Sponsored by:

life insurance and DE's

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default life insurance and DE's

Probably an off-topic thread but here it goes. For those that have life insurance do your carriers consider DE and any non-timed events as "racing" and thus put you in the "standard" category--most likely with incremental premiums on top of Standard? I've filled out questionnaires from the carriers and they focus on "racing". As such I describe as best as I can what the DE's are all about. I fill out the surveys as I don't want to gamble with falsification should my wife and children need this. Any thoughts? Thx.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:56 PM
jittsl
Racer

I have never had Life insurance but when my Umbrella (all inclusive public liability) Insurance company dicovered that I drove DE they immediately cancelled.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

How did they find out? Why would they drop for an untimed, non-racing event?

By the way, I grew up in SA!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Rceron
Racer

I have not been dropped. I don't have a policy. I'm looking to setup a proper policy. I want to be forthcoming as I wouldn't want my wife to encounter issues on a technicality. I'm willing to pay more but I guess i want to know if carriers are truly pricing for differences between DE's and actual racing.

Originally Posted by LVDell
By the way, I grew up in SA!
SA ???
Old 06-24-2010, 06:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

San Antonio
Old 06-24-2010, 07:23 PM
jittsl
Racer

Hey Dell I moved to SA a couple of years ago, live near Bourne in the hills and love it (although I do miss the comradery of the NER PCA out of Boston where I previously lived).

In answer to your question it all started when I happen to decribe my trailer as a race car trailer when renewing my auto insurance with the same company. A week later I get a call from the Umbrella people asking if I drive a race car? I replied no. After a couple of other questions they asked if I regularly drive on circuits designed for racing? I said yes (because I always believe that lying to an insurance company is no win) and went into great detail explaining what a DE event was. 2 days later the insurance was cancelled.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Amazing. They probably have no doubt heard about the incident in Cali several years ago with the CGT double fatality and the lawsuits that followed.

Wow, Boston to SA? That's a serious change. Boerne is a great place to live just outside the city. Just far enough to escape big city life and just close enough to have all the conveniences. To be honest, one reason my wife and I didn't move back after she finished her residency was there really didn't seem to be the PCA presence (nor tracks close) that we have out here in NC.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:27 PM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm, that reminds me...I need to call mine and tell them I've "retired" from racing!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:14 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

My financial advisor & Life insurance guy had it covered because it is not a timed event... Policy's are so black & white... They actually had a harder time with AutoX because at the time I did that a lot of it.

And it is of my opinion that if you are married and for sure if you have kids you should have life insurance..
Old 06-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Rceron
Racer

Originally Posted by 007DT
My financial advisor & Life insurance guy had it covered because it is not a timed event... Policy's are so black & white... They actually had a harder time with AutoX because at the time I did that a lot of it.

And it is of my opinion that if you are married and for sure if you have kids you should have life insurance..
So in your case your carrier priced your policy as if DE's were racing. They in effect didn't make a distinction.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:22 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't think so as I was insured as preferred... It's been about 6 years or so I was in my late 20's at the time.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:48 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Most reputable companies will have a motorsports questionnaire. You will want to be positively honest with your application, as there is little way for you personally to argue it when its time for it to pay out.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Aflac has personal accident insurance and they would cover a DE incident. In NJ, DE coverage is included for PCA events through High Point Insurance. It probably would apply to non PCA events if not timed. Hopefully I'll never need to find out.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Rceron
Racer

Originally Posted by BC
Most reputable companies will have a motorsports questionnaire. You will want to be positively honest with your application, as there is little way for you personally to argue it when its time for it to pay out.
This is exactly what I've done. I just want to know if the insurance companies are distinguishing between DE's and real racing. It seems like they don't. I don't mind paying more. I just want to know that this is consistent across most life insurance carriers.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Rceron
Racer

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Aflac has personal accident insurance and they would cover a DE incident. In NJ, DE coverage is included for PCA events through High Point Insurance. It probably would apply to non PCA events if not timed. Hopefully I'll never need to find out.
are you referring to life insurance or car insurance?

Quick Reply: life insurance and DE's