Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennline wheel studs, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:57 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have not seen ARP 14x1.5 wheel studs.......

I use the Rennline ones on 3 of our cars, no issues. But I do like the look of Alan's Apex ones....

Cheers
Old 12-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all. Apex wouldn't tell me what version fits my application! Maybe they've had problems advising customers. Anyway, I ordered the rennline ones. I only do DEs, so I don't need the "top shelf" models.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:31 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look; I have it all broken out, and Bill even chimed in. (link) Although I am not running the Rennline "Performance" stud flavor; Dell is, on his TT.

These (mine, the "Race" studs) absolutely work for our application The 'Rennline ones' come from Bildon (Apex) I believe.

Apex

Rennline

Old 12-22-2010, 08:13 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Number54
Thanks all. Apex wouldn't tell me what version fits my application! Maybe they've had problems advising customers. Anyway, I ordered the rennline ones. I only do DEs, so I don't need the "top shelf" models.
I tried to contact Apex and it took them FOREVER to get back to me. That's how I found the Rennline studs while checking out their site. Very happy with Rennline customer service and will definitely use them again in the future.

If your application is the GT3 (or any modern Porsche) you want the 14x1.5 and the ball-seat nuts (not conical).
Old 12-22-2010, 12:45 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

I picked up these ones from Apex (track variant, not street):

What I like about these is the short unthreaded bit on the end. Helps to locate the nut to reduce the chance of cross-threading if you try to hurry things along. Not as speed-friendly as the bullet-nosed studs, but is a good compromise for me.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:14 PM
joeycannoli
Racer

Going to order a set of Rennline studs. You guys are using Conical for stock wheels, correct?

I started using studs with my S4 when things got difficult when changing the wheels. I had my wheels, floating rotors and spacers to try and line up. Needless to say it is such a PITA i will never go without studs again.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Ball seat NOT conical
Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Lightbulb

^+1

link

Originally Posted by ApexComp
Scott, first of all thank you for your purchase. I wanted to post a better link to installation instructions for those who are looking to do a stud/nut conversion.

There is a PDF linked here also if you want to print out some instructions.
http://www.apexcompetition.com/Produ...ud_install.cfm

A couple of other notes about out products.. we have 3 new designs coming out very soon specifically for Boxster, Cayman and GT3 etc. These 3 should cover most wheel / spacer / car combos.

Also, please make sure that you never use an acid based based wheel cleaner on our products! This stuff is caustic (obviously) and while it does a good job at removing caked on brake dust, it also attacks coated steel quite well. We've used "Simple Green" (like many of you) on our street 996 which has a set of both our performance studs up front and our "race" studs in back... and it's going on 3 years now with no significant corrosion.

Lastly, an important safety note. Many other retailers are selling "ball seat" Nuts for Porsche. But what does this mean? Ask them if they are R12, R13 or R14 radius nuts, you'll most likely draw a blank stare. M14x1.5 VW/Audi nuts are commonly sold as "ball seat" nuts for Porsche.... yet they will NOT seat properly on an OE Porsche wheel !

See this photo.

Notice the tiny band where it contacted the wheel seat? This was the only area of the nut that was contacting the wheel because VW/Audi nuts use a different radius. So don't bolt on those Mercedes, Honda or VW/Audi ball seat wheel nuts when what you need are PORSCHE specific wheel nuts!

OK well I have hijacked enough of your thread Scott. Apologies for that!
PS - Beautiful car BTW.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:45 AM
joeycannoli
Racer

Thanks guys, I was used to running conical on my Audi
Old 04-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Number54
Apex wouldn't tell me what version fits my application! Maybe they've had problems advising customers.
Yes, That is exactly correct. We used to give suggestions and all too often failed miserably at being correct.

Why? Because there are many more variables than at first glance and folks were not getting us all the info.

Wheel types vary (even amongst supposedly similar factory wheels 996 mk1 vs 996 mk2 GT3 wheels for example). The mounting faces of different wheels vary dramatically in thickness. People's preferences vary as well. Some want lots of stud showing, some want the nut right at the end. Brake rotor hat thickness differs if you have aftermarket, or race disks. Wheels spacers, nuff said there.

So yes we stopped giving advice and instead have put the onus on our customers to measure (gasp!) and tell us what lengths were needed. Its the only way to be sure you get what you need.

I've been away from Rennlist all winter... driving the e46 330i ZHP 'beater' as the Porsche slept. However spring is here, and so am I. If you have questions... I'll try to answer them.

Later I'll post a simple way to determine what length you need using one of your old wheel bolts as a guide.

PS - If you do want to speak with a human about your choices PM me and ask for a dealer who is able to give phone support. I'm just the engineer, we're not good with people
Old 04-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Apex996
Pro

Originally Posted by joeycuccaro
Thanks guys, I was used to running conical on my Audi
Must have been aftermarket wheels then correct? VW/Audi wheels use an R13 (13mm radius) wheel bolt to interface with the factory wheels.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:44 PM
joeycannoli
Racer

Yeah, they were on a set of RS-GT's
Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Apex996
Pro

As promised here is where I posted the info on an easy means to determine wheel stud length.

Last edited by Apex996; 04-14-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-15-2011, 01:36 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Bill, I sent Apex an e-mail this afternoon to make sure I had picked the proper "stuff".

- Is the diff between Race and Pro studs simply the length of the bullet/tip? (i.e. same material?)
- Per the link you posted, if stock bolts are 60mm long proper stud would be the 65mm one. Any problem/benefit going to 80mm instead? Seems to me that the 80 would be better and allow for more wheels down the road, no?

Thanks,
Francois
Old 04-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Apex996
Pro

Originally Posted by FFaust
- Is the diff between Race and Pro studs simply the length of the bullet/tip? (i.e. same material?)
Often, yes. But as the products continue to be refined we make additional changes. The "Pro Series" line is getting a bump up in design & materials. Pro line will all use "rolled" threads instead of cut. The "Pro Series" will also be using alloys which exceed the capabilities of the "Race Series".

- Per the link you posted, if stock bolts are 60mm long proper stud would be the 65mm one.
"It depends". For a GT3 wheel, Do you want to be able to thread the nut on easily with your fingers? Or do you plan to fish it down into the bolt hole with a socket? Also, are you looking at Pro series or Race series? An 80mm Pro series has about the same usable thread as the 65mm Race Series. (see detailed dimensional pic on the Race-Studs.com site under the 'Details' tab.

Regarding your email, you reference OEM & OZ wheels. Very different wheel designs on those. You really need to work through the component dimensions and determine what is needed.

- Any problem/benefit going to 80mm instead? Seems to me that the 80 would be better and allow for more wheels down the road, no?
No "problem" per se. But I'm guessing just a lot of extra stud hanging out there when you have the OZ's bolted up. (assuming you mean M14.DE.80 and not M14.Pro.80) Again..variables.

Recently did a 997.1 GT3 with both OEM & CCW14's. The OEM wheels "wanted" M14.Pro.80s while the CCW "wanted" Pro 70s. However he had removed the rear spacer, added a front spacer, etc etc ... it's never obvious until you start measuring and trying one out. In fact that is the best way to know for sure. Get 1 stud..test it on both front & rear. Then you can get a set which you know will work.

Thanks,
Francois
You are most welcome.

Quick Reply: Rennline wheel studs, any good?