Sponsored by:

Best track seats and roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:14 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best track seats and roll bar

Over the winter I'm looking to install a roll bar and new seats in my (new to me) '04 GT3 - any recommendations. For the roll bar I'm considering the Tequipment (if I can find one) or the Das Sport. For the seats I would like seats that can accomodate a proper harness - not sure if I want fixed back (e.g., Euro GT3 if I can find at a reasonable price) or seats that recline. I will probably be using the car 50/50 street/track. Thanks!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:38 AM
joeycannoli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't go wrong with the GT3 seats. I don't have any track experience with them, but i have sat in them several times and really enjoy them.

As for the roll bar, I have heard the Tequipment bar is a real pain in the *** to get installed into a car that came from the factory without the bar.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:55 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I like using OEM equipment as it makes the car look "right" for street use. In my old 996, I put in aftermarket seats and roll bar and the car looked a bit Frankenstein-ish. Not bad, just cobbled together. With the Porsche equipment, the car looks much better. Euro GT3 seats and Tequipment roll bar all the way for me.

That being said, if you are tall, the GMG bar has an extra inch or two built in.

-td
Old 12-23-2010, 01:16 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the Euro GT3 seats and they are very acceptable for street use. To HIMSELF's point... Get a set and make the car look right.

As for the bar, you may want to consider looking into the RSS bars as well. They have a new bar type that goes out to the rear strut towers in addition to the Tequipment-like bar that reaches out to the rear seatbelt mounting points. I have an RSS bar and can vouch for the quality.
http://rss.rpmware.com/rss/rss_4_poi.../i-402509.aspx
Old 12-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by mjp111569
Over the winter I'm looking to install a roll bar and new seats in my (new to me) '04 GT3 - any recommendations. For the roll bar I'm considering the Tequipment (if I can find one) or the Das Sport. For the seats I would like seats that can accomodate a proper harness - not sure if I want fixed back (e.g., Euro GT3 if I can find at a reasonable price) or seats that recline. I will probably be using the car 50/50 street/track. Thanks!!!
I agree the 996 GT3 recaros (that used to be around $1300 a seat) are excellent for both road and track.

The Techquipment bar is "ok" but is usually a test of ones patience to install; DAS, GMG and RSS are all excellent alternatives.

If you are going to track, you should also treat yourself to a set of Schroth 6pt harnesses (and the sub harness bars for the recaros)

you might be lucky and find a used set of the seats on RL, otherwise start saving as they are no longer such a great deal anymore
Old 12-23-2010, 02:38 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are going to use harnesses, you should definately use a HANS. I have Euro GT3 seats and a DAS bar - both of which I like a lot - but I don't use harnesses (I don't like the clutter) partly because I don't use a HANS. With harnesses you don't get the benefit of the airbags. (Someone please tell me if my logic is flawed).
Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3'er
If you are going to use harnesses, you should definately use a HANS. I have Euro GT3 seats and a DAS bar - both of which I like a lot - but I don't use harnesses (I don't like the clutter) partly because I don't use a HANS. With harnesses you don't get the benefit of the airbags. (Someone please tell me if my logic is flawed).
I think a HANS is a personal choice, it makes things a lot safer, but also so do the 6pts ... you wont hit the wheel/windshield in a 6 pt which is what the steering wheel bag is for, side bags I think are just as effective regardless of belt used.

Tracking in a 6pt is safer than doing so in a 3pt ...
Old 12-23-2010, 03:41 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, love your family and get harnesses
Old 12-23-2010, 03:56 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

Very happy with the DAS bar. It is the third one I've had in as many Porsches. Look at the tequipment bar, the GMG and the DAS. There is quite a difference in strength, IMHO. Look at the attachment points, look at the way the tubes attach to the frame. Also, be sure to try the seats before you buy them. Some fit better body shapes than others.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:22 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

GT3 Euro Seats, DAS Roll Bar - black and blends in with the rest of the car interior, schroth 6-point, and HANS Professional. Euro seats are OK for street - liveable. Safety is the highest priority. Remember, you only have one melon and need to be properly protected.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:15 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,568 Likes on 2,122 Posts

I've used GT3 Recaro seats, Schroth 5pt and Teq bar. Very very happy with it. As someone mentioned, these were supposed to be with the car.

If you track, always harness instead of 3 pt. cheap insurance.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:19 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use harnesses (you really should on the track), then you need a H&N restraint. Try HANS, DefNder, etc. Find one that fits you well and use it.

For the bar, I'm happy with the DAS bar. Very beefy and easy to install at home. Only problem with it in my area is it won't meet the local rules for solosprint and hillclimbs so I'm sol. If something beside DE interests you, check your local rules to see what you need.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:15 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT3 RS OEM rear cage fits well, is relatively light weight and adds stiffness to the car. Euro GT3 seats are great for mixed duty.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:30 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
If you use harnesses (you really should on the track), then you need a H&N restraint. Try HANS, DefNder, etc. Find one that fits you well and use it.

For the bar, I'm happy with the DAS bar. Very beefy and easy to install at home. Only problem with it in my area is it won't meet the local rules for solosprint and hillclimbs so I'm sol. If something beside DE interests you, check your local rules to see what you need.
Hey Allan. What prevented dasbar from passing the rules? Mike
Old 12-23-2010, 10:36 PM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like the Teq or Das bar is the way to go. I'd love to go for the Euro GT3 seats but I can't find them for less than $3k each. Has anyone tried the Maxspeed-Motorsports 997 GT3 Carbon Fiber Replica Seats? They're about $1.9k for a pair (in leather), including all mounting hardware. Harness is a definite.

Quick Reply: Best track seats and roll bar