Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ownership Responsibility – Fix Your Fittings!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 01:58 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Well,

Finally got my car back from her major service at NolaSport.

Welded the fittings
All new hoses
New Waterpump
New Thermostat
New reservoir
New spark plugs
New Plug Wires
New Coils
New Fuel Filter
New Fuel Hoses
New Clutch/ Pressure Plate
New t/o bearing
New GT3 RS LWFW
New GT3RS LWCP
New semi-solid engine and tranny mounts
New Cup Shift cables
New Short Shift kit
Rebuild diff (Guard)
New engine/ tranny oil
Radiators fill with water /water wetter
Flush Brake fluid
Check wheel bearings
Install custom exhaust
Re-align and corner balance
30,000 mile service as well

Whew! She feels like a different car. More importantly,now I know that she is in good nick for my next trip to the track. Before this service, a possible issue with the car was always lingering in my head. Not saying that I won't have anything to worry about but I sure feel a lot better now, knowing that she has been gone through from bumper to bumper.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:10 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow.. must have been some bill.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

Was just thinking the same thing as I was going down that list and ticking off all the stuff I'll be doing in the not so distant future... Ugh...

Mike
Originally Posted by kk2
Wow.. must have been some bill.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Necessity - street driven GT3?

I have an 8200 mile 2005 that is not used for track purposes. I drive it 1.5 to 2thousand miles a year.

Should I consider replacement of the fittings?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

I would, and here's why... The motor/trans on these cars moves around longitudinally and causes the chassis mounted water lines to pull on the fittings. That, coupled with aging "glue" and the minimal water pressure in the system seem to all work together to pop them out at the worst times. Some guys here and in the turbo forums haven't tracked theirs at all and still had similar failures, so it's a safe bet that we're all running the risk. I'm doing mine when I drop the drivetrain for the clutch replacement.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Totally right on to fix them. Rovman OMG !! That's a big list!!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Ha ha, yeah. I must admit, it was a big bill. I will be driving this car for awhile.

To be honest, when I bought the car, it was one of the cars that were under the $50k price point. There was no past history or records with the car, other than what I could dig up at the Porsche dealer concerning services, which wasn't much. I had the car checked out and it had a good check up, but you really never know what you have until someone really goes through it.

Now I know what shape the car is in, although it did cost a lot more than I would rather spend, I figure it would pale in comparison if I would get hurt in an accident on the road or track while pushing the car. Peace of mind, I guess. Not to mention, I love this car and want to take care of it. Now I would say I have a good base to start from!!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ZSA Motorsport, NJ Did a great job for me
Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
I have an 8200 mile 2005 that is not used for track purposes. I drive it 1.5 to 2thousand miles a year.

Should I consider replacement of the fittings?
Yes and no. In your shoes, I wouldn't worry about it... but would get the fittings pinned (easier and cheaper than welding) at the next engine-drop event.

Yes, it might happen on the street, but it's not as big a deal as when it happens on the track, where those following you are at risk.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:01 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stephen – Glad you got your car back. NolaSport does great work, and they really cater to clients who track their cars. When they welded my fittings, the list of ancillary items was almost as long as yours. It was worth every penny for the peace of mind, and less expensive in the long run than doing all the mods in multiple rounds.

BTW, I saw your car when it was on the lift, and it looks terrific. Set up as it is now, it’s one of the nicest 6-3’s in the country.

Originally Posted by Rovman
Well,

Finally got my car back from her major service at NolaSport.

Welded the fittings
All new hoses
New Waterpump
New Thermostat
New reservoir
New spark plugs
New Plug Wires
New Coils
New Fuel Filter
New Fuel Hoses
New Clutch/ Pressure Plate
New t/o bearing
New GT3 RS LWFW
New GT3RS LWCP
New semi-solid engine and tranny mounts
New Cup Shift cables
New Short Shift kit
Rebuild diff (Guard)
New engine/ tranny oil
Radiators fill with water /water wetter
Flush Brake fluid
Check wheel bearings
Install custom exhaust
Re-align and corner balance
30,000 mile service as well

Whew! She feels like a different car. More importantly,now I know that she is in good nick for my next trip to the track. Before this service, a possible issue with the car was always lingering in my head. Not saying that I won't have anything to worry about but I sure feel a lot better now, knowing that she has been gone through from bumper to bumper.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbirch
Stephen – Glad you got your car back. NolaSport does great work, and they really cater to clients who track their cars. When they welded my fittings, the list of ancillary items was almost as long as yours. It was worth every penny for the peace of mind, and less expensive in the long run than doing all the mods in multiple rounds.

BTW, I saw your car when it was on the lift, and it looks terrific. Set up as it is now, it’s one of the nicest 6-3’s in the country.
Thanks for the kind words about the car Felix. I really love the car and honestly do not desire any other car. This is a first for me to be honest. Every car I have ever purchased within a few months I would fnd myself pondering about what I am going to get next. But with the 6-3 , I really am content. I thought I would want to move on to a 997.2 GT-3 within a year but this is not the case.

Ah well, OK back to the thread. Weld or pin those fittings guys/gals. None of mine were coming out "per se" but two of them were sweating. So the glue was def. Broken down
Old 12-18-2012, 02:53 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Is there a DIY anywhere for dropping the motor on your own?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just purchased a 04 GT3 with only 41,000kms from an OPC and part of the deal was that they would 'fix' the couplings. I will be having a discussion with the technician tomorrow to go over the details and I'm would I like to have some advice as to what exactly I should ask them to do? The sales guy said that they would simply 'screw in' the couplings versus epoxy??
Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^opc is clueless. If whatever they trying to screw is not the fittings. Mike
Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexl911
I just purchased a 04 GT3 with only 41,000kms from an OPC and part of the deal was that they would 'fix' the couplings. I will be having a discussion with the technician tomorrow to go over the details and I'm would I like to have some advice as to what exactly I should ask them to do? The sales guy said that they would simply 'screw in' the couplings versus epoxy??
Alex, Congrats on the car. The fittings can not be screwed in unless they mean they will pin them, which is drilling a hole through the casting into the fitting, then threading a a bolt into it, to lock the fitting in place. The pic below is what the fittings and casting look like. I think welding is better, as you can see the epoxy is done, even pinned I think it's possible they could leak under pressure. The fitting in this pic was half way out when we pulled the casting off. Came out the rest of the way no harder than pulling the cap off a pen.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Ownership Responsibility – Fix Your Fittings!