What's your opinion of the 991GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Burger
You bring up a great point. Not only in the new Porsches, but any car with stability control that is so smooth you can't tell when it's engaging will ultimately consume pads and tires at a faster rate. Many new cars will not let you disengage these systems, and why would you since they're the reason you get fast without a need for improved skill.
welcome to the brave new world.
buy up all the old school cars and b done with it.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Every new model variant that Porsche has built has been followed by this same sort of discussion...I heard and read the same things when the 964 came out and the old torsion bar cars were replaced...The 964 was too easy to drive, less pure, etc,etc....and I imagine it happened when the 911 replaced the 356. There are many who think the company should still be building 2 valve air cooled motors! Please let's get over the fact that each new generation will have all the latest and greatest gizmos. I think the 991 GT3 is awesome and can't wait to get my hands on one!!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:20 PM
edgy
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by naroescape
Ha... We have pretty good roads down here in NC...then we have phenomenal road up in the mountains to drive...

Yeah, I remember the roads up North...we're originally from NJ...
I've spent long enough in NC to be able to say YES, your roads are night and day on ours (as a whole)
Old 07-22-2013, 11:27 PM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comes down to the fact I like to drive.
I didn't buy the car to achieve the maximum performance possible by a machine.

I'd like to try a 991, but I'm keeping my 996.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 167 Posts

While there has been some controversy with every model change since the 356, the change to automatic transmission only in the GT series is a big philosophical one. Automatics are not new, they and manuals have been developing in parallel for decades so this is not just a change from "old" to "new"technology.
The shift is in the Porsche design and marketing departments' assessment of the risk in having a difficult to drive car in people's handsin the numbers they want to sell cars.

This is a "dumbing-down" of the GT3 make no mistake. Porsche have decided we are not capable of steering this car while also shifting and have taken that responsibility away from us. Less messy headlines and threads regarding crashes and such for them to deflect.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd take one in a heartbeat.
I love my 996GT3 but the look, sound and performance of the new cars are just amazing. I've driven a 997 C2S race car (with PDK) and was blown away at how well it shifted and how fast it was. I'm a lover of the manual tranny and poke fun at people who can't heal and toe but this is faster for sure....
Now if I could just get one cheap...
Most likely for me is picking up a 997 GT3 when someone ugrades.

Quick Reply: What's your opinion of the 991GT3?