Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have normal insurance that covers DEs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:42 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Actually, if you insure (through the link I provided) at say $55K it is ~$350 for a weekend and a slight discount if you buy a 6 event policy at $1800.
Thanks. Looks like I'm getting closer to going back to the track! Already started the search for track wheels and a truck. Just need the trailer. Or, maybe, just drive back and forth from here to Sears Point and Laguna Seca!? Now if the wife would just accept the Euro seats, I could even go back to 6-point harnesses.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Thanks. Looks like I'm getting closer to going back to the track! Already started the search for track wheels and a truck. Just need the trailer. Or, maybe, just drive back and forth from here to Sears Point and Laguna Seca!? Now if the wife would just accept the Euro seats, I could even go back to 6-point harnesses.
Joe, that's great news! I know it was difficult for a period of time. Glad everything is healing up well
Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe, welcome back to the dark side
Old 03-10-2011, 12:46 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

That's awesome Joe!!! I remember way back when when u were at a NASA event at sp. Mike
Old 03-10-2011, 12:51 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Gotta scratch that itch!!! Just have to gear-up now. Probably need a new helmet, too. Man, the $$$ keep adding up.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:09 PM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Gotta scratch that itch!!! Just have to gear-up now. Probably need a new helmet, too. Man, the $$$ keep adding up.
Don't forget a HANS please. And show us your helmet once you paint it.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:13 AM
Craig911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent nearly an hour on the phone with USAA today regarding coverage of the car for DE events. Unfortunately I did not get the answer I had hoped for and it was quite different from what another rep had told me previously. I explained what DEs were in detail, no timing, no competition, limited and controlled passing etc. They directed me to a particular exclusion on my recently renewed and updated policy on their website:

"While occupying any vehicle when it is being operated in, or in practice for, a driving contest or challenge."

In the definitions section was the following update:

"Driving contest or challenge includes, but is not limited to:
1. A competition against other people, vehicles, or time; or
2. An activity that challenges the speed or handling characteristics of a vehicle, or improves or demonstrates driving skills, provided the activity occurs on a track or course that is closed from non-participants."

She told me the car would definitely not be covered in any event on a track. I had two choices: Take my car off the policy, or promise I would not do any track events if I wanted to continue my coverage. She said if I intended to do any track events that they would cancel the policy on the car.

She did give me a number to call for another insurer who would cover the car for normal driving and DEs which I will check out.

As has been said other times in this thread, if you think your insurance covers you, check it periodically for any changes, and don't rely on just verbal answers from an agent, make sure you see it in writing and fully understand it!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:28 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Sounds like the HPDE insurance program PCA endorses is the way to go. If you just factor in the ~$350 a weekend into your total weekend cost it's peanuts in the grand scheme.

The great thing about the HPDE insurance is it is "off the books" where USAA would not be notified that it was on track, damaged, and repaired. Thus, not increasing your policy. That alone is invaluable when it comes to insurance premiums.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Rceron
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Actually, if you insure (through the link I provided) at say $55K it is ~$350 for a weekend and a slight discount if you buy a 6 event policy at $1800.
Just took a quick look. Seems like open track events (e.g., David Murry Track Days) and even Chin events (with open passing everywhere with a point by) may not qualify. I tend not to bother with PCA events anymore. I could be wrong on all this as I just did a quick glance in the FAQs. Hopefully I'm wrong...

From the site: "The event I’d like to purchase coverage for isn’t listed. How do I purchase coverage for this event?
This insurance product is intended for structured High-Performance Driver’s Education events. If the event you are attending provides instructors, classroom sessions for participants, and approved passing zones, please ask the event organizer to contact us. If they meet our required guidelines, we will make coverage available for the event."
Old 03-11-2011, 09:02 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Craig911
She said if I intended to do any track events that they would cancel the policy on the car.
This seriously rubs me the wrong way. So even if they find out you went to the track, they'll cancel your policy? Seems like they want to cancel the policy based on your behavior, not necessarily claim history....I do not have USAA BTW.

Originally Posted by Craig911
She did give me a number to call for another insurer who would cover the car for normal driving and DEs which I will check out.
Please post back with that info. Lockton has a multiple event policy, but only for PCA events listed on their site. Having said that, I bought one of their policies earlier this week for an upcoming PCA DE.

=============

Edit: Found THIS LINK which lists more events they cover. My apologies for the misstatement!

Last edited by SH || NC; 03-11-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:03 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Rey, it may be as simple as calling them and having events added to their list? If you hear anything please post back.

Are you doing the FSR PCA event at VIR in May?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Rceron
Racer

Dell, may do that if I ever find time. I'm passing on the FSR event (as of now) because I didn't like the fact that we had ONLY 3 sessions on Saturday and Sunday last year. Even with the Friday session this isn't really worth my 10 hr drive. I want to go back to Watkins Glen this year and I may do this in May with Chin. Also, I will be at VIR with David Murry Track days in April. Very expensive but I hope to get 400 track miles in two days. Gotta pick my events carefully given that we now have 3 boys ! I should change my avatar to something like yours but in an SUV.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Totally understand. At least there was a ton of track time on Friday. I actually liked the 3 sessions on the weekend since I was instructing. Gave me plenty of down time between sessions. Overall, 9-10 sessions in 3 days works for me. Then again, my tow is 1 hour
Old 03-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Craig911
Advanced

I called the number that USAA had given me for an insurance policy that they said covers DE track events. It was the Progressive Insurance company. I went through their whole process and got a quote for my GT3.

I asked about DE events and described them in detail. The rep checked with her manager and said they would cover DE events on tracks as long as there was no timing, competition etc. She said they encourage driver education! Of course, USAA told me that too about a year ago when I first enquired about this issue.

The quote for my GT3 individually was about 30% higher than what I pay with USAA for essentially the same policy. Since we only do a couple of DEs a year, it would actually be cheaper for us to stay with USAA and buy the PCA endorsed program when we need it. We have been with USAA for 20 years and it's a great company (other than not covering DEs!) so we will stick with them for now. If we ever start doing more DEs, or USAA dumps us because of all of the track questions I have been asking lately, I would consider going with Progressive. Right now we will mostly stick with autocrosses.

One issue is that she could not give me a written copy of a policy or exclusions until we went through the whole application process. I would still want to check the wording of the policy very carefully to really make sure DEs were allowed. I doubt an insurance sales rep would be very familiar with or forthcoming about all the details of the exclusions to a potential customer!

If anyone is more familiar with Progressive and their policy on DEs, please post the info.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:31 AM
va122
Drifting

no experience (with respect to DEs) with progressive except they cover my bikes (I don't track my bikes). Geico says that they cover DEs per a conversation years ago with a rep but I don't believe them for a sec. I've heard, and this is just a rumor, that they go to events and photograph peoples licence plates and cancel their insurance.

At the end of the day get track insurance and be done with all the speculation. you don't want to be on track thinking about it when you should be thinking about your driving. Unnecessary distractions.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have normal insurance that covers DEs?