Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 traded in after 1 week................

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 09:26 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL...it is a race car, not a luxo cruser
Old 10-09-2003, 09:29 AM
la993 uk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is not happy with their GT3 or GT2 I'll be quite happy to 'check it out' on the roads around West London & Hampshire.
....It should only take a couple of months or so to reach my verdict!!!

... if you ask really nicely I might even pay for the fuel myself.

Luke
Old 10-09-2003, 09:34 AM
TNGT3
Instructor

Originally posted by donnyj
As I keep saying the ground clearance is too low for urban use. You are amongst the first of many dissapointed customers who have bought a track car for road use.....remember alot of the people on this forum are enthusiasts alot of people buying the GT3 will be Joe Public with a fat wallet wanting a cool image, they will be even more dissapointed than yourself.

Donny J
The GT3 is NOT a track car for road use. It is a road car that you can take to the track with little or no modification. I laugh every time I read this in someone's post.

You probably would be miserable in a true track car if you drove it on the street.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:35 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Blah Blah Blah... This post sounds more like someone who really bought an X51 and is trying to defend their choice over the GT3 and never really owned it. All of his negative points are my positive points about the car, other than the driveway scraping. Just go up it on an angle - problem solved. So what if it scrapes here and there - replace the lower front piece every year for a few hundred and you are set. Potholes? No Porsche I know of is pothole friendly. I dont know about other states, but using a cell while driving in NY is illegal as it should be everywhere, so that is another good thing. Besides that, I have made plenty of calls in my car, no problems here (Yes I have broken another law besides speeding guys..).

I dont mean this as a joke, but how is your hearing?? Sure the car is louder, but you are totally exaggerating it and it is really only loud as you get on it over 5K, where you DEFINITELY should not be talking on the phone at the same time. Heavy clutch?? The car is a streetable track car off the floor.. I am curious what you expected before you bought the thing, if you really did! Someone else said it first but what made you want the car??? You MUST have read something to even know about it and every article I have read points out most of these things in advance.

Sounds fishy to me...
Old 10-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What a wuss!

1- The car is way too stiff...
You say you can handle stiff ride...
Yeah right, if GT3 is untolerable to you, how can you say you can handle stiff? GT3 isn't like a race car stiff, yet you have headaches etc.
What's stiff to you, Lexus?

2- The car is way too low off the ground... Cheesh, buy a Hummer since you must be licing in some rural area.

3- The car is Loud...
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't even make a phone call?!?
I'll bet holding double latte frocachine mocha chocolate double espresso on other hand and cell phono on other must be tough because it is soo bumpy...

4- Clutch is HEAVY...

Yeah, and again that stuff from four bucks is hard to drink because you have to change gears and all, buy a cheesebox, why bother with manual tranny?!

And this is good also:

"I put 200 miles on the car in the first day. Try doing that in a GT3!!!!!!!! you will need an appointment with a chiropracter..."

Man, you're such sissy, don't take this too personally, but seriously, you are.
I wonder here what would happen if someone forced you into GT3RS or better year 964 RS or 993 RS Clubsport, you'd probably freak out & die. I;m not kidding either.

I understand there are total sissies out there who can't handle real car which is ok but to write an review like that...
I'm sick and tired of bashing GT3 being to hard, I wonder what the reviews would've been if previous RS models had been sold here in US, oh man, think about that!

As others have said, this was probably best review of GT3 so far, makes me want one even more.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 10-09-2003 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:48 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

LOL - you said it.. not me...
Old 10-09-2003, 09:51 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear you do not like the GT3, but all the problems you listed are subjective issues for you and the car. For me, it is exactly what I want. The ride, height, sound, and clutch are right in character for this type of car and I would not want to change a thing. Now that being said, it certainly is not a car for everybody. It is truly a niche market vehicle and for that market it is the best Porsche released in recent years. I am sure you will enjoy your 04 996, they are all great cars too... how bout some pix?
Old 10-09-2003, 10:23 AM
Fozzy
Instructor

Originally posted by johnfm
Fozzy

I think there may be class action for the GT2 also. No-one at Stuttgart realised it was only 2 wheel drive (some ham fisted Fritz forgot to insall the forward diff & drive shafts!) and really fast.

