Sponsored by:

Please Let Me Introduce...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why so much poo poo on the Teq bar?

It’s a factory piece that bolts in and doesn’t require any carpet cutting, and works flawlessly with the factory Euro seats and the factory harnesses, which for DE is pretty nice.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:43 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Not FIA approved, not crash tested, not a Porsche Motorsport part and again you cut some plastic to fit it.

But as you said as 6-point harness bar it does the job perfectly and also looks nice from outside.

IMO a more show than go type of mod.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:45 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

To each his own I suppose. What you call a show piece, I call a crucial piece of safety equipment.

I don’t drive a race car just a street GT3. The Teq rool/harness bar is more than adequate for my driving style, speeds, and safety needs. I don’t know if my seats or harnesses are FIA and crash tested either, but I place trust in Porsche that they will meet my needs, and I think its disingenuous imply otherwise for people with similar plans for their GT3.

I have a hard time thinking that any of the aftermarket bars are FIA and crash tested. If I am wrong, post the info I’ll take a big bite of humble pie.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:02 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I got the Teq bar in mine too.. it came w/ the car when I bought it.

Do I think it is the best bar out there? No. I think there are ones that's better. But do I think it offers additional protection? Absolutely.

So I'm okay w/ it for now. If one becomes more seriously, of course, then a full cage would be the way to go.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:06 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Fully agree.

Apologies to FFaust for the OT.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

There are several vids that guys have posted of GT3's flipping and rolling with the Teq bar and it works as advertised. As has been said, is it the best option? Absolutely not. But it is a perfect plug and play with ZERO cutting or modifying to the car.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:04 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Scott no disrespect for your car or choice of bar mate! Besides I said more show than go I didn’t say only for show! Of course having it there is better than not having one at all!
But having survived two major car crashes and a roll over out of a 20 meter cliff, I have seen the forces of a crash in action so perhaps I am more sensitive to safety matters than the next guy. Therefore I stand firm that one should always buy the best available safety hardware.
This roll bar or any similar bar doesn’t cut it for me. A cage or roll bar is only as strong as it weakest links which are usually the welds the links and the mounting points. The Porsche T equipment uses 4 bolts and is not even using the rear struts. I see an obvious problem there.
If you are asking for other aftermarket roll bars I don’t have information about them.
What I have is the test sheet for the factory 996 clubsport cage that exceeds all 2003 FIA standards in all points. The two newer oem clubsport cages of the 997 are even better because fortunately for us Porsche is implementing changes in them according to knowledge gained on the cup cars.
I think that for a dual purpose car the factory bolt roll cage rear (and) front is the way to go.
And if you are into racing then a full welded proper cage made by someone with experience who follows some rules would make perfect sense.
Cheers.

F no apologies for the OT I know you like when people post in your threads
Old 12-16-2010, 03:13 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

One other caveat with roll bars is to check the rules for anything beside DE. If you want to try a hillclimb, solosprint or time attack variant of any kind, check the rules. In my area, the Teq bar and my DAS bar won't meet the rule requirements to run hillclimbs or even solosprints at our local racetrack.

I'm allowed to run lap times at a DE faster than the vast majority of solosprint guys, but I'm not allowed on the track with them. Probably a good thing for all concerned.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:05 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SH || NC
Fully agree.

Apologies to FFaust for the OT.
What are you talking about, this is great info
Old 12-16-2010, 04:06 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
F no apologies for the OT I know you like when people post in your threads
Old 04-17-2011, 01:32 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

So to finish the story, the BN is now complete; I installed some "missing" goodies and a few extra for good measure
Attached Images     
Old 04-17-2011, 01:44 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Looks very+very nice, I am sure it even rides better than it looks; awesome
Old 04-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

How is the motor mount? Stiff? Too much so or good?
Nice wing...I'm jealous.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris R.
Nice wing...I'm jealous.
It's a safety wing.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:59 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Chris, I have only driven on the road so it's hard to tell. Also, there is so much going on that it's hard to isolate cause and effect. Remember, the only rubber left on this car is wrapped around the wheels Nothing about this car is subtle. Either you are driving it, or it is driving you, but I have to say that the car is absolutely fantastic. Communicative beyond belief.

I also considered the Rennline rigid mounts, which would have been a bit cheaper, but I wanted to keep "some" compliance. Very easy mod BTW. I have the 997 transmission mount and will install it soon.

Can't wait to try the car with the new upper control arms - rain and snow today here however.

That should do it for this year. All that will be left for next year is the gearing and I should have had time to re-mortgage my house by then.

Thanks Fatih, and yes Chris M, it's a safety wing. You know, it helps to keep the back end planted.

Quick Reply: Please Let Me Introduce...