Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Project: Engine drop to do coolant fittings...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:30 AM
loworbitsi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great! It's amazing how quickly everything bolts back together. Make sure all the clamps are tight. I had a loose one under the alternator and had to pull off the P/S, A/C, and alternator and pry up their brackets to get to it with the engine still in the car. A couple screw driver turns and it was fixed.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lou- who did the welding?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:15 AM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Lou- who did the welding?
Profab Chassis, in White House, NJ. Nice folks... Real Gearheads!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:23 AM
ninerguru
Racer

Originally Posted by loworbitsi
Looks great! It's amazing how quickly everything bolts back together. Make sure all the clamps are tight. I had a loose one under the alternator and had to pull off the P/S, A/C, and alternator and pry up their brackets to get to it with the engine still in the car. A couple screw driver turns and it was fixed.
The only "got you" while putting things back together was that I had A/C bracket in place on top of engine before the front water manifold. Unbolting the top unit allowed the front piece to go back with no issues. Manual says to use Loctite on top right bolt of A/C bracket... Just an FYI.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:01 AM
ninerguru
Racer

Ready to go in... Glad I replaced the TO bearing as it sounded pretty bad. Got taken over by last shop as they said it was changed 2K miles ago. Improvised a press to remove and install it using my motorhome chassis. Everything went back in smoothly. Double checked all hoses before installing intake. Friend is helping out tomorrow to at least get it into a semi-finished state... I can do minor stuff during the week... Getting close!

Name:  CIMG2123.JPG
Views: 563
Size:  1.06 MB

Name:  CIMG2191.JPG
Views: 618

Name:  CIMG2192.JPG
Views: 571
Size:  1.07 MB

Name:  CIMG2188.JPG
Views: 557
Size:  1,021.2 KB

Name:  CIMG2189.JPG
Views: 560
Size:  1.13 MB
Old 12-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

so exciting. Sad about throw out bearing. Cheap to do in big picture. Enjoy.l Best regards to Alex & Steve ! ! SO CLEAN !!
Old 12-08-2013, 04:57 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Update... Good news is that the engine was installed yesterday with help from a couple of friends. Went in relatively easy. Glad they were there... I spent 3 hrs this AM completing and double checking the coolant and electrical connections. It started as soon as FI got pressure.

Unfortunately, there is a coolant leak from one of the welds on the connector right on top of the water pump... I thought something was not right wen I vacuumed the system to refill with coolant and it did not hold. So, the rear cooling manifold needs to come out. Got to undo rear engine support, cats and cross over pipes, AC compressor and its mount along with PS pump and right hand cam oil return line.

At least, o-rings are new and hoses are pliable and everything is still fresh in my mind. Glad it was not one located in the core of the engine... Minor set back... Done for the day. Beer time!
Old 12-08-2013, 06:05 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Something I completely forgot and feel like **** for not saying now. My fab guy pressure tested every piece before considering them done in order to avoid the leak you had. He's pressure tested all 4 cars he's done the fix on and as a result none of us have had any issues with the welds.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:24 PM
ninerguru
Racer

It's out! Took about 1.5 hrs doing a partial engine drop.

Had to undo the eng mounts as the O2 sensor connectors would not come out between the body and eng support. Once mounts were off, i was able to slide them around.

I moved the AC compressor out of the way and left the base in place but loose. I was able to tilt the front of the base upwards to give me enough clearance to pop front manifold out once hoses were loose. There was enough give with the new Orings (I lubed them while installing)

Had to undo right oil cam return hose. Just a bit of oil lost. Oil filler clamp needed to be loosened along with oil return line on top of engine to give clearance for front piece to come out.

Not too bad all things considered. Piece goes back to welder tomorrow. And hopefully pick it up on Fri to complete over weekend!

Name:  CIMG2219.JPG
Views: 520

Name:  CIMG2221.JPG
Views: 501
Size:  1.01 MB

Name:  CIMG2222.JPG
Views: 490
Size:  1.13 MB

Name:  CIMG2223.JPG
Views: 468
Size:  1.05 MB

Attachment 785966
Name:  CIMG2225.JPG
Views: 541
Size:  1.18 MB
Old 12-14-2013, 10:48 AM
ninerguru
Racer

Picked fixed part yesterday afternoon and I'm happy to report that everything is holding up nicely. After I put vacuum tool to refill system, it held steady for minutes. I knew then I had no leaks...

It was just a matter of finishing up then and starting her up... Ran for about 20 minutes, but it was just too cold to get thermostat open (7 pm last night 25F ). So final coolant purge and refill will have to be done sometime in warmer weather...

All that is left is to button up suspension cross members and sways and belly pan... Probably another 2 hrs.

Thank you Porsche...
Old 12-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 52 Posts

Great write up, interesting to see if you've stopped the chirping.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 52 Posts

Bumping this now the weather is improving and cars are coming out of hibernation.

Did the chirping stop with the changes you made?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:36 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Originally Posted by Dervish
Bumping this now the weather is improving and cars are coming out of hibernation.

It had diminished, I say 75%... I was at the track on Fri... Did not really pay much attention... Next time I'll have it out on the street, I will reevaluate...
Old 05-11-2014, 08:21 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Originally Posted by Dervish

Just went to get gas... Back in the driveway I noticed that the chirping is gone! All I could hear was the sound of my Europipes! As a mater of fact, I did not hear it while stopped at a traffic light, I could before...

Quick Reply: New Project: Engine drop to do coolant fittings...