Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 traded in after 1 week................

Old 10-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

mrnocojones needs an S600. it's the car that addresses all these issues. then we can have gt3 owners write: i sold my S600 after 10 days because....
Old 10-09-2003, 02:10 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am partial on the GT3. I like it but would not buy one.

I think the 996's are way more comfortable as street cars.
The 996 cup cars are way better track cars than the gt3's. A used one is about the same price or less than the GT3 and it beats the GT3 on the track any day.

If you want street comfort you should buy the regular 996's.
If you want track performance you should buy the 996 cup cars.

It's difficult to have a car that can do both and the GT3 is Porsche's attempt to do it.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:15 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys, give mrcohanian a break. He was led down the garden path by:
The dealer; magazine write ups which downplayed the stiff ride etc while raving over the performance and handling; us - since those who have GT3s rave over them as the best think ever. The average guy who buys a 996 probably does not spend his time here. He enjoys his car for the looks performance and maybe the prestige. Nothing wrong with that is there? Do we dump on guys who buy SL 500s or Jags?

I saw the same thing happen with the GT2. As Watt and Fozzy can attest, the 2' has even worse ground clearance, the same stiff ride and noise level. In this town only three were delivered (Canada got a dozen in all of 2002). I got one and love it. The other two went to guys who had no idea of what they were buying. One was ordered with every option, full leather (big) carbon fibre everything extra lighting, contrasting stitching you name it. There were 25K worth of options added! Car was for sale within a month. The other one ended up in the wall at a race track - first Porsche, no track experience, no instructor.

I think the dealers should do a better job of screening GT buyers. That would help get them into the hands of people who want them for their race-car like characteristics. mrchohanian is a victim the way I see it. He'd be better off with a 996/x51 or a TT. There is nothing wrong with that, that's why different models exist. When I'm asked about a GT2 or 3, I ask one question: Are you going to drive this car on a race track frequently? If the answer is no, I tell them to pick something else. Same applies to a Z06 vette by the way. There are plenty of low-low miles 06s for sale for the same reason. Wrong buyer.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:52 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

bob --

my only comment would be i don't find the "ride" in a gt2 or 3 rough or noisy [unless your bars are on 4 or 5, but off the track why do it???] . you can adjust the bars to soft which is great on bumpy roads like mine as you don't bounce as you would on race 4/5 settings...so you're actually faster soft. but that's what great, you can adjust them!!!! and you could adjust ride height... i have to put the front gt2 valence lip back in every so often, but it's actually a good design in that it pulls out and easily replaced rather than breaking.

i also find them to be great daily drivers, and great long distance cars. everything thats makes them wonderful sporting cars makes me drive them every day to enjoy their attributes every day.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:53 PM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drove my GT3 to summit point, WV from CT. Drove it at the track for 2 days and drove it home. Nearly 1000 miles for all. Also have GT3 seats which are not as plush as the stock sport seats. I am surprised by how relatively comfortable it is on the road.....
Old 10-09-2003, 02:57 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Default Re: GT3 traded in after 1 week................

Originally posted by mrcohanian
Last Tuesday, I picked up my 04GT3. I thought it was going to be the best car that porsche has released to date.... Boy, was a wrong..... I have owned a 996 coupe, a C4S, and the 996 turbo and I have to tell you , This car gave me a headache.... Problems with the car.. 1- The car is way too stiff. You feel every bump and inperfection in the road. Now I am a young guy and can handle a stiff ride but this was beyond tolerable. 2- The car is way too low off the ground. Now if your on a track, thats fine but to say that this car can be driven on public roads is nuts.... Try pulling into any driveway and see what happens or God forbid you hit a pothole.. You actually can't drive the car in a spirited way because your worried about what your going to bottom out on next....3- The car is Loud. Now I love the sound of a Porsche engine but this thing after an hour in it gives you a headache.. There is no insulation in this car, NONE....... The car makes so much noise that if you try to make a cell phone call, forget it.....You can't hear the other party.... 4- Clutch is HEAVY....... Now I didn't find it hard to drive but if you hit any traffic, you will be sorry...... Infact, to be honest, If you drive this car for longer than 1 hour, you start getting tired... This comes from a person who can spend hours behind the wheel of a porsche... Make no mistake, if you want this car for track purposes, thats fine but if you plan on driving this car on public roads, you will be sorry............ After 1 week and 500miles on this car, I turned the GT3 back to the dealer and bought an 04 996 coupe with the x51 package. This car is an absolute dream compared to the GT3 in terms of driving on public roads. I put 200 miles on the car in the first day. Try doing that in a GT3!!!!!!!! you will need an appointment with a chiropracter......
Wuss!

You whine like a girl
Old 10-09-2003, 03:29 PM
JLJ

GT3 impressions from flat 6 board french dude.....the french aint all bad i guess!!! see below
"Today I had the opportunity to test a GT3 and I can say that if you use this car as i t is made for (7 400 rpm on all gears), it is a fantastic car ! Incredible performances, teeerrific sound after 6 000 rpm, very good handling close to a racing car, really a magic car like the 993 GT2 I own.
Only problem, the crazy speed limit in France (but I did easy a 270 km/h for a short time, on a too short road !)."
Old 10-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Watt,
I have 19,000 miles on my GT2 and my bars are set stiff and I have a very loud Fabiani exhaust with race cats - and six point harnesses so I drive with the hub between my thighs. None of this bothers me either. You and I along with many others on the board are on the fringe. mrcohanian expected something more civilized. You and I bought them because we wanted the maximum of performance and we know what the compromise entails. Guys who put PSS9 on their TT's are right with us. Those of us who derive max pleasure from max performance have a different. BY the way the video clip of a red GT2 at Tremblant on Joe Fabiani's website is me. Don't try to use a hands free cell phone in my car!
Old 10-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Z0650th
Instructor

Personally, I think it's refreshing to see an honest review of the GT3 coming from someone that just paid good money for it. Perhaps some of the things that annoys that original poster, others will find to be what they were looking for. But also perhaps his observations may just deter someone who was concerned about ride stiffness and noise from buying the car and losing a lot of money on trading it back in.

