Sponsored by:

996GT2 or 997.1 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:02 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 996GT2 or 997.1 GT3?

I've got a 996 Turbo. I like it. It does nearly all I like very well until I go to the track which I rarely do now because of how poorly it does there. Also, I don't need/want the weight, complexity and power robbing results for 4wd. I want a rawer car that can do well on track and off.

My budget is around $70k-$75k and I have also considered the new Camaro Z28. But I don't think I will be happy there. So which to choose assuming I choose either?
Old 04-16-2014, 04:06 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I say 997.1 GT3 however drive one first. Performance delta via the numbers isn't going to be much however the power curve of the GT3 is sometimes a downer to those coming from a turbo car.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:22 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

More track = 6_3. More street = 7_3. More better = 6_3

-td
Old 04-16-2014, 04:27 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

OP is looking at the 6GT2, though! Not 3!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:28 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

I'm confused by that formula????
Old 04-16-2014, 04:33 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
OP is looking at the 6GT2, though! Not 3!
doh! then 7_3 all the way. 6_2 = widowmaker.

-td
Old 04-16-2014, 04:38 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

I got the formula... It's been a long day!

I don't mind the widowmaker rap of the GT2. I think my main concern is having another turbo track car and all that goes wrong with them. But, I am addicted to the power.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The 6GT2 will be faster on track than the 7GT3. Finding a 7GT3 for 70K will not be easy and it will not be a good example. Budget 80-85K if you want a great one.

I went from a 6GT3 to a 6Turbo to a 7GT3. There is NOTHING that compares to the feel of the 6GT3 properly setup when it performs on track. However, it blows on the street and that got old quick. Bought the 6Turbo for the "best of both worlds" which I assumed it would be. It was surprisingly fast on track and I ran faster lap times than my future 7GT3. But......Make no mistake, that was a GT cruiser and nothing more. It sucked at the track as the brakes were done in 15 minutes so I upgraded to the 6GT3 brakes. So.....it still didn't give me what I was after. Went to the 7GT3 and it is the PERFECT mix of street and track. Just a joy to drive around town and it still performs beautifully on track.

6GT3-->track
6Turbo-->street
7GT3-->perfect blend of both

6GT2 I have no experience driving but I imagine it slots similarly to the 7GT3 in terms of drivability around town and performance on track. It just depends if you are a NA or FI kinda guy. I loved the feel of the turbos but there is NOTHING that compares to the wail of a Mezger from 7-8K rpms and the adrenaline rush it creates up and down your spine!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:58 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

I looked at 996 GT3's before I got my Turbo but now they cost nearly as much as 997GT3's. Go figure. So while it is a rawer car I think I would do a 7_3 over a 6_3 just due to the age of these cars. I am getting the hang of this
Old 04-16-2014, 05:43 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 108 Posts

Wholly prejudiced to the 6GT3, but need to move to a PDK-equipped 997, so mine is for sale: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...04-sy-gt3.html. Add harnesses and track pads, ready for the track!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:11 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,528 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell

6GT3-->track
6Turbo-->street
7GT3-->perfect blend of both
!
Or you could find a stock 6GT3 for both track and street. A lot of 6GT3s have several track mods these days. I still enjoy my 6GT3 on the street simply because I kept it completely stock. Would I love to have 900 lbs. springs and motons, LWFW etc. for the track? sure, but unless it lives at the track, it's better to leave it alone if you only track it "once in a while".
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,847 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Pete, once u drive my 7 gt on street, u would never touch 6 on street again
should I bring one down to entice u?

it's like camping in a micro bus vs. ur prevost rig u showed me
Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 386 Posts

This is a great question, and one that is really hard to answer because it is personal and comes down to subjective value judgments. Like you, I own a 996tt which I love. It has upgraded exhaust, semi-custom umw tune, headers, upgraded intercoolers, pss9's, etc..., so it pulls really hard and is very fun to drive. It also has 110k miles, which means its worth way more to me then the $30-32k I would have to give it away for if I were to sell it.

