Sponsored by:

7:15 Nürburgring Nordschleife BTG lap time in my 996

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 03:40 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaizu

So, buy a cheap 996TT and spend big bucks and you have yourself a lap time king. Actually, spending big bucks is relative, as 996 GT2 prices have grown a lot so it could make sense...Apart from the sh*tty resale value vs. an authentic GT2..
Kaizu, a hobby isn't a hobby unless it takes all your (extra) money, spare time and wife's nerves... =)

Btw, suspensionwise you have about doubled street GT3's spring rates but less than Cup's and balanced differently.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:09 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have KW clubsport set up as well in my 996.1 GT3. Manthey specs are 170Nm rear, 60Nm front. This summer I went there with 80Nm/170Nm springs. That felt very bumpy and the front end was low on grip. For the Ring at least I may have to go back with softer set up and rise the car a little.

Kaizu, have you played with adujstments for bump and rebound? I visit the Ring only once or twice a year so I really haven't found time to try different settings as the adjustment on these is rather frustrating especially at the rear. I'd be interested to hear how you have them set up regarding bump/rebound.

I am sending my shocks to Raeder/Manthey for rebuild, I will certainly ask advice regarding springs and settings.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:07 AM
Kaizu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep JarmoL, I tried quickly stiffer 100N/mm front springs (570 lbs inch American) after suffering oversteer with my first RWD setup*, but that provided too much understeer at least on a slow track like Alastaro during my test. So went back to 70 in front.

(*Which I managed to correct with lower rear height and correcting the wrong rear toe angle)

Yet, I see people using high rates with high quality dampers and have driven myself other Porsches with Motons and "high" rates, so the correct spring rate depends on various stuff.

It feels we have two groups on forums at least: Majority of guys here say you can use high spring rate with high quality damper and gain performance, when I have different experience with the KW's. Have also heard from professional Porsche teams how with a high quality damper you get the benefit of using a softer spring rate without performance loss. I believe this depends bit on the specific damper in use, I believe some damper manufacturers hint a bit in their marketing material how you are able to use "soft" or "stiff" spring rate with their products without problems.

About shocks, I have softened two clicks the rear rebound for Ring's bumps and it helps there, otherwise specs original...or actually, I have tinkered with all of them during earlier years so can't remember the base line.

One thing that has a clear impact in correct setup is also the suspension height and rake. I would get the car as low as possible without clearance problems or bump stop problems. Also sway bars play a role, I put back original soft Turbo swaybars to the car after H&R which may mimic more the GT3 bars.

But you sure know all these...
Old 10-16-2015, 08:29 PM
coffeehead
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job!

Which front uprights? What brakes?
Old 10-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Kaizu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just stock Turbo uprights.

If I change to GT3 uprights the reason would be the opportunity to then use GT3 suspension, lots more options in race suspension for a GT3 than for a Turbo! Also here in forums some good deals available!

On the other hand, I'm glad with my KW's as no need for constant rebuilds, no shock leakage etc. which happens all too often with race suspensions.

I don't believe I could gain performance benefit from the GT3 uprights alone, the best would be to change at the same time to GT3 RS uprights, those provide the superior geometry as the car is lowered. But it's $$$$....

Brakes are Brembo GT with 997 spec master cylinder etc. because for track the Turbo needs updated calipers. For a GT3 if it's mk2 you are good to go with the stock calipers, just do better rotors, pads & ducts.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:43 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Amazing bit of driving thanks for sharing. Quite interesting that you're using 19" wheels and back to the standard turbo sway bars which goes against a lot of advise from others in the past.

Quick Reply: 7:15 Nürburgring Nordschleife BTG lap time in my 996