Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum-103/)
-   -   GT3 traded in after 1 week................ (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/92500-gt3-traded-in-after-1-week.html)

mrcohanian 10-09-2003 02:08 AM

GT3 traded in after 1 week................

Last Tuesday, I picked up my 04GT3. I thought it was going to be the best car that porsche has released to date.... Boy, was a wrong..... I have owned a 996 coupe, a C4S, and the 996 turbo and I have to tell you , This car gave me a headache.... Problems with the car.. 1- The car is way too stiff. You feel every bump and inperfection in the road. Now I am a young guy and can handle a stiff ride but this was beyond tolerable. 2- The car is way too low off the ground. Now if your on a track, thats fine but to say that this car can be driven on public roads is nuts.... Try pulling into any driveway and see what happens or God forbid you hit a pothole.. You actually can't drive the car in a spirited way because your worried about what your going to bottom out on next....3- The car is Loud. Now I love the sound of a Porsche engine but this thing after an hour in it gives you a headache.. There is no insulation in this car, NONE....... The car makes so much noise that if you try to make a cell phone call, forget it.....You can't hear the other party.... 4- Clutch is HEAVY....... Now I didn't find it hard to drive but if you hit any traffic, you will be sorry...... Infact, to be honest, If you drive this car for longer than 1 hour, you start getting tired... This comes from a person who can spend hours behind the wheel of a porsche... Make no mistake, if you want this car for track purposes, thats fine but if you plan on driving this car on public roads, you will be sorry............ After 1 week and 500miles on this car, I turned the GT3 back to the dealer and bought an 04 996 coupe with the x51 package. This car is an absolute dream compared to the GT3 in terms of driving on public roads. I put 200 miles on the car in the first day. Try doing that in a GT3!!!!!!!! you will need an appointment with a chiropracter......

ZAMIRZ 10-09-2003 02:14 AM

ah jeez, here we go again :rolleyes:

Bill_C4S 10-09-2003 02:22 AM

oh yeh...cf....see the last 30 threads.....

GT3 vs GT2 vs Turbo vs X50 vs X51 vs '73 RS, etc......

how much more verbage before it gets hackneyed?

mrcohanian 10-09-2003 02:36 AM

Can't help it... I was really disappointed with the car.....

mds 10-09-2003 02:50 AM

Stop it. You're making the wait even harder. By far the best review yet. :D

safetywork 10-09-2003 03:12 AM

Agreed! This is the best review yet on the GT3!

TNGT3 10-09-2003 03:17 AM

..........Sigh.........another disappointing post. What were you expecting? Did you not read anything about this car before you took delivery?

I can understand why you feel it might have a harsh ride if your experience with a 911 has only been in the 996 (the softest of all 911's to date). If you have owned or driven 993's, 964's and older at any length, you might have a different opinion. I for one consider it a huge breath of fresh air. To me, this is what a "sports car" is all about. I was actually expecting the ride to be more stiff.

At least you did not say you could not believe it arrived with no sunroof, no back seats, no rear wiper blade, and a terrible sound system!

I hope the GT3 finds a good home and enjoy your new ride.

Christian K 10-09-2003 05:25 AM

Out of curiousity; I have not ridden in or driven a GT3, but many other Porsche-models. Which of the older models would you guys say it is comparable to in regards of 'harshness'?

cheers

Christian
1990 C2
ex. 1984 Carrera

Weng 10-09-2003 05:49 AM

Subjective ride harshness rankings IMO :

964RS (even I couldn't live with 1 of these for street use) > 993RS > GT3mk1 > GT3mk2 > GT2 > 996TT > 993TT > 993 > 996

I believe that a PSS9 suspension conversion would put the 996's into the GT3 ride quality bracket. The GT3mk2 rides better than the mk1 despite having a suspension setup that is supposedly 20% stiffer.

Christian K 10-09-2003 07:26 AM

Weng,

You think the 993TT has more comfort than the 996TT?
Anyway, translating your rating I guess the GT3 is pretty much like an 80's 3.2 in terms of drivers comfort.

Cheers

Christian

1990 C2
ex. 1984 Carrera

johnfm 10-09-2003 08:04 AM

What a huge surprise - the GT3 has firm suspension, low ride height, is loud and has a heavy clutch. Next thing you'll tell me is that it has more power and closer gear ratios as well!!

Shouldn't we let Porsche know that there's something wrong with all these cars - clearly the guys in the factory were all a bit drunk and put the wrong components on it. Maybe a class action is required here.................

.....I'll get my coat.

Fozzy 10-09-2003 08:19 AM

Originally posted by johnfm
.....I'll get my coat.
LOL. Shame that'll be completely lost on 99% of the readers of this thread - perfect summary.

And damn, I thought the GT2 was the pinnacle of driver martyrdom, the ultimate self-sacrifice. But it's my duty and path in life to own one, and I must continue to suffer in silence. All those pitying looks as I scrape with the front spoiler barely off the ground. Perhaps we need a GT2 / GT3 counselling group.

johnfm 10-09-2003 08:27 AM

Fozzy

I think there may be class action for the GT2 also. No-one at Stuttgart realised it was only 2 wheel drive (some ham fisted Fritz forgot to insall the forward diff & drive shafts!) and really fast.

Dunderklumpens!!

pedsurg 10-09-2003 08:38 AM

How do we get everyone else to drive calls in which cell phones cannot be used.

Renoir 10-09-2003 09:20 AM

LOL