Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 traded in after 1 week................

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 05:54 PM
stuka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At my last DE I had a chance to ride in my instructor's brand spanking new GT3, and all I have to say is that guys who think that it's loud and stiff must have never driven real sports cars.

It's firm, NOT stiff. Heck, my 86 300ZX that I bought for 4K out of college was stiffer. AND I LOVED IT.

Loud? Come on, it's a sports car, the engine/exchuast noise is supposed to drown out everyting else. In fact, the only time I even turn on the radio is when I am on dates, playing wuss music (as Butthead would say) for the girl.

My perfect car is actually the GT2, but I can't quite make that stretch from TT to GT2. So um, is there a way to disconnect the front drive and PSM? The DSC electronic in my E46 M3 is probably still brand new since I always turn it off before driving off. I only wish PSM is not on the TT.

Long live the GT's.

Andy
996TT waiting, and waiting, speed yellow is the fastest color.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:59 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's sad that anytime somone posts an honest opinion about a Porsche (any model) that is not the most positive glowing review possible, a larger than comfortable mass of replies attack the individual with often infantile remarks and (even sillier) doubts about whether these people ever even drove (or owned) the car to begin with.

It seems to me everyone must have the exact same reaction, opinion, (taste), expectations and so on....if they don't, then be cautioned about jumping off the bandwagon

Real enthusiasts appreciate people who appreciate all things automotive. They don't (or at least shouldn't) attack those that have alternate tastes, expectations, etc.......

If it weren't this way, we would all be driving Lada's and would be doing so happily ignorant that there were no other choices.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Westcoast996
I think it's sad that anytime somone posts an honest opinion about a Porsche (any model) that is not the most positive glowing review possible, a larger than comfortable mass of replies attack the individual with often infantile remarks and (even sillier) doubts about whether these people ever even drove (or owned) the car to begin with.
It is all in the delivery of the message. So far, all I see is a bunch of whiners who post anti-GT3 messages in the form of exaggerated complaints. Normally, this type of behavior angers some of the aficionados including myself. When I am looking to buy a product, it being a car or otherwise, I spend considerable time doing research to see if it is the right product for me. Never have I sought a substantial product I felt was wrong for my tastes and returned or exchanged it. Having said that, I blame the anti-GT3 people for not going through the process of self education to make certain that they are buying the right product. As such, they are the only ones at fault and should go hide in a woodshed rather than *slam* the product in public in the manner they are doing it.

For the most part, mrcohanian's initial post that started this thread does no good other than attract criticism.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:25 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Flying Finn

As others have said, this was probably best review of GT3 so far, makes me want one even more.

HEY WAIT FOR ME!!!! I WANT ONE TOOOOOO...Better I NEEEEEEED one too!!! Oh my these reports make me weak to my knees... Finally another dream car!!!!
Oh oh...how do you explain to your wife that you NEED a new GT3???

Ahhh...I love especially the fact that its loud! If its anywhere close to my race car with the supercups on it will be dreamy!!!
Old 10-09-2003, 06:31 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Viken
It is all in the delivery of the message. So far, all I see is a bunch of whiners who post anti-GT3 messages in the form of exaggerated complaints. Normally, this type of behavior angers some of the aficionados including myself. When I am looking to buy a product, it being a car or otherwise, I spend considerable time doing research to see if it is the right product for me. Never have I sought a substantial product I felt was wrong for my tastes and returned or exchanged it. Having said that, I blame the anti-GT3 people for not going through the process of self education to make certain that they are buying the right product. As such, they are the only ones at fault and should go hide in a woodshed rather than *slam* the product in public in the manner they are doing it.

For the most part, mrcohanian's initial post that started this thread does no good other than attract criticism.
Well put.....and exactly right.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:03 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,750 Likes on 2,356 Posts

stuka, you got PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:54 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Greetings,

To each his own on preference of car. That is what makes the world go around.

The part that has me frustrated is I still do not have my car yet and I have had one reserved since December when it was announced. Unfortunately I am on my THIRD order. The first two being fu=+#! up by the dealer then the rep in charge of allocations. The car I have ordered is a stripper. Worse yet there are cars availible BUT they have been loaded up with options by buyers who really never knew what the GT-3 was all about. THEN they either do not take delivery or resell them. Why are these lunatics ordering cruise control !?

So I do not fault anyone for not liking a particular car. I fault these people for having these loaded up cars brought in, and Porsche for letting them do so. If there was a $5,000 or $10,000 non refundable deposit these cars would never have been ordered. These are the cars languishing at the dealers. In the end Porsche or PCNA will choose not to bring in these models because of how these sales are going. If Porsche simply brought in basic cars with the ceramic brakes as an option, the demand would be higher. The unsold cars would sell and those who are waiting wouldn't have to.

