becomes "rounded" and no longer seats ( or more accurately "meshes" ) properly. given that it is caused by what is essentially a "worn part", it never gets better on its own. yet, as the previous poster just noted, some have had luck with this 8mm ball bearing insert, or even a $150 part called a "detent". i would never purchase a car that exhibits signs of 2nd gear pop.. UNLESS i was going to change gears and bearings in the g'box anyway.. because once inside? its nothing to swap out 1/2 and the synchros. it's the "getting there" that requires effort lol

the gear stack placement was altered on cars after MY '03 so as to change where fourth gear is in the gear stack, and this along with amended "shims" tolerances, all but cured this issue. find an "03 and beyond, as they never had the issue.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
to repair 2nd you'll need to have the transmission opened and at a very minimum replace 1/2 gears and the synchros for same. not the kind of thing you want to do if your purchasing a car to drive and expect to be trouble free for "awhile". its about a $4-6K job unless you hand deliver the g'box to save the 6-8 hours of r&r to drop the box. either way, a fairly costly endeavor. pass on that one, unless you want to upgrade the g'box put in a "built" box anyway....
Thank you!! I'll pass on it. (it was an 02 X50)

What do you think of the 2001 pics above though? ^^
Old 08-18-2017, 12:15 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Thank you!! I'll pass on it. (it was an 02 X50)

What do you think of the 2001 pics above though? ^^
not a fan of the graphite interior OR MY 01's. had the gray my 964 decades ago lol. hated it actually but got a killer deal on the car at the time.

add: 02 x50's are a gas. try to find one that has records for having had 2nd gear pop repaired, and that would ( for me ) eliminate that issue as a potential future problem. an 02x50 is good lol
Old 08-18-2017, 06:49 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get an '01 if that's the best car/price you find. Glovebox, well, sure I'd like one, but about 99 on my list of top 100 things to look for.

Some '01's came with 'hollow spoke' twists... I think just the early ones came without. Easy to tell, just reach your hand around the back of one of the spokes... If the spoke is 'U' shape (your fingers feel a groove on the back), they are NOT hollow spokes. If the spoke is 'O' shape (oval, no groove on back) it is hollow spoke. A good set of used hollow spokes is about $1,000, and a good set of used widebody twists is about $500, so you can 'adjust' the price if the car you like doesn't have them.

The local '01 you posted about seems like a good contender if it is in really outstanding condition with full current service, newer tires and needs nothing... Yes, a bit of a premium price, but also no shipping for fly/drive costs, and perhaps most importantly, you can SEE IT and DRIVE IT yourself before making a decision.

I would be cautious about any car that you know is currently experiencing 2nd gear pop-out, even if 'only when cold'. If you discover it on a car you already have, then sure, go for the lower cost ball bearing or detent fix and hope it takes care of the situation, but to knowingly buy a car with the issue, even if only occasional, it risky.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:19 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Also, interestingly enough, the hollow spokes are barely lighter than the solid ones, and GT2 wheels (similar look but 8.5" and 12" wide) aren't hollow. So I wouldn't be hung up on that, either.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

If the guy has been too much of a cheapskate to fix the 2nd gear, what else could have he skimped on.

Quick Reply: Newbie-Advice needed asap on 2004 996TT