Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have normal insurance that covers DEs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the input folks

At this pont I am thinking very seriously about just doing (super lame) autocross this year so i don't have to worry about this issue
Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Far less chance of damaging the car, but definitely a no-no as far as insurance goes since it is a contest, timed. Any damage would not be covered under a standard policy that covers events that are not contests or challenges.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Simply fixed....don't run for time. Just run for fun.....if you look over at the clock when you're done....well, ok...I tried.

As far as autocrosses being lame.....I beg to differ. Good autocrossers, I mean really good ones, are excellent car control technicians. I wish all drivers had to autocross before heading to the big track. Not one accomplished autocrosser I have seen does poorly on the big tracks. They have great visual skills and a great understanding of vehicle dynamics.

It really isn't easy to be a fast autocrosser.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Craig911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread inspired me to call USAA again to make sure they would insure DE events. I had previously called them a year ago and they had said sure, no problem. When I called today, they said they had to check because it was state specific (CA). The left me a voicemail later saying they made a decision last November to no longer cover any cars participating in events on tracks. They told me to call them tomorrow to either: 1. Take my car off the policy; 2. Leave the policy the same and recognize I will not be covered on a track; 3. Get a quote from them on upgrading the policy to include DEs.

It should be interesting to see how much extra they are going to charge me for DEs.

My wife and I are both signed up for a DE at Fontana on Friday, and we both just had our first competition licenses signed off last weekend, figures this would happen now!

Glad I checked though, those of you who think you are insured might want to recheck periodically with your companies.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:03 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

^ My USAA policy states as I note above. I have received no notice (amendment) to that policy, which is effective to Aug 1. Don't see how they cannot cover me.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Craig911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you are correct, I will post more details tomorrow once i talk to them.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:03 AM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they lose easily if it goes to court.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:17 AM
Fooshe
Racer

Originally Posted by TomGT3
I think they lose easily if it goes to court.
While I respect the opinion, I have seen it go the other way. New policy revisions come out routinely without an official notice outlining all the changes.

I can't say it enough....read the current policy jacket issued by your carrier in the State you insure in. One thing I find VERY intrigueing is the offer to cover you if you pay more. I am unaware of any endorsement in the industry like that. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE have them send you a copy of it. I would love to read it or at least hear what it says.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:25 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Craig,

I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that USAA will offer to cover track events with option 3. Sounds to me like they want you to tell them you are going to the track with it and then tell you that they will no longer insure that car.

Please post back what you find out.

The smart thing to do is use a company like THIS which is endorsed by PCA.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 AM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dell, it just doesn't make sense that they would want to lose my business after 20 years (5 Cars, 2 Motorcycles, and 2 Houses).
Old 03-10-2011, 10:34 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I have been with USAA for 24 years myself and I don't think for a second that I am anything more than a liability number with them once I tell them my car goes on track. There was a lengthy thread a year or two ago in the racing forum where we discussed this very thing and there were guys reporting that their insurance carrier removed their car from the policy once they learned it was being taken to the track. They see it as a risk and once they have that info they will want to minimize that risk. To think that you are more valuable to them at 20 years is not a good way to think. Sure USAA is the best out there if you can qualify for it, but make no mistake they are in the business to make money and do it very well.

Procuring track event insurance is VERY cheap and will protect you from this very gray scenario. Besides, can you imagine what will happen to your policy if you make a claim for $50-60K on a totaled GT3 that was on a track??? And that's if they even agree to pay out. Knowledge is power in the insurance industry and they notate EVERYTHING in your file that you call and "inquire" about.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Fooshe
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Craig,

I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that USAA will offer to cover track events with option 3. Sounds to me like they want you to tell them you are going to the track with it and then tell you that they will no longer insure that car.

Funny you write this Dell, I was thinking about that post last night and came to the same conclusion. I am VERY interested in the result as I have NEVER heard of this and I have been in the idustry 20 years.

My guess, they would say it can't be done and keep that in their file in case of any prior claims. One thing I am very interested in is if they ask specifically what group you will run with or what track you will be going to. If they do, DANGER! Think about it, if you are asking for blanket coverage, they don't need to know that. If you are doing single event coverage (ala locktonaffinity), than they need to list that as a single event and the location at which you are getting coverage. If that was the case, they would be promoting the hell out of it and making members aware it is available.

Sounds more like bait than a helpful rep. When I get to the office today, I am going to make a call to the Dept. of Insurance. I have a buddy there that can tell me if USAA has a filling in CA for this kind of endorsement. That will be the definiative answer.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:25 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Craig,

Dell

Since I stopped tracking a few years ago, I haven't followed up on HPDE-specific insurance. Last I looked, a 6-7 weekend policy would cost an average of $800/weekend, $5000. Is that still in the ballpark of what policies cost nowadays?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:27 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Actually, if you insure (through the link I provided) at say $55K it is ~$350 for a weekend and a slight discount if you buy a 6 event policy at $1800.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Fooshe
Racer

Originally Posted by TomGT3
Dell, it just doesn't make sense that they would want to lose my business after 20 years (5 Cars, 2 Motorcycles, and 2 Houses).
I think Dell addressed your statement well.

Yes, you give them lots of premium, but think of the exposure if you had one loss a year. Let's say the 5 cars cost $6,000, your motorcycles are $1,000 and your homes are $3,000 a year. That makes your bill total $10,000 a year. If you have one loss and you total a $70k car, it will take them 7 years to break even, right? Wrong! There is the cost of the operation and administration of your policy. Couple that with the cost of handling your claim and inflation, it would take close to 8 years of premiums just to break even!

Now remember, they know you are not a professional race car driver and you are going to be a speeds most people are not comfortable at nor are capable of handling if they loose control of their car.

Still think they won't give you up for someone like you who doesn't track their car(s)?

Quick Reply: Does anyone have normal insurance that covers DEs?