Dunderklumpens!!
And Alois Ruf is refusing to even quote for raising the ride height, installing rear seats and removing one of those blatently excessive turbochargers from my GT2. Started muttering something about me buying a cayenne. You just can't get the service these days.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:31 AM
JLJ

Default Re: GT3 traded in after 1 week................

Originally posted by mrcohanian
Last Tuesday, I picked up my 04GT3. I thought it was going to be the best car that porsche has released to date.... Boy, was a wrong..... I have owned a 996 coupe, a C4S, and the 996 turbo and I have to tell you , This car gave me a headache.... Problems with the car.. 1- The car is way too stiff. You feel every bump and inperfection in the road. Now I am a young guy and can handle a stiff ride but this was beyond tolerable. 2- The car is way too low off the ground. Now if your on a track, thats fine but to say that this car can be driven on public roads is nuts.... Try pulling into any driveway and see what happens or God forbid you hit a pothole.. You actually can't drive the car in a spirited way because your worried about what your going to bottom out on next....3- The car is Loud. Now I love the sound of a Porsche engine but this thing after an hour in it gives you a headache.. There is no insulation in this car, NONE....... The car makes so much noise that if you try to make a cell phone call, forget it.....You can't hear the other party.... 4- Clutch is HEAVY....... Now I didn't find it hard to drive but if you hit any traffic, you will be sorry...... Infact, to be honest, If you drive this car for longer than 1 hour, you start getting tired... This comes from a person who can spend hours behind the wheel of a porsche... Make no mistake, if you want this car for track purposes, thats fine but if you plan on driving this car on public roads, you will be sorry............ After 1 week and 500miles on this car, I turned the GT3 back to the dealer and bought an 04 996 coupe with the x51 package. This car is an absolute dream compared to the GT3 in terms of driving on public roads. I put 200 miles on the car in the first day. Try doing that in a GT3!!!!!!!! you will need an appointment with a chiropracter......
you are a dork...no offense. i have to wait months for a GT3 because of posers like you.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Fozzy
Instructor

Hours of fun. This certainly makes a change from the usual concerns that that the cars aren't sporty enough. Can see it rapidly disintegrating into a bastardised cjv / evo / GIAC type thread.....

"my 996 has 207 BHP at the crank.....nice try, but my TT is running 165 BHP and 0.0 boost.....well a wheel's fallen off mine, and it now traps the 1/4 mile at 28 mph secs so ner...."
Old 10-09-2003, 10:51 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Damn - I was trying to be nice about it.. You guys really dont hold back too much! Like I said - I doubt he even had the car myself. Probably read some other X51 vs GT3 posts, owns an X51 (if that) and is trying to justify his purchase in some strange way.

At least you didnt use the P-U-S-S-Y word...
Old 10-09-2003, 10:57 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW - as a totally inappropriate question...are their cupholders in the GT3....and for the RoW what about the GT3RS (as in the road car)?

GT3RS with cupholders...mmmm...think we've a new definition of oxymoron...although might come in handy as a holder for the water feed to one's helmet...maybe.. :-D
Old 10-09-2003, 11:00 AM
JLJ

Originally posted by ADOGNY
Damn - I was trying to be nice about it.. You guys really dont hold back too much! Like I said - I doubt he even had the car myself. Probably read some other X51 vs GT3 posts, owns an X51 (if that) and is trying to justify his purchase in some strange way.

At least you didnt use the P-U-S-S-Y word...
or B-I-T-C-H
Old 10-09-2003, 11:10 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I am still in denial that any Porsche has cupholders... especialy the GT3.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:16 AM
TNGT3
Instructor

Originally posted by ADOGNY
Besides that, I have made plenty of calls in my car, no problems here (Yes I have broken another law besides speeding guys..).

LOL.....YOU OUTLAW! So...you were going 170 mph, talking on your cellphone, drinking a beer, and steering with your left knee. Just adding a little fuel to the fire.

Seriously, have you had enough yet? I am still waiting for your formal apology post. I am kidding of course.

Quick Reply: GT3 traded in after 1 week................