Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB track prepped GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:34 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

U got a price range? Prices of 6gt3 is all over the place. For your criteria I think the 7gt3 fits the bill for u. Mike
Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
How much would u pay for that car then? Mike
I'd pay about 55k to 60k max. Again to me it's a de-valued GT3 but it has lots of goodies. It's basically a race car you would have a hard time selling it for 65k in my opinion because of the quality and availability of other race cars in that price range.

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I am confused as well. Espescially seeing how many of these trackday toys are going in the $50s with less.

Mike
Most track day cars have a full interior, AC, Radio etc.... so it's a car you can enjoy on the street and at the track as well and there's significant value to that. They are also typically easier to sell.

U got a price range? Prices of 6gt3 is all over the place. For your criteria I think the 7gt3 fits the bill for u. Mike
I'll pay 75k for the right 996 GT3 but it would serious have to be holy grail of the DE GT3 or have low mileage, have all the susp bits, safety stuff and 2 sets of wheels with fresh hoos etc.....

The cars I've seen recently have 30 to 50k miles some built more than others and usually the ones with the most track prep have the most track miles with prices ranging from 50 to 65k. The cars I've been interested in have 100 hours or so and that's getting up there even for a GT3. At some point we are going to see these cars start to blow up, nothing last forever especially when tracked.

The 997 is gorgeous but I prefer the 996 for these reasons:
Less prop tax
Less ins
Less electronics
Less expensive to operate (slower with smaller tires)
Less weight
Not as big so it will fit in my trailer
etc...

Sometimes less is a good thing LOL
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ha ha Fritz. Your list looks like mine... The county nailed me for 2700 tax this year for my 6gt3
Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fritz,

You really have to consider where you are going to run it. I went through the exact same decision process as you. Ultimately I built my BMW only because I really wanted to.

Cup car is a better value, especially with so many hitting low 60s (even high 50s if you are patient). I'd buy a stock one too - you can run GTC3 and for that reason they maintain their value very well. They also fit very well in GTS4 with NASA, which is getting some more participation. We had 6 cars at VIR at their last event.

A modded GT3 is great to run TT3 and ST3 with NASA, but you will get slaughtered by the Vettes. Mark just ran a 2:01 in a relatively stockish C5Z with 245s on it. Best I ever got in the GT3 was a 2:02. My car maybe had a couple of seconds left in it, but the Vette has probably 3-4 seconds left in it. At CMP my fastest was 1:39 and Mark turned a 1:38 this past weekend. Enough said, you probably get the point.

So it's back to what you want to do. I do love the Vette. My C5Z ran two seconds slower than GT3 completely stock with sways and 275 hoosiers. I sold that car for 20K. If you spend some serious money on those you will be unstoppable - think 35-40K will have you running sub 2s at VIR. But, it's a Corvette - like it or not it just wasn't the same as driving the GT3 or my current BMW.

I'm sure this isn't going to help you any, but thought I'd share my observations from having gone through a similar decision making process.

And yes, my car was a deal. Apparently if I held on to it another year it would've fetched an extra 10K based on all the prices I've seen recently. I wouldn't be afraid of 100 hours. These cars seem to really take the abuse well. My car had 20K+ of track miles and had perfect compression/leakdown numbers, no oil leaks anywhere and dynoed at 360hp with an exhaust.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,639 Likes on 2,319 Posts

I am confused as well. Espescially seeing how many of these trackday toys are going in the $50s with less.

Mike
prices are all over the place for these home built race cars.
but there are different build.... if you know what i mean.
$30k gets you a spec 911. but here in nor cal we have many $150,000-$200,000 spec 911! and they are worth every penny.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

Stephen Which county do you live in? Spotsylvania County only popped me for $1100.

Originally Posted by StephenB
Ha ha Fritz. Your list looks like mine... The county nailed me for 2700 tax this year for my 6gt3
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
Fritz,

You really have to consider where you are going to run it. I went through the exact same decision process as you. Ultimately I built my BMW only because I really wanted to.

Cup car is a better value, especially with so many hitting low 60s (even high 50s if you are patient). I'd buy a stock one too - you can run GTC3 and for that reason they maintain their value very well. They also fit very well in GTS4 with NASA, which is getting some more participation. We had 6 cars at VIR at their last event.

