Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some have called it cheating. I say it's for safety.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:12 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Apologies for interrupting the avatar discussion

I didn't get an exact quote comparison although the estimated costs seemed similar. I wanted to have the gearbox refreshed anyway and the additional costs of the gear change was similar to the R&P change. My main motivation was that I liked 2nd right where it was as it is ideal for exiting the slower corners at Miller. I also wanted a shorter 3rd and 4th for better acceleration in those gears, I've yet to get into the new 5th although I will soon at the Edmonton Indy track then again at Miller on the full course in September. Here are the gear charts....
It's very interesting to compare the 4:00 R&P and OEM gearing with your custom 3, 4, 5 setup. If costs are equal (or close) then I think your close ratio gears are probably the better choice especially here in Cali where we don't have a long straights like at Miller.....
Old 07-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Oh boy...since when did a GT3 become a momentum car? The new stuff is getting too fast....
Old 07-04-2011, 04:10 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris R.
Oh boy...since when did a GT3 become a momentum car? The new stuff is getting too fast....
Yeah, you know how often I've had that exact thought drag racing down the straights But then comes the next corner, and all is good
Old 07-06-2011, 01:04 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi guys. Thinking about this mod too. Any experience on how the gearing or r p changes makes a difference on laptimes? My hometrack is Sebring with occasional flings to road Atlanta. Thx.

Mike
Old 07-06-2011, 09:53 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I drove both those tracks briefly with a short gearbox (stock R&P) in my Koni car and it was like adding 50hp. Going out on a limb here, but an extra 50hp should help ones lap times significantly.............

The only down side is a LOT more shifting (up and down) and therefore the chance for a rev match error is statistically increased.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Changes for my car over the winter included the gear change, electric power steering and taking an about 100 lbs out of the car. Plus I had VR smooth out some rough edges on the driver and had some suspension setup changes so not a direct comparison, but I dropped 2.5 seconds off of my Miller west track time. Down from 1:36.1 to 1:33.6. I'm in the sweet spot in the power band all the time now with more even rpm drops between all the gears. Makes it less likely to end up bogging out below the power band at any track.
The other advantage to the gear change IMO is that I'm still in the same gear for all the corners I'm used to but at a higher RPM. I didn't want to be in 4th for a corner I'm used to taking in 3rd...creature of habit
Old 07-06-2011, 01:19 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Changes for my car over the winter included the gear change, electric power steering and taking an about 100 lbs out of the car. Plus I had VR smooth out some rough edges on the driver and had some suspension setup changes so not a direct comparison, but I dropped 2.5 seconds off of my Miller west track time. Down from 1:36.1 to 1:33.6. I'm in the sweet spot in the power band all the time now with more even rpm drops between all the gears. Makes it less likely to end up bogging out below the power band at any track.
The other advantage to the gear change IMO is that I'm still in the same gear for all the corners I'm used to but at a higher RPM. I didn't want to be in 4th for a corner I'm used to taking in 3rd...creature of habit
Peter are you and your contingent coming down to Laguna again this year with POC?...
Old 07-06-2011, 04:14 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electric powersteering...

Always been interested in this as I believe the 6 cups had it. What was involved in changing it and what was the cost if you don't mind me asking? Did you lose much feel?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

JRG, just came back from a Speed Ventures weekend at Laguna with the transport truck full of DE cars so not doing the POC event this year. Still don't have my car down to 92 db but have replaced all the paint that melted off the rear bumper during last year's attempt

PMNA electric pump was about $1k...will have to look up the bill for labor but it wasn't that bad. The conversion was done as part of an all winter project which included the gearbox, taking all the suspension off and checking for cracks and replacing all the bearings, dyno and rebuild shocks, new windshield, engine out, seat brace, engine dyno + software, CF doors, plus plus plus all paid for on one awesome invoice...so I'd have to go back and sort out what the exact figure was. I don't notice any difference in feel...seems bit quicker but it was 5 months between driving with the different pumps so not a back to back comparison.

The battery in the picture has been removed and a smaller one is now beside the pump....
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

BTW car with about 1/8 tank of fuel is down to 2690 lbs. Far cheaper now to get weight off the driver than the car
Old 07-07-2011, 01:15 AM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

PMNA electric pump was about $1k....
Do you happen to have a wiring diagram for how this was installed? or pics of the connectors used to hook up?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Mike.....I don't and the car is a long way away but I will be going down to pick it up in a week or so. I can take some more pictures then.
The pump has an off/on switch on the dash and will operate with just the master power switch turned on...convenient for pushing the car around the shop. We have added an overflow container to the fluid reservoir....
Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 AM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

^thanks for the feedback, I would be interested in learning more

I have a TRW pump that looks very similar to the one in your car, not installed yet of course
Old 07-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

I had a fitting come loose after a spin on the mechanical pump last year and it sprayed oil all over the engine compartment. I decided it was a good idea to get that potential problem out of the engine compartment with the added benefit of slightly adjusting the weight end to end, apparently +7HP, and less rotating mass for the engine to spin. I saw an early 996 at Spring Mountain in February and it had a Toyota electric pump....looked like quite a nice installation. Necessary due to the installation of the V8!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Box is in with a new LWFW. Had to replace the pressure plate as well.

It's noisier. Whines under acceleration.

Will definitely pull better.

Fuel economy in 6th is long gone.

Quick Reply: Some have called it cheating. I say it's for safety.