Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Project: Engine drop to do coolant fittings...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 03:32 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Aaron (loworbitsi) and I also did it with no lift. Sucks but it's not the end of the world. I made the mistake of not getting the car high enough which called for some creativity later in the process. Aaron learned from my mistake and did get his car far enough in the air. Lou yours looks plenty high. You using a motorcycle jack to lower the engine?
I will probably use motorcycle jack on tranny, regular jack in front. I also have run out of room while doing an air cooled one... Nice thing is that body is much lighter with engine not attached and makes it easier to lift. I think I used a large board with a single jack to elevate body just enough to clear cross member...

Another thing I will look at while I'm in there, is this noise emanating from clutch area. It is a squeal that developed after shop did RMS. Been chasing it for over a year and has been reported in other posts as others have it also. Thinking something like a washer not in the right place or? TO bearing was done at the time, less than 2k ago...

So class, there will also be a transmission separation included in the syllabus
Old 11-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ya gonna do the trans as well I bet
Old 11-05-2013, 04:42 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Ya gonna do the trans as well I bet
Been there, done that with 915s... 2 of mine, Alex, Steve and Joe's... Got a few 911 engines under my belt also. See my web page in signature...

I did the LSD on the GT3 last year with Guards (GT) innards... Anyone interested in pictures? I can start another thread as it was all documented... Just day the word
Old 11-05-2013, 04:58 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

ahh...the "While you're in there" list.

Somehow a 4.0 flywheel and RS clutch fell into my car while it was apart. Wife was pleased
Old 11-05-2013, 05:11 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the info re the coolant evacuation tool.

Do I understand correctly? You vacuum the system through the cap on the reservoir => shut the valve => stick the hose from the apparatus into a container of coolant => open the valve => presto, the coolant is sucked into the reservoir/system?

Or do you disconnect a hose somewhere and suck the coolant in that way?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:11 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

It cost me a lot more than $1,500 to replace all the all the hoses, water pump, welding and other misc items
Old 11-05-2013, 06:14 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Originally Posted by FFaust
Thanks for the info re the coolant evacuation tool.

Do I understand correctly? You vacuum the system through the cap on the reservoir => shut the valve => stick the hose from the apparatus into a container of coolant => open the valve => presto, the coolant is sucked into the reservoir/system?

Or do you disconnect a hose somewhere and suck the coolant in that way?
Correct! Takes about 90 seconds (or less!) to refill the big kitty litter container in my pictures almost filled to the top...
Old 11-05-2013, 09:25 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
It cost me a lot more than $1,500 to replace all the all the hoses, water pump, welding and other misc items
Of course, and sorry, didn't mean to pry, just trying to find out what the cost would be for just the fittings.

Originally Posted by ninerguru
Correct! Takes about 90 seconds (or less!) to refill the big kitty litter container in my pictures almost filled to the top...
Interesting, I'll have to look that up.

Aren't kitty litter buckets the best
Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

20 hours shop labor for fitting fix, Take it from there, More to to it right. Nice you guys do it yourself.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:30 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Got another 1.75 hrs in tonight... Disconnected two coolant lines by trans.

Removed alternator and also loosened the PS pump and A/C compressor. Top nut for A/C under throttle body was a bear. Ended up removing TB and loosening the plenum. PS pump was OK. Removed bracket holding oil filler. On right side of eng compartment is the A/C connector. Single wire, snakes under PS pump. As Andy said, easy to miss. See pictures. Also 2 main electrical connectors...

Decided to just cut the main coolant hoses. Was going to replace them anyway, so why mess trying to remove them from fitting. Will be much easier being able to work standing in the eng compartment.

Left side... One vacuum connector, one fuel line. Push and pull to disconnect. Decided to undo fuel line from filter at the engine. Be ready for some fuel. Make sure you put gas soaked rag outside the house... A friend lost his house and Viper when redoing deck with linseed oil and storing rags in garage. Self ignited...

Lower hose in reservoir also disconnected. One more fuel line held in place by 10mm bolt. Pulls right out. I covered all open holes to keep crap out. Specially in the fuel system...

Andy, when you took a/c and PS pump, was it a compound removal? That is, lower eng some to create clearance... Seems like a tight fit... Comments welcome!

Pretty much all done on top except for a/c and PS pump. Left to be done underneath: half shafts (6 bolts x side), clutch slave, starter and its connectors, ground strap on passenger side and one hose by trans cooler. Also shifter linkage and reverse light switch in nose of trans.

I think that covers it... Pictures follow... Lou

Alternator.
Name:  CIMG1768.JPG
Views: 1568
Size:  1.19 MB

A/C connector. Black plastic holder barely visible...
Name:  CIMG1772.JPG
Views: 1403
Size:  896.5 KB

Left side fuel lines
Name:  CIMG1777.JPG
Views: 1157
Size:  982.8 KB

A/C, plenum, alternator connections and TB
Name:  CIMG1778.JPG
Views: 1337
Size:  959.0 KB

Right side: PS pump, main coolant hose
Name:  CIMG1779.JPG
Views: 1535
Size:  890.4 KB

Coolant connector by trans.
Name:  CIMG1782.JPG
Views: 924
Size:  872.0 KB
Old 11-06-2013, 10:55 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

safety wire is a nice touch.

on the A/C and PS. Yes I basically made sure they were clear and then as the motor drops out the bottom secure them with wire / bungy cords, whatever. I wrapped mine in moving blankets to make sure they didn't swing into anything

good call on cutting the hoses. They are such a bitch to get apart.

There are vacuum connections on the back drivers side behind all the fuel mess that need to come apart when the motoro starts to come down too. Not all of them need to come apart but a couple do.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:47 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I see you have a Europipe exhaust. What headers do you have? Did you do any dyno testing?

Last edited by KOAN; 11-06-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: mac speeling correction
Old 11-06-2013, 11:05 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Had mine done. $$ but worth it compared to a big coolant induced cra$h
Old 11-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Lou- Fix those fittings even though PNA says they are of no concern. Nonsense. I've seen cars wreck on the coolant that they say "evaporates".
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...009-57948P.pdf
Old 11-09-2013, 01:08 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Hey Guys,

I am going through this as we speak. I ended up pinning the lines since I had convinced myself that this was good enough. Actually finished the motor, the transmission is going back together soon, and the new suspension bits will be installed. Please feel free to ask any questions. Will likely write up my adventures...

Quick Reply: New Project: Engine drop to do coolant fittings...