A modded GT3 is great to run TT3 and ST3 with NASA, but you will get slaughtered by the Vettes. Mark just ran a 2:01 in a relatively stockish C5Z with 245s on it. Best I ever got in the GT3 was a 2:02. My car maybe had a couple of seconds left in it, but the Vette has probably 3-4 seconds left in it. At CMP my fastest was 1:39 and Mark turned a 1:38 this past weekend. Enough said, you probably get the point.

So it's back to what you want to do. I do love the Vette. My C5Z ran two seconds slower than GT3 completely stock with sways and 275 hoosiers. I sold that car for 20K. If you spend some serious money on those you will be unstoppable - think 35-40K will have you running sub 2s at VIR. But, it's a Corvette - like it or not it just wasn't the same as driving the GT3 or my current BMW.

I'm sure this isn't going to help you any, but thought I'd share my observations from having gone through a similar decision making process.

And yes, my car was a deal. Apparently if I held on to it another year it would've fetched an extra 10K based on all the prices I've seen recently. I wouldn't be afraid of 100 hours. These cars seem to really take the abuse well. My car had 20K+ of track miles and had perfect compression/leakdown numbers, no oil leaks anywhere and dynoed at 360hp with an exhaust.
Alex,
Thanks for starting a few more fires in my brain

If I knew exactly what I wanted it would certainly be easier. There are so many plus's and minus's to racing, TT, DE etc.... that it makes it hard for me to commit to one thing or the other but it sure is fun figuring it out.

1) Find a decently prepped 6GT3 with track goodies that's fine on the street (drive it daily) with AC and radio that I can arrive and drive in.

2) Find an almost race prepped car that I could arrive and drive in if necessary but also feel comfortable running in TT but it would sit in the garage.

3) By a cup and go racing.

4) do nothing and stick with the FD

Regardless of what I do the FD will stay and continue on it's slow road to greatness
Old 11-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Stephen Which county do you live in? Spotsylvania County only popped me for $1100.
He must be in N Va or something because in albemarle county I think we pay around 3% or so. The RS tax was around 2200 a year but that amount still gets under my skin enough to cause stress and irritation especially when you add another 1400 for insurance on a car that basically sits in the garage.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

Yea I'm paying far less than that on my 2004 6gt3. I think it's around $650 per year and that's with approx 10K miles per year usage.

Mike
Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
Alex,
3) By a cup and go racing.

You can get a stripper street GT3 and go J-class in PCA Club racing. I believe the class grows bigger at each subsequent event. I saw one race at VIR this year and the top 3 guys were doing high 2.03s and low 2.05s. I would think racing with the CUP would be very costly to be competitive. I don't think that would be the case in J-class. For this reason I don't think a can depart with my car yet (or ever).
Old 11-16-2012, 12:29 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^never ending money pit but car is so transformed when stripped of deadweight. Still way way more to do : ( ie $$$$. Mike
Old 11-16-2012, 12:50 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
He must be in N Va or something because in albemarle county I think we pay around 3% or so. The RS tax was around 2200 a year but that amount still gets under my skin enough to cause stress and irritation especially when you add another 1400 for insurance on a car that basically sits in the garage.
You guys are paying that much a year?... In the US?... In taxes? I realize it's not in every State, but the US is supposed to have lower taxes overall?

I thought that you were talking of a single hit on purchase of the car. How is that possible?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 458 Posts

^never ending money pit but car is so transformed when stripped of deadweight. Still way way more to do : ( ie $$$$. Mike
Mike

You left out a couple of $$$$$$$ on going down that slippery slope, except it is more like off a cliff. I swore to my wife I wouldn't mod this 6GT3 but as usual I lied.

Peter
Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Air-21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fritz,

I am considering selling my race prepped GT3, record holder at Summit and VIR, NASA GTS4 champion/points leader three years running. Many extras, PM me for all the information on it. This is the best picture I have at access to at the moment, many more at home.
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Air-21
Fritz,

This is the best picture I have at access to at the moment, many more at home.
Please post more within thread.

Quick Reply: WTB track prepped GT3