My 996 gt3 is completely different. I have friends that think its cool but they like the torque of big block/turbo cars, and aren't really wowed by high revving 400 hp cars with sub 300 ft pounds of torque. These folks dont value agility and engine flexibilty, and just want the shove in the back when you push the loud pedal. I have other friends who drive very powerful cars who have told me my gt3 is the "funnest" car they have ever driven.

It all comes down to what you want and what you value. Its a hard choice, which is why I decided to keep both cars. If I had to choose just one though, it would be the gt3. But this is coming from a guy who counted as his favorite past cars (before the gt3) an 01 boxster s and and a 1998 e36 m3. Not powerful cars by any stretch, but very, VERY satisfy to drive.

For me, the biggest difference between the two cars is the power delivery. My tt spools fast and pulls hard with minimal lag (the main reason I have yet to upsize my turbos), but the power comes on early and does not really urge you to keep on it past 5k rpm. It doesn't fall flat, but it just kind of runs out of breath, and I feel like the only reason to really take it up past 5k rpm is to make sure you are on boost early when you grab the next gear. For this reason I always feel like I am abusing my 996tt when I rev it up, because there is really no benefit and it sounds and feels like the engine is straining (even though it is not). I hate that feeling. The GT3 is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I have never been one to take my cars to redline all the time but this car virtually begs you to do so because the power is so linear and there is NO drop off. And, it feels and sounds great doing it. In this respect its kind of like my old boxster, which also felt great all the way to redline. The trade off is that you don't get that initial kick in the pants, but boy is it satisfying to take up to 8k! Sorry for the long post. Good luck with your decision!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 351 Posts

GT2=TTpower+GT3chassis, what else needs said...
Old 04-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Edinsf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
This is a great question, and one that is really hard to answer because it is personal and comes down to subjective value judgments. Like you, I own a 996tt which I love. It has upgraded exhaust, semi-custom umw tune, headers, upgraded intercoolers, pss9's, etc..., so it pulls really hard and is very fun to drive. It also has 110k miles, which means its worth way more to me then the $30-32k I would have to give it away for if I were to sell it.

My 996 gt3 is completely different. I have friends that think its cool but they like the torque of big block/turbo cars, and aren't really wowed by high revving 400 hp cars with sub 300 ft pounds of torque. These folks dont value agility and engine flexibilty, and just want the shove in the back when you push the loud pedal. I have other friends who drive very powerful cars who have told me my gt3 is the "funnest" car they have ever driven.

It all comes down to what you want and what you value. Its a hard choice, which is why I decided to keep both cars. If I had to choose just one though, it would be the gt3. But this is coming from a guy who counted as his favorite past cars (before the gt3) an 01 boxster s and and a 1998 e36 m3. Not powerful cars by any stretch, but very, VERY satisfy to drive.

For me, the biggest difference between the two cars is the power delivery. My tt spools fast and pulls hard with minimal lag (the main reason I have yet to upsize my turbos), but the power comes on early and does not really urge you to keep on it past 5k rpm. It doesn't fall flat, but it just kind of runs out of breath, and I feel like the only reason to really take it up past 5k rpm is to make sure you are on boost early when you grab the next gear. For this reason I always feel like I am abusing my 996tt when I rev it up, because there is really no benefit and it sounds and feels like the engine is straining (even though it is not). I hate that feeling. The GT3 is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I have never been one to take my cars to redline all the time but this car virtually begs you to do so because the power is so linear and there is NO drop off. And, it feels and sounds great doing it. In this respect its kind of like my old boxster, which also felt great all the way to redline. The trade off is that you don't get that initial kick in the pants, but boy is it satisfying to take up to 8k! Sorry for the long post. Good luck with your decision!
Good explanation Scot!

Quick Reply: 996GT2 or 997.1 GT3?