The GT3 may be an awesome car but let's fact it, it's not going to be for everyone!

Just my .02
Old 10-09-2003, 04:18 PM
SEAN MCMANUS
Instructor

MRCOCHRAN, AND WHO EVER ELSE DISLIKE THE GT3 DUE THE NON CREATURE COMFORTS I.E. STIFF RIDE AND LOW STANCE LACK OF CRAP IN OTHERWORDS MAN.
YOU KNOW WHAT YOU WOULDN'T KNOW A GOOD TRUE PORSCHE IF IT ROLLED UP AND BIT YOU RIGHT IN YER ****!
I AM GLAD YOU TRADED IT IN YOU LAG! NOW SOMEONE WHO WILL REALLY LOVE THE CAR FOR WHAT IT IS CAN OWN IT!
GO BUY A BOXSTER AND PUT YER FRIGGIN LATTE IN THE CUP HOLDER AND BE HAPPY!!!!

YOU MAKE ME SICK TO READ THIS POST!
PORSCHE DIDN'T MAKE THE GT3 FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU!! WHO OWN THEM TO LOOK COOL OR IMPRESS OTHERS! THEY NADE IT FOR (DRIVERS) WHO LOVE TRUE SPORTS CARS!!!i EXCLUDE YOU TRUE PORSCHE PERFORMANCE LOVIN YANKS! IN THIS LAST COMMENT, BUT IT'S PEOPLE LIKE MR COCHRAN THAT MAKES ME REALIZE WHY PORSCHE AG NEVER WISHES TO SHIP IT'S TRUE RS/GT SERIES CARS ACROSS THE POND! MOST YANKS HAVE NO CLUE WHAT TO DO WITH THEM.
LIKE AI SAID BOYS I KNOW THERE ARE A LOT OF YOU KNOW WELL WHAT TO DO WITH A HARD RIDING GTS/RS..
AND GOD LOVE YA!! FOR IT!

ENOUGH OF THIS

SEAN
Old 10-09-2003, 04:30 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Maybe he was mislead by the dealer - I can believe that as they lie just like any other car salesman, not to mention know nothing about the car too boot! But I have yet to read a magazine write up that says the car is comfortable, cushy, soft clutch, etc. If he did his homework, he would know about the car and what he was getting. If he still felt this way after the sale, then he truly is a moron. If he is telling the truth, then I feel bad cause he probably took a good hit on the swap.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

bob what is the link to the video of you? i can't set my cell phone down to look.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:40 PM
SEAN MCMANUS
Instructor

I simply don't think he really knows whata true Porsche is..

I am glad to see some of you do!
Slan....
Sean
Old 10-09-2003, 05:08 PM
donnyj
Instructor

Default Sean Sean Sean

Originally posted by SEAN MCMANUS
MRCOCHRAN, AND WHO EVER ELSE DISLIKE THE GT3 DUE THE NON CREATURE COMFORTS I.E. STIFF RIDE AND LOW STANCE LACK OF CRAP IN OTHERWORDS MAN.
YOU KNOW WHAT YOU WOULDN'T KNOW A GOOD TRUE PORSCHE IF IT ROLLED UP AND BIT YOU RIGHT IN YER ****!
I AM GLAD YOU TRADED IT IN YOU LAG! NOW SOMEONE WHO WILL REALLY LOVE THE CAR FOR WHAT IT IS CAN OWN IT!
GO BUY A BOXSTER AND PUT YER FRIGGIN LATTE IN THE CUP HOLDER AND BE HAPPY!!!!

YOU MAKE ME SICK TO READ THIS POST!
PORSCHE DIDN'T MAKE THE GT3 FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU!! WHO OWN THEM TO LOOK COOL OR IMPRESS OTHERS! THEY NADE IT FOR (DRIVERS) WHO LOVE TRUE SPORTS CARS!!!i EXCLUDE YOU TRUE PORSCHE PERFORMANCE LOVIN YANKS! IN THIS LAST COMMENT, BUT IT'S PEOPLE LIKE MR COCHRAN THAT MAKES ME REALIZE WHY PORSCHE AG NEVER WISHES TO SHIP IT'S TRUE RS/GT SERIES CARS ACROSS THE POND! MOST YANKS HAVE NO CLUE WHAT TO DO WITH THEM.
LIKE AI SAID BOYS I KNOW THERE ARE A LOT OF YOU KNOW WELL WHAT TO DO WITH A HARD RIDING GTS/RS..
AND GOD LOVE YA!! FOR IT!
If he wanted to look cool and impress others he would still have the car...

Donny J
Old 10-09-2003, 05:40 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

LOL, his review of GT3 is right on, well almost.
stiff: nah, it's firm.
low: yeah, but wake up and watch where you go, then you will be fine.
loud: my C4S with PSE is louder. although this may change when i pile more piles on the GT3. i wish it's louder
hvy clutch: i like it. i only have to do leg press on my right foot when i goto the gym now. it's a time saver for me.

can't drive more than 200 miles at a stint? hum... i drove 650 miles non stop on curvy roads (stopping just to get gas) trying to break in the car. the low riding, loud, stiffly sprung car with heavy clutch really loosened up all my bones that i felt refreshed afterwards!.

i am sorry he didn't like his machine, but GT3 isn't for everyone. some will love it and other won't.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 traded in after 1 week................