What's your opinion of the 991GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 07:48 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 731 Likes on 358 Posts
Default What's your opinion of the 991GT3?

I know this is a bit of a slanted question being on this forum, but seriously... based on what you've read and seen, would you sell/trade your 996 GT3 for a 991 GT3?

Would you trade your 'old school' and 'outdated' manual transmission for a PDK?

Would you trade your raw and noisy 'Please Save Me' free 'Purist' car for Rear Wheel steering and all kinds of electronic gadgets?

OK, so my questions are a bit biased, but one would presume that the current crop of GT3 owners SHOULD be Porsche's target demographics, right? But funny how just about every GT3 owner I've talked to personally has no interest in trading in their manual for a PDK...

Maybe WE are not Porsche's target audience??

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-14-2013, 09:50 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I would not trade the 6GT3 for it. But wouldn't mind adding it (if I have the $$$!) to the garage, but not as a replacement.

I think it will be a very good car, but I felt it has lost the original spirit of the GT3. GT3 is supposed to be cheater special that's built solely to homologate in order to race. (So you build as much trick parts into the street car so you can legally have them in the race cars.. !) The fact that the new DFI engine (I am sure it is awesome w/ 9K rpm redline, and probably reliable too) in the 991GT3 is not found in the Cup / RSR, I feel the motorsports linage has broken.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:06 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
I would not trade the 6GT3 for it. But wouldn't mind adding it (if I have the $$$!) to the garage, but not as a replacement.
Same here, but first I'd like to see a few of them getting thrashed on track for a couple years to see how all the new content holds up over time. I expect it'll be robust as previous GT3's have been (for the most part), but I'd like to see it demonstrated.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:08 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by naroescape
I know this is a bit of a slanted question being on this forum, but seriously... based on what you've read and seen, would you sell/trade your 996 GT3 for a 991 GT3?

Would you trade your 'old school' and 'outdated' manual transmission for a PDK?

Would you trade your raw and noisy 'Please Save Me' free 'Purist' car for Rear Wheel steering and all kinds of electronic gadgets?

OK, so my questions are a bit biased, but one would presume that the current crop of GT3 owners SHOULD be Porsche's target demographics, right? But funny how just about every GT3 owner I've talked to personally has no interest in trading in their manual for a PDK...

Maybe WE are not Porsche's target audience??
BTW, I love the looks of your 914. A 914 with a big flat 6 and lots of track upgrades is way up there on my list of cars I'd like to own.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe! Maybe not!

Anytime Porsche comes out with a new iteration of the GT3, it always gets my attention and consideration.

Am I opposed to the PDK only of the new GT3 , to be honest, NO. I have owned many different cars lately with DCT and the like and I enjoy(ed) them.

One of the reasons why I bought my 996 GT3 was that I enjoyed the visceral and raw driving experience it offered. It is a challenging car to drive well on the track and that challenge is what gives me the most enjoyment.

Now will the new car deliver that same visceral and raw driving experience as my 996 GT3. I guess once I get the opportunity to drive one, I mean REALLY drive one, than I will know.

Will the fact that the 991 GT3 only has PDK taint its ability to deliver what YOU are looking for, from what I have read above, I would say yes. But that is you.

You see, I will reserve my opinion and decision until I can properly experience the new 991 GT3 for myself. Than, and only than, will I be able to say YES or NO. Till then, it's 996 GT3 for me with no regrets!!!!

I have read a lot of things about the new car and they all are very intriguing. But I don't buy cars on what I read alone. Yes, it peak my interest and may start me in a direction, but ultimately I need to touch, feel, and experience for myself.

My outlook on it is this, driving the 996 GT3 takes a certain amount of bandwidth "lets say" that keeps my undivided attention and keeps me coming back for more with a smile. Will the fact that one can no longer row through the gears for himself lessen that needed bandwidth?

I don't know.

