Sponsored by:

Problems with Fikse?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pojefferson
Dave - I'm very interested in your test case, and how that turns out. I'm also interested in the precise look of the black anodized Profil 5's. Had you seen them somewhere else, or perhaps have a picture (on another car)?
I've seen many examples mainly at the track, but I do not have any pictures other than those on the Fikse website. I am concerned with the possibility (and history) of the finish turning purple, but I was told by Danny Goll (Fikse Sales) that Kodiak is utilizing a different vendor to anodize the wheels, so we'll see how the finish holds up over time. My car is Prussian Blue, so purple will match if the wheels do change color.

Regards, Dave
Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Default Updated Production Schedule

Alan Baylis (VP Sales & Mkt @ Fikse) called this past week and we discussed the production schedule for my wheel order. Alan indicated that the wheels are scheduled to be completed the week of 14 June, which would be 6 weeks from the order date. So far, so good ... I'll be following up with Fikse in 3 weeks to check on the schedule.

I received some new rubber from the Tire Rack this week, 255's up front & 315's in the rear. I'm just guessing, but me thinks the old 930 will be looking real good.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:40 PM
pojefferson
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
Alan Baylis (VP Sales & Mkt @ Fikse) called this past week and we discussed the production schedule for my wheel order. Alan indicated that the wheels are scheduled to be completed the week of 14 June, which would be 6 weeks from the order date. So far, so good ... I'll be following up with Fikse in 3 weeks to check on the schedule.

I received some new rubber from the Tire Rack this week, 255's up front & 315's in the rear. I'm just guessing, but me thinks the old 930 will be looking real good.
so.... what's the word? Did you get your wheels? Is the Fikse machine back in business?
Old 06-26-2010, 10:30 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen many examples mainly at the track, but I do not have any pictures other than those on the Fikse website. I am concerned with the possibility (and history) of the finish turning purple, but I was told by Danny Goll (Fikse Sales) that Kodiak is utilizing a different vendor to anodize the wheels, so we'll see how the finish holds up over time. My car is Prussian Blue, so purple will match if the wheels do change color.

Regards, Dave
I will post a pic. I have had 4 sets of Fikse. The first set turned purple back in 2002. When looking for a new set they promised that they fixed in (2004) and if it did turn color would replace at no charge. Never did discolor and either have any other.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Default I wish I had better news

so.... what's the word? Did you get your wheels? Is the Fikse machine back in business?
No wheels yet and it's been 8 weeks. Original schedule was 5 weeks, now I'm being told 3 more weeks ... "worst case scenario". I'm told by Fikse that they are experiencing a number of issues, but I'm hopeful that the latest production schedule will hold true.

I will say this, Danny Goll (Fikse) has been very forthright with regards to the issues effecting the timely production of my wheels and as a business owner, I can sympathize with Fikse's predicament. While I'm not happy with the delay, my main concern is product quality and that's why I ordered the wheels in the first place.

Regards, Dave
Old 06-30-2010, 09:14 AM
pojefferson
Rennlist Member

I wish you luck, and I hope this works out. This was very similar to my situation. The was a lot of communication with me on the issues with the manufacturer (Fikse); i.e. re-tooling, addressing quality issues, etc. It was all explained very clearly, and make a lot of sense at the time. I have about 15 saved emails, and had a half-dozen voice-to-voice discussions - all saying "very soon", or "any day now". My order was placed in Nov 2009, and I have no ETA. I tried to be understanding, but I got my money back. In the interim, I'm looking at BBS and Forgeline.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Default Moving on

I wish you luck, and I hope this works out. This was very similar to my situation. The was a lot of communication with me on the issues with the manufacturer (Fikse); i.e. re-tooling, addressing quality issues, etc. It was all explained very clearly, and make a lot of sense at the time. I have about 15 saved emails, and had a half-dozen voice-to-voice discussions - all saying "very soon", or "any day now". My order was placed in Nov 2009, and I have no ETA. I tried to be understanding, but I got my money back. In the interim, I'm looking at BBS and Forgeline.
I cancelled my order with Fikse, too many issues and my gut was telling me to run. This is the second wheel company I've tried to work with and I've come to the conclusion that these companies outsource so much of their product that they can't schedule their wheel production with any accuracy.

I'm working with the folks at Forgeline and they claim that all of their wheels are built in-house, including the finish. I'll be placing the order this week and we'll see how it goes.

Regards, Dave
Old 07-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Fikse Wheels
Former Vendor

David,
I wanted to publicly apologize for not being able to finish your order in a timely manner. We have taken on a very difficult task and it is taking some time to accomplish. We are making progress. The new Fikse has shipped over 200 wheels and we are building inventory. On that note, I did want to clarify something, Fikse Wheels does manufacture rim halves and center sections in house.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:30 PM
cbennettus
Instructor

I am quite remiss in bringing folks up to date on my situation with Fikse. As I stated in the original post, I had sent my wheels in for repair a few months before Fikse shut the doors.

After the sale to Kodiak was complete, I was contacted by Will Anthis in February. He had recently joined the new Fikse organization and they were working through the list of people who had wheels in repair when Fikse went out of business. Will indicated Fikse would be starting production again in mid-March and they would contact me again to determine whether Jim Fikse (who had absconded with all the wheels) had returned them yet. Interestingly, in that timeframe I actually got a call from Jim saying he needed my address to return the wheels. I returned the call, and left my address on his voicemail. I never heard from him again.

Anyway, I heard back from Fikse in the late March / early April timeframe. We went back through the details for my wheels and about four weeks later, my new rear wheels arrived. During that time, the new owner of Fikse - Darryl - kept me abreast of the progress. I appreciated the efforts.

In short it took a while, but they came through...

Old 07-05-2010, 09:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

fikse is a big and very good name in wheel industry at least in USA.
i never liked them, despite having 4 sets, mainly due to service issues.
now they changed ownership and certainly there are, were and will be hardships, growing pains etc. but it is during this chaotic times that the name and reputation can be re-established. when things are smooth, perfection is expected. when **** break lose and perfection is delivered, then the fikse name would be shining again. i wish the new owner best of luck.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Fikse built me custom wheels for my race car this winter. I mean custom, weird bolt pattern (Arial Atom 3). Great wheels and no issues. Glad Kodiak salvaged them.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Fikse Wheels
Former Vendor

Mooty and Bob,
Thank you for the kind words. Yes we have a difficult job ahead of us. Although it can be hard to see from the outside much has been accomplished and things are improving. Keep an eye out for our new web site, new styles, more sizes, faster turnaround...
Old 07-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the "new" Fikse doing anything about "old" black wheels turning purple?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Fikse Wheels
Former Vendor

Please contact me directly about your fading anodizing.
alan@fikse.com
Originally Posted by Qwickrick
Is the "new" Fikse doing anything about "old" black wheels turning purple?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Default Updated Information Forgeline

I cancelled my order with Fikse, too many issues and my gut was telling me to run. This is the second wheel company I've tried to work with and I've come to the conclusion that these companies outsource so much of their product that they can't schedule their wheel production with any accuracy.

I'm working with the folks at Forgeline and they claim that all of their wheels are built in-house, including the finish. I'll be placing the order this week and we'll see how it goes.

Regards, Dave
Just a quick update with regards to my wheel order with Forgeline. When I placed the order, I was told 4-5 weeks and I received a call this morning (4 weeks to the day) that my wheels are shipping today! Now that's the way it should work. Kudos to the folks @ Forgeline. I'll post some picks of the wheels when they arrive early next week ... All black matte finish.

Regards, Dave

Quick Reply: Problems with Fikse?