Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,748 Likes on 2,354 Posts

mike

no argument from me this being therapy that's why I do it
it's 4, I'm headed to trk now.
I was just saying that most ppl underestimate the total cost of their cars. while its not a dollar loss per se (ur bank balance doesn't suddenly drop when u sell) but the blood and sweat is also money lost, as we call it in real estate: sweat equity.

oh plus many of us can't figure out one end of a screwdriver from the other, so we have to hire out!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u r not doing your math right. if YOU build it, you need to count hour and your labor. if you dont, then pls, i will fly you over to SF first class and you can build my next race car for free labor. no matter who builds it, labor is labor, it has costs. time you could have done other things to make money, to play with ur kids, to take wife out, to surf rennlist.

not doubting your ability to build, but just saying that most ppl dont account the $ correctly.
at least in CA, most shops, even bad one charge roughly $100/hour. and they are in no hurry..... add up the labor. that's where the money goes.
if you are working on ur car. you need to charge yourself 100/hour as well. if you did that, your car is suddenly 2x the cost you think it is.

just like i talked to many ppl about cost of track day. 99% of them failed accounting.
they talk about fuel, wear/tear, food, hotel....
you took a day off work, what's your pay rate for a single day? that's lost... yes, i know it's your vacation day, but still, it's one day's pay lost.
you lost one day of "hall pass" with wife, i would pay easily $5000 per one hall pass.
the one day you burn on track, you go home, you realized you missed a day with your kids. that's a lot of "emotion" lost, trying to equate that to $ lost
then you listen to wife nag about why you had to go to track drive cars in circles buring $5/gal gasoline and not spending enough time with her, clean the house, help kids with homework. i'll pay a couple grands if someone can make that disappear.

all that are part of the total expense. if you dont count it today, it will add up and you will end up with a very BIG invoice ten years later. just watch!
YEP

I avg about 18k a year and I do most of the work myself, instruct so track time is free, part out FDs on the side so most of the parts are free and my total expenses are approx 500 to 1000 a day. I spend all my money on cars and gas and the rest I just waste

One thing to note though is my wife pays me to leave the house BUT it is my money she's paying me with LOL. I'd suggest being more difficult to live with and then she'll be glad when you're gone
Old 11-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 74 Posts

That's the qoute of the year right there gents!

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
One thing to note though is my wife pays me to leave the house BUT it is my money she's paying me with LOL. I'd suggest being more difficult to live with and then she'll be glad when you're gone
Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See, I went the other way - got my wife a race car. So now she wants to go all the time. I just "tag" along with a second race car in the trailer!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
See, I went the other way - got my wife a race car. So now she wants to go all the time. I just "tag" along with a second race car in the trailer!
My wife has a horse and my daughter has a pony so I too have my own cross to bear

All kidding aside though because you know how when you're sliding through a corner perfectly all the way to the edge of track out, pedal all the way down there's only one thing better, well equal and that is something only the wife can provide
Old 11-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mikelly
That's the qoute of the year right there gents!
When you've been married 12 plus years you know that's the truth
Old 11-17-2012, 10:59 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
I'd suggest being more difficult to live with and then she'll be glad when you're gone
It's a fine line however. Make it too difficult, and you might get the boot for good.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

You guys just wait. Every time the wife flys to see grand kids I earn mucho brownie points as she feels guilty leaving me alone. with the dog. My labor is free as I am semi retired and only need a cell phone to manage my commercial rental business.

Peter
Old 11-18-2012, 12:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,748 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
You guys just wait. Every time the wife flys to see grand kids I earn mucho brownie points as she feels guilty leaving me alone. with the dog. My labor is free as I am semi retired and only need a cell phone to manage my commercial rental business.

Peter
u got grand kid kids?
oh, I'm soooooooooooooo far away. oldest is 8yo
I'm in trouble
maybe mike can teach my kids how to build cars. then I can stop pissing money away
Old 11-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 74 Posts

Mooty, I've got a dranddaughter that will be TWO in January. Still I manage to find time in the shop. I'm actually contemplating dropping my motor to fix the water piipe issue, replace the clutch and rebuild the LSD.

Mike
Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Air-21
Instructor

Sorry for the delay,here are a few more pictures and I am still compiling the list of stuff that will come with the car. VIR data pull from IQ3, running on R6's @3200lbs.
Attached Images       

Last edited by Air-21; 11-20-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Adding photo
Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

In case this isn't Fritz' cup of tea, what are you asking? And even if it is, I'm curious.

Pics of the inside?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

Air-21

I assume your weight is with driver and are you running ballast ???

Peter
Old 11-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Air-21
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by FFaust
In case this isn't Fritz' cup of tea, what are you asking? And even if it is, I'm curious.

Pics of the inside?
That is a great question, I am tettering on picking up a 997.2 Cup to move up to IMSA GT3 Cup Gold racing, and keeping two cars is not practical. Ideally I would prefer to sell all my 996 GT3 stuff in a single package, but that is not likely to happen (I could fill a 30ft. trailer). So I am working on a full list of everything that I will post very soon and I will entertain offers with significant discounts for getting it all out of my basement I can also modify the car's configuration to fit various budgets, i.e. I can pull off the 3-way JRZ and toss on the 2 way Moton Clubsports, 1 set or 2 sets of wheels, radio's, Cool suit system, extra bumpers, extra seats, ceramic rotors, everything else that came out of the car etc. I am leaning towards the 60-65k range but don't hold me to that just yet as I want to complete my due diligence to ensure I am not cheating myself or the buyer. Yes you can certainly find well used 996 Cups for this price range, and they will ultimately hold thier value longer but there is more maintenance cost associated with a Cup car that is not present with this conversion. That and the my already sunk cost of the car is my main reason for having built it.

I will get some pictures of the interior tonight as I do not have any decent ones to speak of. Here is a link of a video that shows some of the dash,
The cage was built by AutoFab per Porsche Cup specifications, they have a long history of repairing and creating cages for TPC, AtSpeed, TRG etc. I have a RacePak IQ3 dash, VIO POV camera system, fire system, Full cool suit system (shirt and air w/timer), kill switches, windshield blower switch, Motorola radio system, transponder, 6 point belts for both sides, Recaro Halo and non-halo passenger seats, etc. Here is another video, NASA Hyperfest 2012 @ Summit Point from a friends car,

Last edited by Air-21; 11-20-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Air-21
Instructor

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Air-21

I assume your weight is with driver and are you running ballast ???

Peter
For a sprint race I start out at 3250ish with me, full tank of gas and about 125lbs. of ballast, so I can get through impound afterwards. If I swap out everything to get the lightest car possible, then it will come in about 2685 dry.

Quick Reply: WTB track prepped GT3