Sponsored by:

Cosmoline Removal - A sick obsession

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 06:49 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Cosmoline Removal - A sick obsession

Just wondering if others have removed the cosmoline crap that is sprayed underneath the motor, differential and suspension parts on the GT3. I have been using a tiny brush and rag with pure mineral spirits to get the stuff off. Completed the motor, almost 4 hours and will continue with differential and suspension parts. Estimated completion time is 10 hours for the job... While this job sux, there is some form of twisted satisfaction knowing that all of the nice alloy parts will be shining and void of that brown crap even though the car is so low that you can't even see the parts to enjoy. I will post pics of the job when complete. I recommend this job for all to enjoy so that you can get down and personal with your beast. Fun, but not sure why....
Old 10-12-2003, 06:59 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brake cleaner also works well to take off the cosmoline. I've gone through at least a case. Probably have 16 hours invested and still have the front suspension to do. It is very hard to see everything you need to get to when the car is just in jack stands. I borrowed a lift and was amazed at what I missed the first time I did it.

Karl
Old 10-12-2003, 07:12 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Ohhhhh man!!!! Front suspension too??? What a job!!! Still fun, at least for now. My Dealer will allow me to bring it in on Saturday's when the service depart is closed from 1 - 6 to use their lift....I think I will get the majority off while on the stands, then take care of the finer details on a lift and take better pics while I'm added... It will be satisfying to use a picture of the completed job as my computer wall paper at work. Pretty twisted...
Old 10-12-2003, 07:14 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Greetings,

Wurth citrus degreaser. It is non toxic and smells like oranges. The only way to go.

Best,

Don
Old 10-12-2003, 07:16 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I removed part of mine using a citrus based engine cleaner/degreaser with a brush and my hose attached to the hot water heater. I just sprayed the stuff under the engine and suspension without raising her up, so needless to say I had missed a lot. However, it is still an improvement and I plan on trying again the next time I wash her.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:41 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 587 Posts

Something to do to pass a long Iowa winter when there's no live racing on Speed anyway... I had tons of that crap to remove from my last 911, a '95 993. My car should be delivered this week- do they still put as much of that junk on as a decade ago???
Old 10-12-2003, 10:03 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by skl
Something to do to pass a long Iowa winter when there's no live racing on Speed anyway... I had tons of that crap to remove from my last 911, a '95 993. My car should be delivered this week- do they still put as much of that junk on as a decade ago???
I don't know about ten years ago, but there is plenty of it on the 2004 GT3. All suspension components, bottom of motor and transaxel has it...What a pain, especially when you don't have a convenient lift to use. I have the rear up on jack stands. I will go to the dealer and use their lift for the final clean once I have gotten as much off as I can here at home. Good luck with your GT3... you will luv it!!!!
Old 10-13-2003, 12:54 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that your time would be better well spent driving the car... finished your break in yet.

Myself I could care less about the underside, no concourse car here, think I've driven my C2 on every road surface Track, Hi-ways, by-ways, gravel, dirt and muddy roads in
12 months and 20,000 mi.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:31 AM
Weng
Instructor

Finish break-in and track the car hard for 30 minutes - the stuff will just burn off. Scared me after coming in from my 1st cool down lap, thought I had blown something with the smoke coming from the undercarriage.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:52 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Weng
Finish break-in and track the car hard for 30 minutes - the stuff will just burn off. Scared me after coming in from my 1st cool down lap, thought I had blown something with the smoke coming from the undercarriage.
The only problem with that is that it leaves a brown haze on the alloy where it burned off, but it still remains on the suspension components... Guess I am just a little **** about the appearence of the underside of the car even though I will rarely see it...
Old 10-13-2003, 02:02 PM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

What is cosmoline and why is it put on in the first place?

Thanks!
Piers
Old 10-13-2003, 02:46 PM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude, sounds like your car is a garage queen!!

Seriously though, the cosmoline will help with corrosion resistance. I know you probably won't be driving the car in winter, but I am sure you will still encounter salt/sand on the roads...
Old 10-13-2003, 02:48 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Roygarth
What is cosmoline and why is it put on in the first place?

Thanks!
Piers
I's a parafin based anti-corrosive substance that is applied to the underside alloy and steel parts to prevent corrosion when the car is shipped oversea's on a boat. It was developed for the military to protect artillary and equipment for shipping. It's basically a puke brown substance carelessly sprayed all over the underside including overspray on the insides of the wheels... It's everywhere. Generally un-noticeable if you don't look under the car, but I liken it to walking around with dirty underwear...Nobody see's it but you would know it...heh heh

Old 10-13-2003, 02:54 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by MJones
I think that your time would be better well spent driving the car... finished your break in yet.

Myself I could care less about the underside, no concourse car here, think I've driven my C2 on every road surface Track, Hi-ways, by-ways, gravel, dirt and muddy roads in
12 months and 20,000 mi.
All in good time my friend, besides, I am into detail on my car. I get enjoyment out of seeing the racing components nice and clean on the GT3...I for one don't plan on beating the $hit out of this car...I could buy a beat up used C2 track ready for that!!!

BTW, GT3 motors are broken in at the factory, prior to installation in the car. It has already received it's first oil change at the factory...Just for your information...

Quick Reply: Cosmoline Removal - A sick obsession