The car in my opinion Porsche would have sold in larger numbers- A modern version of the now, not then, popular RS America. Take a standard C-2 with GT-3 interior, Sport suspension, LSD, no sunroof, GT-3 aerokit and wing, and maybe an engine or exhaust tweak, for $69,900. call it the GT America or GT CS. Though I am very happy to have a GT-3 coming a car like this may have apealed to a larger group of enthusiasts. Just my .03

Best,

Don
Old 10-09-2003, 08:01 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think Mrcohanian was "slamming" the GT3. He just thought it wasn't for him.
Please stop flaming him. His post was honest. He didn't like the car. He traded it in. He is not trying to dissuade anybody from buying one, just relating what happened to him. If people can't honestly discuss their impressions of P-cars on this forum...
I'm sure he took quite a hit in returning the car. Sorry for him, good for the "true enthousiasts", they can now purchase a GT3 as "used" from a dealer at substantial savings.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:55 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

You should be thankful for this post , not angry, as it may lead to a few cancellations and a move up on waiting lists or availabilities. In fact, if you all want one ASAP, just post everywhere as negatively and anonymously as possible to really clear the market of " poseurs "!
Old 10-09-2003, 09:03 PM
yongster
Racer

In the April issue of GT Purely Porsche magazine, a Porsche Cup series race car driver stated ..."I can see a few people buying them (GT3) ... and decide that what they really wanted was a 996 Carrera 2 with a GT3 aero kit"...

I guess he was right.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:49 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by RENNMAN
The car in my opinion Porsche would have sold in larger numbers- A modern version of the now, not then, popular RS America. Take a standard C-2 with GT-3 interior, Sport suspension, LSD, no sunroof, GT-3 aerokit and wing, and maybe an engine or exhaust tweak, for $69,900. call it the GT America or GT CS. Though I am very happy to have a GT-3 coming a car like this may have apealed to a larger group of enthusiasts. Just my .03
RENNMAN: The only problem with the car you describe is it still has an M96 based engine. For me a large part of the GT3's appeal is the track bred motor.

I ordered cruise control as a safety feature. My intent is to set it at no more than 10 over the posted speed which, in theory, is the leeway the FHP uses. I like to drive fast on the racetrack, not the highway, and tickets are soo annoying to deal with. Also keep in mind that with the EGas system in the Mk II GT3 there is no weight penalty for cruise contro as in older mechanical linkage systemsl, the functionality is all in the engine controller software.

And to comment on your suggestion of a $5K to $10K deposit to weed out non-serious GT3 buyers - In 2000 when Porsche did the final 500 car run of the Mk I GT3 they toyed with the idea of bringing about 200 of the cars to the US. Those of us that inquired then were told there would be a $20K deposit payable to PCNA to get on the list. Before I could send the money Porsche decided that it would be "too difficult" to get the car approved for sale in the US and scrapped the plan. Personally I think it was a PR issue because the 996 Turbo was about to debut and Porsche wanted it to have a clear performance advantage over its non-turbocharged stablemates.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:53 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Steve,
I agree with you on the engine ect. The car I described is not necessarily the car I would want just what I feel would have sold. For me the GT-3 coming to the States is a dream come true and just right.

Best,

Don
Old 10-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by DJF1
HEY WAIT FOR ME!!!! I WANT ONE TOOOOOO...Better I NEEEEEEED one too!!! Oh my these reports make me weak to my knees... Finally another dream car!!!!
Oh oh...how do you explain to your wife that you NEED a new GT3???

Ahhh...I love especially the fact that its loud! If its anywhere close to my race car with the supercups on it will be dreamy!!!
You just explain that it has cupholders...

It ain't even close as your car with supercups although the sound when revs up is VERY sweet!
Old 10-09-2003, 10:41 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Funniest thread yet!!! Two possibilities here:

1) Your a flamer looking to rial up the people on this board, especially GT3 owners...

or

2) You apparently did zero homework on this car prior to shelling out $120,000 after tax and thought for some reason that this car would be cool to own.

Stop insulting everyone's intelligence and go out and buy some rice. You may find the ride softer and the clutch easier. Stop wasting this discussion board's time!!!

LOL
Old 10-09-2003, 10:49 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

I agree with the delivery being the problem. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - I have been ripped on here a few times and I enjoy it. Bring it on... His critic sounded like something my Mom would say if I lent her the car to drive for a week or so - and the car has been written up EVERYWHERE pretty much stating the exact things that he complained about as well. Since he bought it without aparently doing research and then complained about the "Strengths" of the car in most of our eye's, he deserved to get ripped.

But I dont agree with the guy who called him a P-U-S-S-Y!

Quick Reply: GT3 traded in after 1 week................