Perhaps the new car with its higher capabilities and skill set, will replace that lost bandwidth (rowing through the gears) with some new bandwidth. (Insert with your own imagination) I certainly hope so....
Old 07-15-2013, 01:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,777 Likes on 2,367 Posts

not repalce
yes add
pdk is the future, it is a lot more fun and with each shift, it will pull on the H pattern. i just got schooled today ;(
Old 07-15-2013, 02:26 AM
edgy
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I would go with the general consensus and 'add' to collection, that is the ideal scenario!

Can't pass a judgement till its driven though, my daily driver Audi A1 has a DCT trans & those upshifts are great fun.. lightning fast and that sound!

But my post is useless information.... we pay too much for these cars here and I don't have $300K ~ to buy one lol
Old 07-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys saying you would have both are cheating, easy answer, who wouldn't want both? Would you give up the 996 for it though? That's the question.

I'm pretty sure I would trade.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:40 AM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it will be a very good car, but I felt it has lost the original spirit of the GT3. GT3 is supposed to be cheater special that's built solely to homologate in order to race. (So you build as much trick parts into the street car so you can legally have them in the race cars.. !) The fact that the new DFI engine (I am sure it is awesome w/ 9K rpm redline, and probably reliable too) in the 991GT3 is not found in the Cup / RSR, I feel the motorsports linage has broken.
I agree 1,000%. I also want to see how they handle the abuse of the track.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:58 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think it will be a very good car, but I felt it has lost the original spirit of the GT3.
I agree, and I guess that's my point... so is it REALLY a GT3?

So here's a question: would all of you be so interested in it if it was called something OTHER than GT3? What if they called this the GTS...would you be as interested?

Why did you buy a GT3 to begin with? It's not the fastest car out there.... heck, not even the fastest Porsche....it's certainly not the best 'deal'... so why?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:08 PM
ray09c2s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on my experience with my '09 C2S, I wouldn't have any misgivings with PDK in my RS! Let's face it, most of us have these for the track experience.....what a thrill it would be driving my RS in sport plus!

Last edited by ray09c2s; 07-15-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-15-2013, 12:34 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Interesting...and see, I've driven a 991 with PDK and came away with the feeling that I had just cheated myself out of a good drive. No 'feel' to the driving experience, no engagement...just along for the ride...
Old 07-15-2013, 01:52 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
I am not going to lie - at my current life stage even when I have that much free cash once in while I cannot truly afford to spend $150k on a car and then run it into a wall on a track. somehow doing it in a much cheaper C2 car feels much better.
if we start speaking about 991 gt3 as regular street-only daily driver car, I do not see it as a number 1 choice for my DD neither at this price point.

991 it is a compromise multi-purpose car that requires $150k budget. 996 gt3 is a non-compromise track car in a significantly lower level budget, it is not as versatile as 991 but I think it is much more fun when used where it`s good at - on a track.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:13 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Number54
You guys saying you would have both are cheating, easy answer, who wouldn't want both? Would you give up the 996 for it though? That's the question.

I'm pretty sure I would trade.
Based on the things I don’t know now – how well it holds up under extensive track use in hot climates such as where I live, the cost to rebuild/replace the engine and tranny when they finally do wear out, the way it feels when driving it on track, the likeability of PDK as a long-term proposition, etc. – my answer is “No.” But after I’ve driven it for myself and observed the experiences of the first round or two of early adopters, I reserve the right to change my answer.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,777 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I am not going to lie - at my current life stage even when I have that much free cash once in while I cannot truly afford to spend $150k on a car and then run it into a wall on a track. somehow doing it in a much cheaper C2 car feels much better.
if we start speaking about 991 gt3 as regular street-only daily driver car, I do not see it as a number 1 choice for my DD neither at this price point.

991 it is a compromise multi-purpose car that requires $150k budget. 996 gt3 is a non-compromise track car in a significantly lower level budget, it is not as versatile as 991 but I think it is much more fun when used where it`s good at - on a track.
well said

Quick Reply: What's your opinion of the 991GT3?